Would win over MSU be "meaningful"?

Maroon

This guy gets it!
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about how Brewster has never got that "signature" win in his short tenure so far. Obviously most people are talking about a win over Iowa or Wisconsin or one of the top teams like Penn State or Ohio State.

So given that the team is coming off of two pretty bad outings and the fact that they have lost their best player, and throw in that the criticism directed at Brewster is for sure at an all-time high in his tenure, what would a win against Michigan State mean?

Would it be "meaningful"? Would it be "significant"? Would it be a potential job-saver? I guess I'd stop short of calling it a "signature" win, but with everything that's going on right now, I think a win on Saturday would be pretty huge for both Brewster and the program.

What say you? I want to hear from both the Mouth Breathers and Kool-Aid & The Gang.

It would be significant because MSU is a program similar to the Gophers (vs. a coach also in his 3rd year), and it would bring a solid (7-5, 4-4) season realistically into play. It would clearly be Brew's best victory to date.

However, in my opinion it would not be a signature win. The only signature win opportunity remaining is, obviously, Iowa.

It would be significant because MSU is a program similar to the Gophers (vs. a coach also in his 3rd year), and it would bring a solid (7-5, 4-4) season realistically into play. It would clearly be Brew's best victory to date.

However, in my opinion it would not be a signature win. The only signature win opportunity remaining is, obviously, Iowa.

+1

Signature - No
Meaningfull - No doubt.

A win over MSU guarantees wins against Illinois and SDSU. A decisive loss to MSU could send this team into a tailspin and then all bets are off. A solid effort in a losing cause to MSU could still net a couple of wins.

Signature - No
Meaningfull - No doubt.

A win over MSU guarantees wins against Illinois and SDSU. A decisive loss to MSU could send this team into a tailspin and then all bets are off. A solid effort in a losing cause to MSU could still net a couple of wins.

I wouldn't go THAT far.......

To me, a signature win is either a) a win in a huge game for the program or b) a win against a national power

Beating Iowa and Wisconsin doesn't qualify as signature wins, unless they have huge ramifications for the Gophers (like the several times a terrible performance against Iowa cost us significantly better Bowl games).

I thought Brewster had a meaningful win last at Illinois, before they collapsed. That game had a lot of people excited at the time.

If Iowa comes to TCF Stadium undefeated it will be.......

+1

I would add that MSU is a dangerous, athletic team that entered this season with legitimate Big Ten title aspirations. When you consider the quality of ball they've played the last month it would be an extremely impressive win.

MSU is a must win-period. We can't lose three in a row and expect anyone to be happy with the season imo. 6-6 might be good enough for a bowl game, but it just shows we had yet another season where we started fine and ended weak.

Without question, it would tremendously meaningful! We need it even more than that. I'm pumped.

They need to win. Period. Otherwise the 5 game tailspin that ended 2008 could be eclipsed this year. Get back on track, force turnovers and take care of the ball on offense/special teams.

A win over MSU means that I'll do a little less mouth breathing and return to "let's see what happens" mode for the remainder of the season. Others will probably follow.

It really depends on how good MSU turns out to be. They are currently 4-4 just like us. If they lose to us, they will likely lose to Penn State and go 6-6 at best. I wouldn't call beating a 6-6 team any kind of "signature" win, but if it means the difference between the Insigh/Champs/Alamo Bowl and either the Pizza Bowl or no bowl, then it sure is meaningful.

Not so much a meaningful, or signature win so much as a necessary win. This season (some might even argue the program) is arguably at a watershed moment right now where we can either dust ourselves off and salvage what's left or plunge into oblivion, with a lot more questions than answers going into next season.

Only "signature" opportunity left? Iowa. Wins against USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, or Iowa next year would be considered "signature" wins, since I don't think Iowa is a realistic bet this year.

The beauty of college football is that every game is meaningful, even if you're 0-11. When your bowl life depends on it? Very meaningful.

