Would (7-1) Gophers vs. (7-1) Iowee get Gameday?

They'll probably be in Grand Forks again that weekend.

Here are other what I would consider marquee matchups that day:

- Auburn at Georgia
- Mississippi St at Alabama
- Washington at Arizona (Maybe. Bit of a stretch, but if the Wildcats are still undefeated and UDub is doing well ...)

Thanks for putting this together Gopher07. I was wondering what the other big matchups were that week but was too lazy to look it up myself. Looking at the list there really is a good chance we would be picked in that scenario. Hopefully Mississippi State or Alabama drop a couple games between now and then, so we can hear the talking heads say how they've been high on the Gophers this whole time.

Northwestern is no push over it will be a test.

but if we are both 7-1 then i think we will get some consideration with Floyd up for grabs the Bank will be rocking

If we are both 7-1 and NE has a second loss...this game could become real important.

Unless we become a proven winner and consistent top 10 team, GD will never come to Minneapolis. Wish it were different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless we become a proven winner and consistent top 10 team, GD will never come to Minneapolis. Wish it were different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say I agree with you here. In the past 7.5 years, they've gone to:

Washington (#16, vs #2 Oregon)
Northwestern (x2) (#16, vs #4 Ohio State, and unranked, vs Illinois)
Houston (#11, vs SMU)
Utah (#6, vs #4 TCU)
Ole Miss (#11, vs #3 Alabama)
Arizona (unranked, vs #11 Oregon)
BYU (#16, vs #10 TCU)
Boston College (unranked, vs Florida State)
Texas Tech (#6, vs #1 Texas)
Vanderbilt (#19, vs #13 Auburn)
Kentucky (#8, vs #14 Florida)

While most of those games involve a pretty highly-ranked home team, none of them were hosted by programs that are anywhere close to consistent top-10 teams. They almost always go to a location if the matchup is nationally relevant and the best option that week (a few key exceptions, like the Wrigley game or BC's game with Herzlich announcing he was cancer free).

Baylor @ OK looks like the obvious choice to me.

So NDSU was an obvious choice? Is it always just a matter of choosing the premier matchup?
(I don't know the answers to these questions)

So NDSU was an obvious choice? Is it always just a matter of choosing the premier matchup?

The closer you get to the end of the season it is.

But if TCU beats Baylor they may run away with the conference.

Forgive me for jumping ahead and rehashing this, but thinking about this, our best (and really, only) chance for Gameday to come in 2014 is the Ohio State game.

If Minnesota is 8-1, Ohio State is 7-2 or better, both teams would surely be ranked. Likely in the 13-18 range for the Gophers (if Ohio State is 8-1, they would be top 10). This is, of course, the biggest hurdle to getting Gameday in Minneapolis.

The week before is a huge B1G matchup (OSU at MSU) which could preclude them from choosing the conference again, but Baylor at Oklahoma and the SEC West matchups that week have huge appeal as well. If for some reason they don't choose OSU-MSU that week, they likely will not have visited a B1G game all year.

The biggest thing in our favor is the schedule around the country on 11/15. Here are other what I would consider marquee matchups that day:

- Auburn at Georgia
- Mississippi St at Alabama
- Washington at Arizona (Maybe. Bit of a stretch, but if the Wildcats are still undefeated and UDub is doing well ...)

And that's really it. So, set our sights on beating Northwestern this week, but as we creep closer to 11/15, if things are falling into place, we might actually have a real shot to get our name off this infamous list (Power 5 schools that have not hosted College Gameday):

Louisville
Wake Forest
Virginia
Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers
Minnesota
Illinois
Baylor
Kansas
Iowa State
Cal
Washington State
Edit: forgot Syracuse

I was actually thinking about this tonight, if both teams avoid a loss before then.

-Both of us would be all alone at the top of our divisions.
-Both would be coming off huge wins...us over Iowa and OSU over MSU.
-It is the third annual Epilepsy Awareness Game. Would be cool to see that get national attention.

I was actually thinking about this tonight, if both teams avoid a loss before then.

-Both of us would be all alone at the top of our divisions.
-Both would be coming off huge wins...us over Iowa and OSU over MSU.
-It is the third annual Epilepsy Awareness Game. Would be cool to see that get national attention.

