Worst loss in PJs tenure?

Meh. Definitely the loss to the worst team

I consider getting blown out @ Nebraska and @ Maryland worse

Yes it is because of the way they lost with a veteran OLine and QB. Unless we come out of this more focused and win 5 or 6 games the rest of the way a loss like this sets us back with recruits and fans.

Yes it is because of the way they lost with a veteran OLine and QB. Unless we come out of this more focused and win 5 or 6 games the rest of the way a loss like this sets us back with recruits and fans.
No question with fans. For recruits it depends on the recruit

I'll tell you what, next week's game might be the most important to win of his career here.

Lose to Purdue, and the wheels could easily come off.

They should be laser focused after the heat they will take from this state all week.

Considering the opponent, yes. Since this team is inconsistent I honestly have no idea what happens against Purdue or the rest of the schedule. If we start lining up "L"s, we'll be seeing some changes. In other news, I was looking forward to watching preseason Wild, but I guess they decided no network for airing that. Nice.

Coach's post-game comments on the radio today sounded similar to the loss to Illinois 55-31 in 2018.

Funny that the next opponent then and now is Purdue.

I think the smell of change is in the air. We'll see...

The two shutout losses to end 2017 were pretty bad, but as others have said it's hard to argue given the opponent today.

Don't know the line that day but it was clear Coach Brew was in his own vat of very hot chili...

Told Mrs. Billd that he was on "triple, double-secret probation" after that loss to the Coyotes.

The Old Ones with money do not consider Dakota Schools to be much more than HS programs...that was a bad loss.

EDIT: Recognize this was before PJ and even Kill...but it's games like these that get the pot stirring...not in a positive way for the current HC...

Do I believe PJ is in any trouble with the AD? No. But trouble has to start somewhere...

Last edited:

Yes. For years, the Gophers were a really young team. Now we have experienced players, and this still happens. Really frustrating to see.

This is the worst loss under Fleck, bar none. It's the worst loss for the Gophers since the South Dakota debacle under Tim Brewster.

The crazy part is that it came exactly a week after arguably the most complete victory against a good team that the Gophers have had since he's been here.

I have no idea where it goes next week. But I do know there's some very bad tape out there on the Gophers and this could easily plummet quickly if major adjustments aren't made.

Right up there with worse loses ever by Gophers. 31 points favorites and losing and basically being totally outplayed in all facets is beyond embarrassing

Tim Brewster likely agrees.
Sadly, Brewster never had the resources and support that has been given to PJ. Also, he was a 1st time head coach. Not to say that Brewster got an unfair hand dealt to him, just that comparing anything Brewster to PJ in year 5 is a sad, sad sign.

Coach's post-game comments on the radio today sounded similar to the loss to Illinois 55-31 in 2018.

Funny that the next opponent then and now is Purdue.

I think the smell of change is in the air. We'll see...
Robb Smith was fired on a Sunday night…

I doubt Sanford will be fired before next week, but I do think that would be addition by subtraction.

There are some ridiculous stats about this game that absolutely make it the worst loss of PJ's tenure. First time Bowling Green has won back to back games since 2018, first win Bowling Green has had against a B1G opponent since 2015, largest FBS upset since 2019, etc. Really bad all around. Type of game that will probably end with someone getting fired this week. PJ will have to respond after looking at the tape from this game.

Not to mention breaking the Gophers 21-game non-conference streak.

That 22 is certainly elusive...:p

Simply put, when you are 31-pt favorites, you don’t lose. I doubt anyone thought they’d cover, as we tend to play down to lesser opponents, but you at least win the game. Said it many times, there is no benefit for the U to schedule cream puffs, like this. If we win, we were supposed to do that. If we win an ugly game or lose, this is what happens. Offense, coaching, and special teams cost us this one. Defense gives up less than 200 yds and 14 pts (7 of which was after the short field on the miss on 4th down).

Yes. Bowling Green was considered the worst team on our schedule and the line was -31. You simply cannot lose that game.
Especially when your D holds them to 14. Only way you should lose to a team like that is on some flukey odd situation. To only score 10 points....yeah that just bad.

Top Bottom