Would Richt get canned if the Dawgs don't make a bowl?

How recently have they said this? Things that were true 3 weeks ago when they thought they could be a medicore Florida team may not be true anymore. I think if they miss a bowl, they will at least be very open to the idea of paying him a portion of his buy-out and letting him walk away. I don't doubt that they may be willing to give him one more year, but if winning the SEC East is what is reqired to see 2012, it's probably in both sides best-interest to walk away now and avoid a messy firing. Richt 2010 is in almost the exact same spot as Tubby Smith 2007.

I have been told this as recently as the day of the Georgia - Florida game.

Not 'always' but for the 5 year window a recruit cares about. Would it have helped Nebraska if they'd named a coach in waiting for Tom Osborne? I doubt it. It would have been Frank Solich either way, don't you think? My point is that I think the benefit of making it 'official' for recruiting purposes is limited unless the coach is leaving at a definate point, and potentially sets up very bad situations like what FSU had to go through. It's not worth the risk.

While it was ugly for FSU to get Bowden out, I don't think there is any doubt that the program is better off for doing it. It is human nature to stick around too long, sometimes a deadline needs to be set.

If Mark Richt becomes available the only school on that list that might be a factor is Colorado. I expect that when JoPa retires, he'll name a successor from his current staff, likely Bradley. If Michigan opens up they will likely go for either a real hot young coach or someone with ties to Mich. It's already been reported that if Richt leaves Georgia will go after Smart from Alabama. At this point I think it's 50/50 that Richt gets canned even if he goes 6-6. The large buyout may cause some hesitation. I can see a voluntary release with a partial buyout, being negotiated, if the Gophers are interested.

Colorado can't pony up the dough. Their AD is on record saying the best they can do is 2 million per. If Richt can command more then he'll need something besides money to draw him to Colorado.

Doesn't it look like Georgia is Richt's last stop? Whether it is this year or 10 years from now? He is set financially and really wants to dedicate his life to religious endeavors and family. Dungy-like at this point.

Sure. But it's Penn State. You know you're going to be at a premier program either way. Same with Texas. You also know the successor will probably have ties to the current coach/system even if he's not on the current staff.

Penn State just like Florida State were programs built off of their legendary Head Coaches. Their history & glory is tied into their legend coaches. So how can someone assume they are an elite program, when they were only elite due to their All-Time great coach?

The same could be said for Alabama, it took them a few hires before they got Stallings. It took them nearly 2 decades before they got Saban. Its tough for anybody to follow in the footsteps of a legend. You need the right guy.

I fully expect Penn State to be mediocre/bad for awhile after JoePa retires. Penn State fans are worse than Michigan fans in terms of their expectations, and Paterno has been immune lately because they've accepted he will only go out on his terms. They tried to force him out not that long ago and it failed. When 7-5/8-4 is a "bad season" to fans, the pressure cooker heats up.

Feel sorry for Bradley/Golden or whoever else is going to be thrown into that job.

Doesn't it look like Georgia is Richt's last stop? Whether it is this year or 10 years from now? He is set financially and really wants to dedicate his life to religious endeavors and family. Dungy-like at this point.

He still has another 10 years at the very least left in him as long as he is in good health. Richt is too good of a coach to walk away now.

Dungy's way different from Richt. Dungy's done because he can't get his message across to this generation of players anymore. Pretty simple.

He still has another 10 years at the very least left in him as long as he is in good health. Richt is too good of a coach to walk away now.

Dungy's way different from Richt. Dungy's done because he can't get his message across to this generation of players anymore. Pretty simple.

Dungy is done because he lives with the guilt of being away from his family when his family needed him. It is very unfortunate but the way it is.

Penn State just like Florida State were programs built off of their legendary Head Coaches. Their history & glory is tied into their legend coaches. So how can someone assume they are an elite program, when they were only elite due to their All-Time great coach?

The same could be said for Alabama, it took them a few hires before they got Stallings. It took them nearly 2 decades before they got Saban. Its tough for anybody to follow in the footsteps of a legend. You need the right guy.

I fully expect Penn State to be mediocre/bad for awhile after JoePa retires. Penn State fans are worse than Michigan fans in terms of their expectations, and Paterno has been immune lately because they've accepted he will only go out on his terms. They tried to force him out not that long ago and it failed. When 7-5/8-4 is a "bad season" to fans, the pressure cooker heats up.

Feel sorry for Bradley/Golden or whoever else is going to be thrown into that job.

It's certainly true for FSU that they were built totally on what Bobby did. I suppose you can say the same for Penn State, but it's been a much longer period of time and they went into a lull and rebounded. FSU went into a lull and stayed stuck until this year. Also, PSU has huge advantages FSU doesn't. It's a large university with a large, loyal fan-base and is the dominant program in a very large state that is also a recruiting hotbed. FSU is the 2nd or 3rd best program in its own state, and has a much smaller fan-base. It is probably permenently stuck battling Miami for second fiddle in the state of Florida. Bottom-line I don't expect Penn State to drop off when Joe Pa retires. He may be the one that built them. But it's not soley on his back that they've stayed good all these years. That doesn't mean it will be easy to follow him, but it won't be that difficult either.

