(Woodbury MN) Davidson-transfer Michael Jones in the portal

Have to get this guy! Plus, I think he's a two-year player, which would be huge for balancing the classes.

Have to get this guy! Plus, I think he's a two-year player, which would be huge for balancing the classes.
We need someone to bag the three. I watched highlights and he looked solid. Not a slasher.

We’re set at the 3/4?
Yeah, was kind of wondering about that as well. Doesn't feel like we are really fully set at any position. I mean, we will have more options in the front court next year than we had this past season but plenty of question marks.

Don't know much about Jones but from the little I have seen he would seem like an ideal 6th man who could come off the bench and drill some 3s.

We don't need any specific positions - a 2 or 4, etc. That's not college basketball anymore. Coaches get players who are versatile and put them on the floor. Look at Villanova, Beard when at Tx Tech or this year at Texas. Could go on and on. Most are now playing four out motion, spacing the floor with shooters and guys that get to the basket. They are even playing what looks like five out with the big when they have the skill to do so as they rotate players and space the floor. Wright, in particular, has really changed how teams play in the past 8-10 years.

The size of players has gotten smaller, last year 7 of 10 starters in National Championship were 6'5 or shorter. We just need more good players - who cares if they are a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If they are that limited, that is a problem in college basketball today.

Would be a nice get. Quite frankly....we need guys who can play....and can play immediately while Johnson works on getting his own HS recruits into the program and ready to play. Really could use a center and another couple of ball handlers....but can't get choosy. If this kid being from Minnesota means that Johnson can grab him without investing a ton of time.....allowing him to focus more on other positions of need....then that's a huge win.

The size of players has gotten smaller, last year 7 of 10 starters in National Championship were 6'5 or shorter. We just need more good players - who cares if they are a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If they are that limited, that is a problem in college basketball today.

Yada, yada, yada.

We tried playing last year with no good big men. Obviously, that didn't work.

You mentioned Villanova. Yes, they are a guard oriented team but they have put 4 big men in the NBA since 2018. They may not have the same amount of minutes for big men as some other teams but the ones they have are well above average.

Why didn’t Pitino/Ben offer him out of high school

Well, look, this league is supposed to be a place where coaches who have proven themselves elsewhere can advance to a higher level. Since we haven't been following that model ourselves for coaches lately maybe we can at least follow it for some players.

We don't need any specific positions - a 2 or 4, etc. That's not college basketball anymore. Coaches get players who are versatile and put them on the floor. Look at Villanova, Beard when at Tx Tech or this year at Texas. Could go on and on. Most are now playing four out motion, spacing the floor with shooters and guys that get to the basket. They are even playing what looks like five out with the big when they have the skill to do so as they rotate players and space the floor. Wright, in particular, has really changed how teams play in the past 8-10 years.

I agree, but you need guys that can handle the ball, and generally I'll just say that guy is a 1 to keep it simple.

But yes if we go the positionless argument, we need guys that can handle the ball, and we need guys that are big/tough enough to rebound the basketball and guard other bigs, no matter the height or size of any of the above. They don't necessarily need a number attachment.

Between Battle/Ihnen/Fox/Thompson/Joseph pretty much. We need 3 guards and a center IMO. If we are going 3 guards or this kid can play the 2 no issue.
I’ll trust this kid over Thompson and Joseph…cause he is actually playing D1.

I know Steph Curry played at Davidson. I know the coach is a respected guru. If this guy shoots 42.1% from three why does he average 11? Gotta be some flaws defensively or something? What's the rest of the story? Having said that...I hope we get him...can't have too many shooters.

I know Steph Curry played at Davidson. I know the coach is a respected guru. If this guy shoots 42.1% from three why does he average 11? Gotta be some flaws defensively or something? What's the rest of the story? Having said that...I hope we get him...can't have too many shooters.
He’s very solid defensively. Would guard the other teams best wing quite often.

Four of their five starters shot at least 41% from 3pt range and a fifth starter was 38%. So, I think there were plenty of outside shooting options. They won the A-10, a really good team.

That would be quite the haul. C'mon.
Think so? I'm probably way off base anyways. Holy Man is right, might want to offer someone from outside the state also. Which he is doing and most likely would replace one of the four I mentioned.

Top Bottom