Would win over MSU be "meaningful"?

Any BT wins at this point in TB's tenure are meaningful, significant and important for the improvement and growth of the program. Losses are not helpful for program progress on many different levels.

Signature? Usually wins get that moniker with some historical perspective, although a real shocker like the PSU W can get instant signature status as would a USC bombshell next September.

A W vs MSU would surprise a lot of the GG/TB cynical skeptics here and obviously open the door for euphoric speculation on GH for even bigger shockers ahead and an attractive bowl bid. With cold, bad weather forecast, an electric high-energy night under the lights and a big 12th man effect, the Gs have a very good shot at grinding out a W even without Deck. If Sparty enters the Bank expecting a gimmie, they are going down imho.

Every win is significant since every win has some sort of Bowl ramifications along with statement concerning the progress or regress of the team.

I think a win against MSU would also suggest the team is stabilizing a little and getting a little confidence back.

VERY meaningful win, given the recent events. I would also concur that the IL game is a slam dunk if we figure out MSU this weekend.

If we beat MSU, then it means that we either a) figured out something on O that can get us through the remaining games or b) showed resiliency on D and scored on ST.

If we lose to MSU then we are in the same spot we currently are in ... and the mouth breathers will be out in full force.

I would also say that we throw the whole Jed Fisch playbook at Iowa in the final game.

As others have said, it's meaningful and significant but not signature. Let's remember that this MSU team was an eyelash away from beating the 4th ranked team in the country last week.

Iowa, PSU, OSU and Sconnie are locks to be above the Gophers in bowl selection. That leaves MN, Michigan, MSU, NW and possibly Purdue vying for that 5th spot (Alamo/Champs)...a decent bowl certainly higher than Insight and Pizza-Pizza. MN has already beaten NW and Purdue so the chances of us being selected above those schools are great. MN would most likely be picked behind MSU and certainly would be picked behind Michigan if a bowl was given the opportunity.

Therefore we need to beat MSU, hope that PSU beats them so they finish 6-6. Remember that a 6 win team can't be chosen above a 7 win team (which I assume we'd be by beating MSU, Illinois and SDSU). That leaves Michigan. Michigan is at 5 wins and will probably lose to @Sconnie and OSU...meaning Michigan's game against Purdue would be crucial for them to finish above 6 wins.

So beating MSU would be very significant and then Purdue beating Michigan would be equally significant from a Gophers perspective. If those 2 things happen we are probably bound for Alamo or Champs (depending on if the Big Ten gets 2 BCS teams and which bowl chooses first).

Not so much a meaningful, or signature win so much as a necessary win. This season (some might even argue the program) is arguably at a watershed moment right now where we can either dust ourselves off and salvage what's left or plunge into oblivion, with a lot more questions than answers going into next season.

What questions do you have going into next season? everyone we lose will be getting replaced by someone better and hopefully some we don't lose will be getting replaced by someone better. We have more answers than questions next season but the real answers come 2011 and 2012 When we play with all Brewster players. I by the way am not predicting a winning season next year, if we are at or just below .500 we are where we should be for now

Remember that a 6 win team can't be chosen above a 7 win team.

That is not totally correct. A 6-6 team can be chosen ahead of a 7-5 team if ALL bowl eligible Big Ten teams have a spot to go. In other words, if there are 7 bowl eligible teams in the Big Ten with 7 locked in bowls, then the Champs Bowl could choose a 6-6 MSU or 6-6 Michigan over a 7-5 Minnesota.

A 6-6 team cannot go to a bowl game if it means leaving a 7-5 team at home. But, if all have places to go, then a 6-6 team can be chosen over a 7-5 team.

VERY meaningful win, given the recent events. I would also concur that the IL game is a slam dunk if we figure out MSU this weekend.

College football is a strange thing to figure out....and we have a history of huge let downs after a big win....an Illinois team with absolutely nothing to lose will not be an easy game no matter what happens against MSU. Same goes for SDSU in my opinion. You simply can't overlook anyone, or say that's a for sure win.

College football is a strange thing to figure out....and we have a history of huge let downs after a big win....an Illinois team with absolutely nothing to lose will not be an easy game no matter what happens against MSU. Same goes for SDSU in my opinion. You simply can't overlook anyone, or say that's a for sure win.

Agreed. "Sure wins" have been the graveyard of many BT gamers.

Top Bottom