Worst Offense in Gopher History

I don't know how anyone could honestly have this opinion. If Weber doesn't throw the ball three feet behind Stoudamire, that is a TD (instead of an INT), if Weber doesn't skip a pass to a wide open receiver in the endzone, that is a TD.

I am not proclaiming Fisch to be the next Bill Walsh, but you certainly can't blame him for Weber's inability to read a defense and throw the ball accurately (with any sort of consistancy). It is safe to say Weber is an OK MAC QB, he is a sub-par Big 10 QB.

Could his throwing accurately have anything to do with them switching his motion, something he was never fully on board with?

The D that let a backup QB from Ill beat us? The D

Horrible defense? The defense wasn't horrible, it's the best defense we've had in years. If Mason's teams had had a defense this good, we would have won a lot more games.

The same D that could get three and outs against SDSU?

that let Wisconsin run the same play over again and again to beat us?

The D that could not stop Iowa State when all they were trying was kill the clock?

The D that played the same 15 yards off the ball passive defense everyone complained about for years under the past regime?

The same D that didn't get any better after one more year of experience with Simoni Lawrence, two vet corners, and about a ten deep defensive line returning..

SDSU had 229 total yards, 4 turnovers, no td's, and went 3-16 on 3rd downs
Wisky was able to run the ball on us, however if eskeridge and weber dont fumble that game was won!

The D that could not stop Iowa State when all they were trying was kill the clock?
only giving up 14 points and being in pretty horrible field position all game would leave me to believe they played pretty decent.

The D that played the same 15 yards off the ball passive defense everyone complained about for years under the past regime?
i watched nearly all the bowl games and noticed nearly every school does that. one thing i really like compared to mason is the way brew's linebackers play. its nice to see those guys capable of running down rb's and wr's. i remember on 06 thinking how the hell these guys could be in the big ten when they were so slow! we have better team speed and i cant wait to watch the young guys next year. we will be fast!

The same D that didn't get any better after one more year of experience with Simoni Lawrence, two vet corners, and about a ten deep defensive line returning..
losing brock really hurt our secondary but i would say they were better-maybe not as many turnovers compared to 08but we had an opportunity to win nearly every game this year if our offense does their job! special teams i thought were pretty solid-kickoff returns led to very solid starting position all year long. punt and kick coverage was pretty good, i dont even recall a return for td-i know there are plenty of brew haters who will remind me now that i stated i dont recall. the only thing that seemed to move backwards was weber-oline was better as the season progressed, rb's looked better, wr's looked fast but always a crap shoot if they will catch the ball-especially mcknight-i can still see those 2 td's vs illinois he dropped, gross!

2008 (79th toughest schedule)
Scoring defense 61st
Total defense 80th
Rush defense 68th
Pass defense 93rd

2009 (34th toughest schedule)
Scoring defense 51st (+10)
Total defense 63rd (+17)
Rush defense 69th (-1)
Pass defense 56th (+37)

What's your point? I never said this defense was great. But it is at least a defense, and the best we've had in ages. If we had an offense, this defense would look even better. The horrible defenses of the Mason years would have looked far, far worse if they had the current offense.

Top Bottom