Cool angle with it being the Epilepsy Awareness Game, I did not know that. And assuming we both avoid a loss over the next four weeks I think it would be a Top-10 team (Ohio State) vs. a Top-20 team. They can only go to the SEC so many times, right??

Cool angle with it being the Epilepsy Awareness Game, I did not know that. And assuming we both avoid a loss over the next four weeks I think it would be a Top-10 team (Ohio State) vs. a Top-20 team. They can only go to the SEC so many times, right??

With the coin ESPN is forking over to the SEC, they'll be there as much as they feel like.

Yeah, that's it. Mississippi State got knocked off it this week. I'm surprised Baylor is on there TBH.

You shouldn't be. Their pregame atmosphere has been historically dismal, just like their team's performance in the years between Teaff and Briles. Of course, the team's recent success coupled with the new Toilet Bowl on the Brazos has surely made improvements over what it was like at Floyd Casey in the middle of the ghetto. However, their atmosphere isn't half as good of that at Minnesota (and their stadium looks like a poor man's Xerox of TCF).

The only good of having Gameday at Gaylord would be to see the Bears get knocked off their high horse in front of a national audience by Stoops & Co. However, ESPN wants ratings, and Baylor holds the record for the lowest ratings of a game on a broadcast network EVER (and they did so this year).

That's just it. The game matters, but so does the gameday atmosphere and the setting/story they can spin. NDSU, like it or not, is a neat story and they have a good gameday atmosphere. We have a thread complaining about our crowd and a thread worrying if we could one day get gameday. This is not a chicken and egg question-good gameday atmosphere goes a long long way in becoming a desirable destination for a show whose signature backdrop is the gameday setting.

Maybe they like the pig story and epilepsy awareness deal, or maybe down the road they like OSU gophs, but the way to make this easier for them is to make it easier for them. Consistently vibrant and fun gameday atmosphere around the stadium and a team worth talking about. Team doing its part, diehard fans doing ours, still need bandwagon once per year types to make Saturday an event down there. If the team well in big games for a year or two it will come, until then wishing for gameday is just a spin on a roulette wheel.

I would love OSU vs Minnesota 8-1 vs 8-1 to get GameDay - not happening.....Ole Miss at Alabama that week. Iowa vs Minnesota also has Ohio State playing Michigan State in Primetime where the big boys will be calling the game.....would be fun -- but not happening....plus even if Ole Miss trips up or Alabama trips up, probably not doing Ohio State back to back either.

I would love OSU vs Minnesota 8-1 vs 8-1 to get GameDay - not happening.....Ole Miss at Alabama that week. Iowa vs Minnesota also has Ohio State playing Michigan State in Primetime where the big boys will be calling the game.....would be fun -- but not happening....plus even if Ole Miss trips up or Alabama trips up, probably not doing Ohio State back to back either.

*Mississippi State. I agree that's the biggest hurdle in terms of national appeal - but if they don't go to OSU-MSU the week before, they will not have gone to a B1G game this year to that point.

As far as the week before is concerned, I could easily see them forgoing OSU-MSU for Baylor-Oklahoma. Bears should almost certainly be undefeated by then (play WVU and Kansas between now and then), Oklahoma should have just one loss (have to play K-State ... not easy, but Oklahoma is really good).

Of course this is all highly speculative, we have to get to 8-1 first ... but we shall see.

If the Gophers and Iowa are 7-1 going into the November 8 match-up, it is a bummer that it falls on Minnesota's deer hunting opener.... many regular fans traditionally spending that weekend up north in the "woods"....

If the Gophers and Iowa are 7-1 going into the November 8 match-up, it is a bummer that it falls on Minnesota's deer hunting opener.... many of traditionally spending that weekend up north in the "woods"....

It won't matter. That game will be packed regardless of whatever new animals can be shot at that weekend.

It won't matter. That game will be packed regardless of whatever new animals can be shot at that weekend.

True.... hate to miss that one though... I will be sure that my tickets do not fall into the hands of visiting fans!

Yeah.....if OSU-MSU doesn't have gameday.......there would be a good chance that we have it. Of course......this all pivots on whether we win our next few games.

Yeah.....if OSU-MSU doesn't have gameday.......there would be a good chance that we have it. Of course......this all pivots on whether we win our next few games.

And if Iowa can beat Maryland @ College Park. Not exactly a given.

Top Bottom