Worcester Telegram: 10 years later, Holy Cross' NCAA hockey upset of Minnesota still

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Worcester Telegram:

No matter how many times you watch the replay of Tyler McGregor’s winning goal against Minnesota in the 2006 NCAA Tournament or hear the wild call of it by WCHC radio announcers, it’s not enough.

On March 24, 2006, at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, North Dakota, Holy Cross upset the top-seeded Gophers in overtime and rocked the college hockey world with its 4-3 win.

Almost a decade later, the victory still resonates as the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament history and as one of the greatest moments in Holy Cross sports history.

“It’s almost one of those things where you black out during the play because everything happened so quickly,” said Matt Burke, then a sophomore, who poked the puck away from Minnesota’s Ryan Potulny and passed it to McGregor. “I do remember it being a pretty amazing moment being able to celebrate with those guys.”

http://www.telegram.com/article/20151203/SPORTS/151209657

Go Gophers!!

I remember it like I was there. Which I was. Why couldn't Briggs cover the post...why, why????? A friend of mine, a North Dakota fan, called me from the Twin Cities. I just held the phone up so he could hear the delirium.

And somehow this is status quo with the program now... unfulfilled expectations of Minnesota's "Pride On Ice"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom