World Cup Qualifiers

Would a tie have gotten them into pot 3? Canada scored relatively late and it was called back on a VAR review that was pretty spotty. Ah well, it is important to remember that this is the first time since 1986 that Canada has been in and even more crazy, this was the first time since 1998 that Canada even made the final stage of Concacaf qualifying. Hopefully they can surprise a little bit in Qatar.
What I read was that Canada needed a win. I don’t think a draw would have cut it.

Hoping to see Canada get out of the group. Would be fun. Still a few potential pot 2 teams they could draw where I think it’s realistic. And there is always a good team or 2 that lays an egg that Canada could take advantage of.

It looks like the United States has a very favorable group. If they don't advance, it will be a borderline travesty.

Pretty much perfect draw until we got the euro playoff winner. Still should advance.

In terms of CONCACAF groups, the USA and Mexico received the most favorable imo. Costa Rica (if they win the playoff) gets Spain and Germany in their group? Yikes. And Canada isn't going to have it any easier in their group with Belgium, Croatia and Morocco. The best bets for advancement from the group stage appear to be the USA and Mexico, although their groups also present unique and interesting challenges.

First world problems here but I was tentatively planning to go to Camp Randall this year with the family for the axe game. Second guessing that with USA-England on travel day. Unless I can get to Madison before the game at 1:00 CST.

Last edited:

The downside of our draw is the extremely short window we get for the camp before that first game. With a young team like ours (and PJ Fleck would be proud of how just young we are compared to any other team in the Cup) having a few more days to prep would certainly help. All the other sides have a lot of players that have been in the Cup before. We can hope teams will release the players early so we can start camp ahead of the posted schedule, but that's just a hope, they don't have to do that.

The big upside IMO is that all the teams play pretty much the same style - we don't have a South American or African team in our draw. That'll make it easier to prep for the games, as well as who to select for the team.

Also hard to root against Ukraine, but that's the draw that we've been dealt. I'm hoping Wales is who we end up playing that first game.

First world problems here but I was tentatively planning to go to Camp Randall this year with the family for the axe game. Second guessing that with USA-England on travel day. Unless I can get to Madison before the game at 1:00 CST.
I was literally planning the exact same trip. I know this is on the Gopher fan website but I think I'm staying in MN to watch the soccer game and then the axe from the couch the next day. For what it's worth we are hosting Iowa the weekend before and fingers crossed perhaps we have the BIG West wrapped up for axe game. That USA v England matchup on Black Friday is just so tasty

The downside of our draw is the extremely short window we get for the camp before that first game. With a young team like ours (and PJ Fleck would be proud of how just young we are compared to any other team in the Cup) having a few more days to prep would certainly help. All the other sides have a lot of players that have been in the Cup before. We can hope teams will release the players early so we can start camp ahead of the posted schedule, but that's just a hope, they don't have to do that.

The big upside IMO is that all the teams play pretty much the same style - we don't have a South American or African team in our draw. That'll make it easier to prep for the games, as well as who to select for the team.

Also hard to root against Ukraine, but that's the draw that we've been dealt. I'm hoping Wales is who we end up playing that first game.
Hopefully we can get some good friendlies on the schedule for the October International break and get the team some game experience against European opponents. Obviously Ukraine will be getting any and all neutral support but I don't see Scotland or Ukraine beating Wales in Cardiff. Don't forget Bale's priorities, Wales --> Golf --> Madrid, in that order ;)

USMNT looked great the other night against a quality opponent. Very excited to see how we do against Uruguay tomorrow. Also funny to follow the Mexican fans and media who are in full panic mode after their drubbing against Uruguay the other night. How the tables have turned!

I was rooting for Ukraine but wales earned that victory. USA will open against bale and company on November 21. It’s going to be a wild group!

I was rooting for Ukraine but wales earned that victory. USA will open against bale and company on November 21. It’s going to be a wild group!
Pretty much everyone including me was cheering for Ukraine to win, but I do think it's better for the U.S. to open up the games playing Wales versus Ukraine. Ukraine is the better of the two teams. Of course, we don't even know if there will be a Ukraine by the time the World Cup happens.

Wales and England in the same Group will be fun. It'll be a very intense match.

Meanwhile, the Canadian soccer team is on strike, and at this point isn't even going to play in the World Cups... They'll of course get something figured out between now and November, but still, the team is missing out on important matches needed to get ready for Qatar.

Pretty much everyone including me was cheering for Ukraine to win, but I do think it's better for the U.S. to open up the games playing Wales versus Ukraine. Ukraine is the better of the two teams. Of course, we don't even know if there will be a Ukraine by the time the World Cup happens.
I agree. Ukraine had way more chances to scoree. Wales keeper was fantastic. I like our odds to get out of group. If we could do it in 2014 with Portugal and Ghana, we can certainly do it again

Meanwhile, the Canadian soccer team is on strike, and at this point isn't even going to play in the World Cups... They'll of course get something figured out between now and November, but still, the team is missing out on important matches needed to get ready for Qatar.
We love to see it.

World Cup sex ban as horny fans warned one-night stands can lead to 7 years in jail

Frisky football fans have been warned that one-night stands could lead to seven years behind bars at this year’s World Cup.

Boozy bunk-ups are officially banned at the tournament, which starts in November, with FIFA officials warning there will be “no exceptions” made.

There is a growing unease from UK law enforcement about the possibility of British fans facing severe penalties for “doing everyday things accepted at and after games”.

A police source said: “Sex is very much off the menu, unless you are coming as a husband and wife team. There definitely will be no one-night stands at this tournament.

"There will be no partying at all really. Everyone needs to keep their heads about them, unless they want to risk being stuck in prison.

“There is essentially a sex ban in place at this year’s World Cup for the first time ever. Fans need to be prepared.”

Sex outside of marriage and homosexuality are illegal in Qatar, where the tournament will be held, and each carries a prison sentence of up to seven years.

FIFA has said “all are welcome” at the tournament – but there is a growing concern that is not the case. There are already reports of fans with different surnames being stopped from booking and sharing hotel rooms.

Go USA!!

Top Bottom