I don't see the mythical 'signature' win coming this season, but I'll be fine with it happening in concert with Brewster's first signature season and solid bowl, whenever that may be.
For all the talk of the big win, I'd still rather go 7-5 and a bowl by beating the lesser teams than take down Wisconsin, Iowa and OSU and finish 5-7.

I think it would impact our year more if we lose than if we win.

Win: sweet, we might finish with a decent bowl game
Lose: fire brewster, holy crap, this sucks, etc etc

I think it would impact our year more if we lose than if we win.

Win: sweet, we might finish with a decent bowl game
Lose: fire brewster, holy crap, this sucks, etc etc

This guy gets it!

Of course it is meaningful. If the Gophers beat MSU and they don't fold against Illinois and SDSU, they will most likely go to the Alamo Bowl. That would be their best bowl game in 60+ years.

I guess I don't know if it is technically a "signature win", but what does that really mean? Signature wins are far less meaningful than putting together a string of very good seasons.

Of course it is meaningful. If the Gophers beat MSU and they don't fold against Illinois and SDSU, they will most likely go to the Alamo Bowl. That would be their best bowl game in 60+ years.

I guess I don't know if it is technically a "signature win", but what does that really mean? Signature wins are far less meaningful than putting together a string of very good seasons.

Signature wins are remembered though.......

Penn State 1999 will never be forgotten........

It would definitely be meaningful and would be a great springboard to what will hopefully be a strong ending to the season. However, IMO, a signature win is when you get something to put in your trophy case. Something like an Axe, Jug, Pig or bowl game trophy.

OK, so it seems as though everyone is in agreement that it wouldn't be a signature win. And that it would be meaningful. Would it classify as the "best" win of Brewster's tenure?

OK, so it seems as though everyone is in agreement that it wouldn't be a signature win. And that it would be meaningful. Would it classify as the "best" win of Brewster's tenure?

If MSU wins out.......

Illinois "was" Brewster's "Best Win" until the season ended........

Now it's...Northwestern?

Signature wins are remembered though.......

Penn State 1999 will never be forgotten........

We were at a different stage in our program at that point. We were coming off years of absolutely terribly football, and we finally won on the national stage. People will always point to the Penn St. game and I agree that it probably does bring a bunch of positive attention to the program, but people don't bring up with wins @ Ohio St. or @ Michigan nearly as much. I think it is because our program was already at a different place for those victories.

+1

I would add that MSU is a dangerous, athletic team that entered this season with legitimate Big Ten title aspirations. When you consider the quality of ball they've played the last month it would be an extremely impressive win.

+2

We were at a different stage in our program at that point. We were coming off years of absolutely terribly football, and we finally won on the national stage. People will always point to the Penn St. game and I agree that it probably does bring a bunch of positive attention to the program, but people don't bring up with wins @ Ohio St. or @ Michigan nearly as much. I think it is because our program was already at a different place for those victories.

Only people on this board...the Gopher fans I run into offline always mention Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Oregon, etc...I don't know what this board expects but it is what it is.......

It WILL be a very meaningful win. Considering how we have played the last two games, coming out and beating a good Michigan State team would show that those two games are not going to ruin our season. This is magnified even more considering the fact that we lost our star player. A win here could get us right back on track, and would be a big push towards a 7-5 or 8-4 (hopefully) finish. A 7-5 season would still net us a good bowl game.

Now a signature win would be against Iowa in the last game of the season. Whether or not Iowa is unbeaten going into that game, we could be 7-4 looking for an 8th win which would get us a pretty damn good bowl game. It is also a HUGE revenge game. After being embarrased last year 55 to 0, going into their stadium and beating a ranked Iowa team (looking for a big ten title) would be the ultimate FU.

1961 and 1962 Rose Bowls definitely better, 1999 and 2003 Sun Bowls comparable

Nice catch Ahli, I think I meant to say since the 60's and it all went to mush in my head. However, I always thought the Sun Bowl was considered a lower rated bowl than the Alamo.

Top Bottom