Worst name change for a bowl?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
The Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix is now the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Gophers were mentioned by one outfit as a possibility vs. Texas Tech. Phoenix, of course, is a great place to visit in late December.

Perhaps these names aren't the greatest. Just be thankful that a team can play in one of these bowls and enjoy everything at their expense.

Why not the fiesta bowl brought to you by Guaranteed rate?

There's a Jimmy Kimmel bowl. I wish I was making that up.

I just want to bring back the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl. Still my favorite bowl name ever.

A few other bowl game name tidbits:

The Citrus Bowl was originally the Tangerine Bowl

the Outback bowl was originally the Hall of Fame Bowl

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl started as the Copper Bowl before it was the Insight Bowl

the Humanitarian Bowl became the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

one bowl went from the Alabama Bowl to the GoDaddy.Com Bowl to the Dollar General bowl and is now the Lending Tree Bowl.

The Quick Lane Bowl replaced the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl

and two more just for fun-

there actually was a Raisin Bowl played in Fresno in the mid-40's, and
yes, The Salad Bowl in Phoenix from '47 to '51.

I miss the days when most bowls were named for some kind of commodity

I did like the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl while it lasted. Now, that bowl is sponsored by a roofing company and named the RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl.

The Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix is now the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Gophers were mentioned by one outfit as a possibility vs. Texas Tech. Phoenix, of course, is a great place to visit in late December.

I have also seen the Gophers against West Virginia, who is not yet bowl eligible, predicted in that bowl. Texas Tech is bowl eligible now.

The possibilities for bowls are endless.
The Coast to Coast AM Conspiracy Bowl

The BuzzFeed Disney Princess Quiz Bowl

The Apple iBowl

I would love to see the Kohler Toilet Bowl or the American Standard Toilet Bowl.
There was the:

Culligan Holiday Bowl (1998-2001) in San Diego​

Oops, it's the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl now. Tangerine Bowl is a loss - sounded very Florida.

Top Bottom