Worst Gopher team ever. Possibly one of worst ever in big conference history?

cncmin

Reaction score
This team might get blasted in Division III, hell in a rural high school league they'd struggle to win more than a few games.

Worst college team I've ever seen, by far. The coaching staff better figure some things out, because since the USC game I've seen zero ability in playcalling, either offensive or defensive. Player development is obviously nil, perhaps backward even worse than Brewster.

The players better get some heart and some brains (stupid stupid stupid penalties over and over again), because they are embarrassing themselves, their fans, and their school.

If the U hadn't built a new stadium and if football weren't profitable, they would have to seriously consider dropping football as a team sport.

Where's the WATERBOY when South Central Louisiana State, errr, Minnesota, needs him?

YOU CAN DO IT!

Football won't be profitable for long. No one is going to come to the games anymore. The coaches better start selling playing time as our #1 plus to come to MN. There isn't one spot on this team that has a set starter for next year. As far as how historically bad we are. I'm not sure St. Thomas couldn't beat us...

Indiana has had quite a few worse teams than this.

Think of it like the NFL preseason. It's all just planning for the future at this point.

we had a 1-11 year under brewster to, dont forget that. Our biggest problem is that we have so many young players in the game. Nobody will ever compete in a BCS conference with that many freshman playing, along with a bunch of heartless idiots that feel sorry for themselves, AKA the upperclassmen. The only upperclassmen that really show heart in WANTING to play to me seem like Gray and Royston

we had a 1-11 year under brewster to, dont forget that. Our biggest problem is that we have so many young players in the game. Nobody will ever compete in a BCS conference with that many freshman playing, along with a bunch of heartless idiots that feel sorry for themselves, AKA the upperclassmen. The only upperclassmen that really show heart in WANTING to play to me seem like Gray and Royston

Yeah but we were actually somewhat competitive that year, had a new, "exciting" offensive system being installed that showed some promise, and were getting verballed by high-end recruits during the season. This 2011 team is miles away from that 2007 team.

Tinsley actually plays pretty well in my opinion. He still appears to be trying.

Tinsley actually plays pretty well in my opinion. He still appears to be trying.

I realized I forgot Tinsley after I posted and didn't feel like editing. Had I edited I would have done much more work than most of our players did today

It's disgusting that we're having the "worst Gopher team ever" debate for the second time in five years.

i have refrained from commenting on this team all year

but I can't anymore. This is the worst team I have seen from Minnesota. Grant it I'm not an old timer but since the wacker era I haven't seen a worse tackling, heartless and just all around don't give a crap effort. I have to question some of the play calling as well, just looks like we are in for years of disappointment. Call it rebuilding, but Shortell is not the type of QB that is going to be successful in this system, Nelson may be the right QB but he is minimum 3 years from leading this team to a bowl game. I'm taking the rest of the year off!

Yeah but we were actually somewhat competitive that year, had a new, "exciting" offensive system being installed that showed some promise, and were getting verballed by high-end recruits during the season. This 2011 team is miles away from that 2007 team.

Correct.

We also lost two games in overtime that year.

Here are the scores according to Wikipedia:

09/01/2007 Bowling Green L 32–31 OT
09/08/2007 Miami (Ohio) W 41–35 3OT
09/15/20077 Florida Atlantic L 42–39
09/22/2007 Purdue L 45–31
09/29/2007 #8 Ohio State L 30–7
10/06/2007 Indiana L 40–20
10/13/2007 Northwestern L 49–48 2OT
10/20/2007 North Dakota State L 27–21
10/27/2007 #20 Michigan L 34–10
11/03/2007 Illinois L 44–17
11/10/2007 Iowa L 21–16
11/17/2007 Wisconsin L 41–34

BTW, I think Brewster was a bad hire, but the idea that his first season and Kill's first six games are similar is wrong. This season the team looks like it has no idea what it is doing. Oh, that's right. There's no talent.

