Worst sound in the world?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Lights off, lying in bed, and the distinctive whine of a mosquito circling your ear, ready to feast.

Other entries will be entertained, but I can’t imagine being convinced otherwise. And the sound’s universal-from Minnesota to Bangladesh to China to Peru, and several places in between, I’ve experienced. Utopia must be a place where mosquitoes don’t exist.

Baby on a plane. I'm sorry, so insensitive, I know, but damn....

Baby in a restaurant is a nearby second.

back in the day, I would have said a vinyl album with a scratch in it. nothing worse than listening to a song you really like and hearing that "skip/scratch" sound in the middle of the track.

currently - well, the copier in my office beeps to alert people of a printing error. one of our sales people has a setting wrong in their computer, so every time they try to print something, the printer beeps - and it's about 10 feet away from my desk, so I listen to that freakin' beeping noise all day. and yet, they claim they can't change the setting on their computer that causes the problem. arrgh.

Sirens at two a.m.

Fireworks at two a.m.

The sounds of many rats scurrying across your floor while attempting to sleep. That was my first night assisting with an NGO in a Santo Domingo Barrio about 25 years ago. Got moved to another house the next day.

That tops mosquito in the ear for me.

Golf cart going in reverse. Multiple carts makes it exponentially terrible.

Talking in a movie theater would be close second, that problem has seemed to work itself out for some reason lately.

We all should bring some vuvuzelas with us next time we play in Madison. (And maybe some earplugs).

whispering children
Man...you guys really dislike kids. Whispering children is the worst sound in the world?? Like worse than someone else chewing food or nails on a chalkboard? I realize children should be neither seen nor heard but jeez...

Man...you guys really dislike kids. Whispering children is the worst sound in the world?? Like worse than someone else chewing food or nails on a chalkboard? I realize children should be neither seen nor heard but jeez...
Amazing how quickly my perspective changed once we had kids-but there’s a big difference between a wailing infant on a plane vs. let me check that again, children whispering. Can’t even fathom how that’s an annoying sound, on the rare occasion my boys do whisper, I find it endearing and relieving to the next usual din.

I was kidding. Those other guys though...

The sounds of many rats scurrying across your floor while attempting to sleep. That was my first night assisting with an NGO in a Santo Domingo Barrio about 25 years ago. Got moved to another house the next day.

That tops mosquito in the ear for me.
If I had that experience, it might vault to the top of the list-many years ago, while vacationing in SE Asia, we were looking at various places to stay, as one does, and came upon a resort with idyllic sea-side views and we just about pounced until reading the reviews that pointed out the thatch roof huts had rats scurrying across them in the night. Very glad I read the reviews closely.

Ok, does the vuvuzela video display freeze show the girl from Uruguay for anyone else? She has her lips completely around it instead of buzzing into it like a trumpet like everyone else. Either she's doing it wrong or precisely right.
You're welcome, guys.

1595448663187.png

Wait! The tent zipper going up or down when I am sleeping in the tent.

Fire alarm/smoke detector at 3:00 AM, even if it's just the low battery warning.

Top Bottom