Would Minnesota accept an NIT bid?

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Frankly, they have work to do to be considered for the NIT, but let's say they finish at .500 or one game above. Hypothetically, that would get them a spot in the NIT. Would the team even accept? I'd figure Oturu would opt not to play. I wouldn't be all that excited to watch, but it might be okay to watch the Freshman get a chance to play in the Postseason....

Yes. However, if the intention of Coyle is to fire Pitino, then I would do it right after the BTT and let an assistant coach the team in the NIT. I want to know the direction of the program two Sundays from now. If it is Pitino fine, if not let's get on with finding the next guy.

Would be great chance to play our freshman. Were not at the level of were too good to accept an NIT bid.

Yes. However, if the intention of Coyle is to fire Pitino, then I would do it right after the BTT and let an assistant coach the team in the NIT. I want to know the direction of the program two Sundays from now. If it is Pitino fine, if not let's get on with finding the next guy.

This is why I posted this. Assuming if they fire Pitino at that timeframe. Would the team just pack it in for next year...I would also be enthused to watch the Freshman play as some have also pointed out. It would be great experience for them to learn.

This is why I posted this. Assuming if they fire Pitino at that timeframe. Would the team just pack it in for next year...I would also be enthused to watch the Freshman play as some have also pointed out. It would be great experience for them to learn.

I believe teams have gone to the NIT without their former head coaches before. Certainly this practice is common in football where head coaches accept offers from another school, leave, and assistants take over those duties for the bowl game. About 6 or 7 years ago, Illinois and UCLA met in a bowl game and both had fired their head coaches after the regular season. One publication touted the bowl game as "a matchup between the mediocre and uncoached."

The gophers are in position for an NIT bid. You no longer have to be above .500 to qualify so if they beat Nebraska I'd think they get a bid. Agree that you let Pitino go after the BTT. This is coming up quick, tournament already next weekend.

Agreed. What Nebraska did to Tim Miles last year was not cool. "Go coach the NIT, we'll be in Lincoln interviewing your replacement."

If we're .500 or above accept a bid. If we're below, turn it down.

Why does this get asked all the time? Of course we would.

Because there are some people who still believe that going to the NIT isn't manly enough and express that opinion frequently enough to give the impression that accepting a bid isn't a no brainer.

The gophers are in position for an NIT bid. You no longer have to be above .500 to qualify so if they beat Nebraska I'd think they get a bid. Agree that you let Pitino go after the BTT. This is coming up quick, tournament already next weekend.

I have never seen a team make the NIT with a sub-.500 record and I have seen only a couple make it with a .500 record. If we finished the season 15-15 and went 2-1 in the Big Ten tournament I guess there is a reasonable chance. A not-so-great Iowa team made it with a 17-16 record in 2012.

Minnesota is the best program in the NIT over the past 27 years. 3* titles and and a title game loss.

Of course the Gophers are going, and of course they would be invited.

I have never seen a team make the NIT with a sub-.500 record and I have seen only a couple make it with a .500 record. If we finished the season 15-15 and went 2-1 in the Big Ten tournament I guess there is a reasonable chance. A not-so-great Iowa team made it with a 17-16 record in 2012.
I'm fine with sittin it out this year ha

And, they're now 13-16. They'd need to beat NEB (which should happen) and at least win 2 in the BTT. Probably 3 because we'll open with NW. This team is defeated. I am now on board with sitting it out. Canning Pitino and starting over.

And, they're now 13-16. They'd need to beat NEB (which should happen) and at least win 2 in the BTT. Probably 3 because we'll open with NW. This team is defeated. I am now on board with sitting it out. Canning Pitino and starting over.
We'd need to win 4 to end up .500. I don't see that happening. If we are below .500 they should not invite us and if they do, we should decline.

Because there are some people who still believe that going to the NIT isn't manly enough and express that opinion frequently enough to give the impression that accepting a bid isn't a no brainer.
I have no issue with going to the NIT. But if you are a Power 6 team and not above .500 you should not play in the post-season. Period. It's more pathetic than going to a Bowl Game at 5-7.

There's no reason to not accept the NIT bid. They would win the whole damn thing, easy.

I have no issue with going to the NIT. But if you are a Power 6 team and not above .500 you should not play in the post-season. Period. It's more pathetic than going to a Bowl Game at 5-7.

I agree with that but I don't believe they would be offered an NIT slot if they don't finish at least .500 and likely not if they don't finish above .500. So, unless they beat Nebraska and go 3-1 in the Big Ten tournament the question of whether they would accept an NIT bid probably is a moot one.

There's no reason to not accept the NIT bid. They would win the whole damn thing, easy.

I don't agree with that. I think they'd be lucky to win 2 games in that tournament. We played 4 possible NIT teams (Clemson, OK, OK St., and Utah) in nonconference and another team that likely isn't (DePaul) and we went 2-3 in those games.

Top Bottom