Where are the quotes or articles about Richt that actually indicate he's considered retiring to focus on this stuff? I don't doubt he's very religious, but it seems like people just take this, say it's Dungy-like and run with it. Or it's UGa fans just wanting a reason for the teams struggles. I've not seen anything that really supports the idea that he is itching to retire. Dungy made it very clear for at least a couple years what he intended to do. I don't see that here.

It's certainly true for FSU that they were built totally on what Bobby did. I suppose you can say the same for Penn State, but it's been a much longer period of time and they went into a lull and rebounded. FSU went into a lull and stayed stuck until this year. Also, PSU has huge advantages FSU doesn't. It's a large university with a large, loyal fan-base and is the dominant program in a very large state that is also a recruiting hotbed. FSU is the 2nd or 3rd best program in its own state, and has a much smaller fan-base. It is probably permenently stuck battling Miami for second fiddle in the state of Florida. Bottom-line I don't expect Penn State to drop off when Joe Pa retires. He may be the one that built them. But it's not soley on his back that they've stayed good all these years. That doesn't mean it will be easy to follow him, but it won't be that difficult either.

The big three in Florida will always be in flux, but I don't think anyone of them is stuck behind another.

The big three in Florida will always be in flux, but I don't think anyone of them is stuck behind another.

I think Florida has pretty well pulled ahead of the other two. It's the largest school of the 3. It has the most money, by far. It has the biggest stadium and fan-base. It has the most success recently. While that last one can fluctuate, those first 3 things are permanent advantages. As long as Urban Myer doesn't retire anytime soon and/or they botch his replacement, I don't see it changing. They're ahead now and they have the resources to stay ahead. In the 90's they were all in a neck-in-neck race for most of the decade. But UF was playing catch-up then. Now that they're ahead it's hard to see the other two coming back. The ACC is certainly easier then the SEC. That's about all they have going for them.

I think Florida has pretty well pulled ahead of the other two. It's the largest school of the 3. It has the most money, by far. It has the biggest stadium and fan-base. It has the most success recently. While that last one can fluctuate, those first 3 things are permanent advantages. As long as Urban Myer doesn't retire anytime soon and/or they botch his replacement, I don't see it changing. They're ahead now and they have the resources to stay ahead. In the 90's they were all in a neck-in-neck race for most of the decade. But UF was playing catch-up then. Now that they're ahead it's hard to see the other two coming back. The ACC is certainly easier then the SEC. That's about all they have going for them.

For the Florida schools the only thing that matters is who is the 'hot' coach at the time. Miami is up and down. Florida is hot with Meyer right now. What Bowden did for the better part of 15 years in terms of end of year ranking will never be match again. Each school is only a player away. Not to sound homerish but what really killed FSU and caused their slide down at the early part of the 2000's was QB play and that was directly affected by Joe Mauer's decision to play baseball and also committing to FSU. Urban Meyer is a good coach everywhere he goes, but did he make Tim Tebow, did TT make UM, or were they a perfect fit for each other?

For the Florida schools the only thing that matters is who is the 'hot' coach at the time. Miami is up and down. Florida is hot with Meyer right now. What Bowden did for the better part of 15 years in terms of end of year ranking will never be match again. Each school is only a player away. Not to sound homerish but what really killed FSU and caused their slide down at the early part of the 2000's was QB play and that was directly affected by Joe Mauer's decision to play baseball and also committing to FSU. Urban Meyer is a good coach everywhere he goes, but did he make Tim Tebow, did TT make UM, or were they a perfect fit for each other?

Mauer not going to FSU should have not have surprised them. Besides, the great programs never have only one QB in the wings. Mauer is a drop in the bucket of what caused FSU's issues.

TT and UM were perfect for each other. But Chris Leak worked out pretty well too, and I think Cam Newton would be doing pretty well at UF too if he had his head on straight. As it is, John Brantley (see, not all chips on Cam) is causing them to have a bit of a transition bubble due to a different style, but it will be fine.

Georgia grad here. Richt won't be fired this year. Some fans are upset, but these are the fans that expect 11-1 every year.

Richt's seat is slightly warm because of some off-the-field incidents involving his players. If the arrests continue, and they having a losing record next season, then he may be pushed out.

But no chance it happens this year. None.

Do they even have a new AD yet after the last one had to resign? At the moment, I would think Richt looks like a pretty solid part of the school compared to his prior boss.

What makes you think Joe Mauer was a lock to be a stud QB?
Florida State won the ACC twice in the time period Mauer would have been at FSU....it is hard to say without Mauer ever playing a down of college football that he could top that.

Baseball is Mauer's sport, and I don't think you could even call him a clutch baseball player, let alone a lock to have been a great QB with a knack for winning games (which they did anyways). From 2001-2005 Florida State won 3 ACC titles and never won fewer than 8 games.

Chris Rix was ACC freshman of the year in 2001. He was 25-11 as a starter. They won 3 ACC titles during his time there. It was frustrating by the 1990s FSU standard, but it isn't even a lock that Mauer gets on the field in front of Rix.

Top Bottom