The games against Iowa and Wisconsin to end Brewster's first year were a bright spot. I believe it was the first time in a long time that we were not completely embarrassed by at least one of those teams. Hopefully, we will see some improvement from this squad by the end of they year...SOMETHING to hang our hats on. If they keep losing like this and end up with the lowest rated recruiting class in the conference, it will be hard for anyone to hold out any hope for this staff.

The one-and-whatever in Salem's last season was worse than this.

That 2007 team was so much better than this 2011 team. At least the 2007 team competed and could score, the 2011 team can't do anything.

I am with 50 pound head

Salem's last year caused my worst public meltdown at the Metrodome. I have never uttered a worse string of profanity since then. I have not been the same since. As great a player as he was, that team was the worst I have ever seen.

1983:

9/10 @Rice W 21-17 (+4)
9/17 Nebraska L 13-84 (-71)
9/24 Purdue L 20-32 (-12)
10/1 @tOSU L 18-69 (-51)
10/8 @Indiana L 31-38 (-7)
10/15 Wisconsin L 17-56 (-39)
10/22 @Northwestern L 8-19 (-11)
10/29 @Michigan State L 10-34 (-24)
11/5 Illinois L 23-50 (-27)
11/12 Michigan L 10-58 (-48)
11/19 @Iowa L 10-61 (-51)

1984 (Lou Holtz's first year):

9/8 Rice W 31-24 (+7)
9/15 @Nebraska L 7-38 (-31)
9/22 @Purdue L 10-34 (-24)
9/29 tOSU L 22-35 (-13)
10/6 Indiana W 33-24 (+9)
10/13 @Wisconsin W 17-14 (+3)
10/20 Northwestern L 28-31 (-3)
10/27 Michigan State L 13-20 (-7)
11/3 @Illinois L 3-48 (-45)
11/10 @Michigan L 7-31 (-24)
11/17 Iowa W 23-17 (+6)

Salem's last year was the all-time pits, but this year may be as bad or even worse. I'd say these two years are the worst I've seen, certainly worse than '51, '58, '92, '07 and other downer years.

It's disgusting that we're having the "worst Gopher team ever" debate for the second time in five years.

Correction - the third time in 5 years. Many people last year were calling that team the worst ever for most of the season.

re: 1983
i think SI had a top 10 worst football teams...Rice #1 and Minnesota #2 ...and the rice/gopher game was dubbed the toilet bowl

this year feels a lot like 1983

Far worse. And there have been many teams in the Big Ten that were not just a little bit worse, but far far worse than this one. In fact, this topic is so inconceivably stupid that I suspect that the original poster is either not really a Gophers fan or has some kind of developmental disability.

Don't forget Illinois had some absolutely putrid teams in the mid 2000s.

People have very short memories. They tend to think whatever is bad now is not just bad, but the worst ever. Northwestern once had a streak of 34 consecutive losses. Since 1994, Duke has had 4 seasons with ZERO wins, two seasons with one win, three seasons with two wins, two seasons with three wins, three seasons with four wins, and just a single season with as many as five wins. That's total wins, not conference wins! Duke also has lost a couple games against FCS opponents, but in 2006, they were shut out 13-0 by an FCS opponent.

Yes, the 2011 Gophers team is having an awful year. But the worst FCS team ever? No.

Don't forget Illinois had some absolutely putrid teams in the mid 2000s.

They went to the Sugar Bowl in 2001, and then just two years later started a four-year stretch in which they went a combined 8-38 and 2-30 in the Big Ten. Ouch.

It's sort of like when you have the stomach flu. You may indeed feel like this is the sickest any human has ever been, but it's not true. Of course, that fact might not bring all that much comfort.

It's sort of like when you have the stomach flu. You may indeed feel like this is the sickest any human has ever been, but it's not true. Of course, that fact might not bring all that much comfort.

It's true. It also doesn't bring much comfort to be debating if we've got the worst team this year from a historically bad program.

Top Bottom