Would a win at USC be more damaging to the Gophers than beneficial?

This is the type of thread that only seems to show up on a Gopher board. WTF are you thinking?

So true. Kind of like when I was ripping Iowa and McDonald for wanting to go there and numerous posters came out in defense of Iowa and the logic I was using against them. Gopher fans are seriously a different breed, no doubt about it, definitely not like the wisc and Iowa fan bases.

So true. Kind of like when I was ripping Iowa and McDonald for wanting to go there and numerous posters came out in defense of Iowa and the logic I was using against them. Gopher fans are seriously a different breed, no doubt about it, definitely not like the wisc and Iowa fan bases.

So you're saying you want us to be more like Wisc and Iowa fans? ;)

I appreciate your concerns....but that's a chance I'm willing to take!

nm

Obviously beating USC would be beneficial to the program, but the real question is what win would be the MOST beneficial for the gophers:

@ USC - perennial power, Kill's first game, etc.
@ MICH - 1st B1G game, for the Jug, against another new coach
NEB - newcomer to the B1G, sexy pick to win the Legends division, first home B1G game for Kill
IOWA - two years in a row, (arguably) biggest rival
WISC - No need to elaborate on why this would be big

I would say of all those games beating WISC would be the "biggest" win, but it would be close. Securing the Jug on the road or beating IA two years in a row (especially when you factor in that they're both in our division) would also go a long way. Honestly, I'd take any of them this year

Obviously beating USC would be beneficial to the program, but the real question is what win would be the MOST beneficial for the gophers:

NEB - newcomer to the B1G, sexy pick to win the Legends division, first home B1G game for Kill

I would say of all those games beating WISC would be the "biggest" win, but it would be close. Securing the Jug on the road or beating IA two years in a row (especially when you factor in that they're both in our division) would also go a long way. Honestly, I'd take any of them this year

This is probably a better question than the one I asked and kind of the thought process that lead me to this thread.

Regardless, winning is always preferred… unless you are in an argument with your wife. Then you know there is always something more substantial to lose, even though you think you might have won.

I always want our Gophers to win!

If they do win, it probably would be evaluated after the regular season. If USC tanks the season it won't be seen as all that significant but if USC goes with 1 or 2 losses it would obviously look like a huge win. That being said I can't see it hurting the Gophers initially but the NMSU game afterwards will be the telling factor of where they are if they happen to beat USC.

How has this dumb@$$ thread gotten to 2 pages?

At the risk of extending it to 3-pages, spot on. In fairness to fuzz, it looks like he's a puck head so none of us should be surprised ;-) Seriously, I think fuzz regrets it so let's cut him some slack and move on.

do you think kill would like to walk into a recruits home next year and talk about beating USC?

i mean seriously.

We would be all over ESPN.....we'd have momentum

it may or may not last the rest of the year.....but geezez

I think that NEB would be huge - first B10 home game and a definite helmet school. That would REALLY get people pumped up. I would MOST WANT to beat the Badgers, like any year, but I think Nebraska would be the most beneficial

1) Wisconsin, because they have a very real chance at taking one of the last steps to national prominence (consecutive years BCS squad, serious national title contender) and that would be horrible to see, and for our program

2) Asking if success would be counterproductive isn't completely absurd. Beating USC would obviously be awesome, and I hope it happens, but there are potential results of success that would hurt the program.
For example, Kill seems like an ambitious guy. It's part of why he's been successful. But if he has a ton of success early (like, beyond what anyone in their right mind would predict...Rose Bowl this year, etc) better offers will pour in. He would probably get an offer from OSU, and rightfully accept that offer. Whereas if if takes a few years, maybe something consistent can be built, something self sustaining.

This isn't really the argument that the OP is making, but I think it's legitimate to wonder what damage can happen from too much success to early in a process.

sort of like paying taxes

You may beeyotch about paying capital gains when you've sold a stock for a profit, but it's a good problem to have cuz you're making money. STFU and enjoy it. Same thing here. Yeah, maybe future opponents won't take us for granted, and a W against USC could raise expectations unreasonably. But should the Gophers pull off an upset, I'm gonna sit back in the coliseum (I'll be there), savor the moment, and then take a picture of the scoreboard for posterity. Just like I did at the end of the Sun Bowl game when we pulled one out of our 3rd point of contact vs. Oregon.

Top Bottom