Worst loss in PJs tenure?

Never thought Minnesota would lose to Bowling Green.
No one did. That's why the mood is so glum here and why everyone is looking for something positive to hang hopes on.

Purdue becomes a big game when it should have been a tuneup for games against better opponents.

If Minnesota has real senior leadership, it needs to be shown this week. Lose at Purdue and the season quickly becomes a shitshow.

No one did. That's why the mood is so glum here and why everyone is looking for something positive to hang hopes on.

Purdue becomes a big game when it should have been a tuneup for games against better opponents.

If Minnesota has real senior leadership, it needs to be shown this week. Lose at Purdue and the season quickly becomes a shitshow.
Boomtime, thank you for your reply, this is my first year to be associated with Gopher football, so I'm not familiar with past game history and their opponents. Hopefully they can beat Purdue and get back on a winning track.

All of my good vibes from Colorado evaporated after Saturday. That's all I am sure of.

All of my good vibes from Colorado evaporated after Saturday. That's all I am sure of.
I'm in the group that overestimated how good Colorado is. Hopefully it is a trend, because the defense has played pretty well the last two weeks.

But PJ is at a crossroads, because the HC always has the power to overrule the Coordinators. The end result of the offensive struggles still falls at the feet of the HC.

First non-conference loss under Fleck and the way it happened, absolutely the worst loss. It's year 5 of the program. Beating Purdue will make the loss look worse, but I'll take it.

First non-conference loss under Fleck and the way it happened, absolutely the worst loss. It's year 5 of the program. Beating Purdue will make the loss look worse, but I'll take it.
I think it's year 4, if we use PJ's metric that there was a year Zero.

As was well said by another poster: they played on offense as if they expected, somehow, that the win would fall out of the sky, eventually. That it was bound to happen, by sheer differential in status of the two teams. Zero urgency. Zero thought that they were losing the game.

If the offense gameplan was always intended to be neutered, so as to not "show anything" in non-conf, well that somewhat makes sense with what we saw out there.

But at some point, don't you have to chuck that and, you know, actually go for the win??

Perhaps that was the plan for the last two drives, and unfortunately Morgan made two bad choices and perhaps was trying to do too much. Yes, he got sacked as he threw the first one. But if you see that coming, maybe you just take the sack instead of chuck it up.
That's the part that floored me. They got the ball at 6 minutes left, having struggled mightily to move the ball the entire game. And they nonchalantly stood there with the play clock running, looking over to the sideline, more time running off. It's almost like the thought process was "We'll just eat all this clock, drive down and score and walk out of here with a win."

That's the part that floored me. They got the ball at 6 minutes left, having struggled mightily to move the ball the entire game. And they nonchalantly stood there with the play clock running, looking over to the sideline, more time running off. It's almost like the thought process was "We'll just eat all this clock, drive down and score and walk out of here with a win."
The looking over to the sideline crap has got to stop....All they do is run when they audible anyway and it panics Morgan with the play clock....When Simon takes over I hope that is addressed.

The looking over to the sideline crap has got to stop....All they do is run when they audible anyway and it panics Morgan with the play clock....When Simon takes over I hope that is addressed.
The check with me offense has been around for some time and is fairly widespread in college football. The whole point of the offense is to line up quickly and have an opportunity to adjust once you've seen how the defense is lined up. If they audible to a run all the time (which is not true anyway) all it means is that the number of defenders in the box is amenable to calling a run play.

The check with me offense has been around for some time and is fairly widespread in college football. The whole point of the offense is to line up quickly and have an opportunity to adjust once you've seen how the defense is lined up. If they audible to a run all the time (which is not true anyway) all it means is that the number of defenders in the box is amenable to calling a run play.
It rarely changes what the defense is going to do....Miami and BG came in with game plan to send blitzers on first down because they knew we were going to run and then again on 3rd down because they knew we were going to pass.....Looking over to the sideline and then still running a RUTM into a blitzing LB is stupid and they did it plenty last Saturday....Morgan already looks uncomfortable running this offense and making him hurry to snap the ball before the play clock expires does not help.

Yep. It's a high school gimmick that makes us look dumb.

There's just no sense of urgency and this coaching staff is making the same mistakes game after game.

Coyle has a big investment in Fleck and his staff. Now in the 5th year and the results, over all, have been very average.

And then you've got them! The defense.

Because it's against the rules for the defense to show one thing, and then switch out of it at the last second.

So it's the perfect system, no defense can beat it, since once you line up in one formation, the rules dictate you're locked into that decision for the play.

It rarely changes what the defense is going to do....Miami and BG came in with game plan to send blitzers on first down because they knew we were going to run and then again on 3rd down because they knew we were going to pass.....Looking over to the sideline and then still running a RUTM into a blitzing LB is stupid and they did it plenty last Saturday....Morgan already looks uncomfortable running this offense and making him hurry to snap the ball before the play clock expires does not help.
Exactly.

Miami/BG coaches: "OK guys, line up like a regular base defense cover 2, then wait for the snap, then what you do is send a crap ton of guys at them, even two guys in a gap!"

Minn coaches: "OK sweet, they're lined up in a regular base defense, those idiots! We'll ride over them like grass! Send the horse .... full attack!! ........ WTF!!! THEY'RE RUN BLITZING NOOOO SHIIIIIIT!"

Top Bottom