Woodard from Duluth East

Slim Tubby

Reaction score
This sophomore seems to be putting up some huge #'s for the Greyhounds including 47 points the other night. Anyone have a description of his game? Are we actively recruiting him? Is he a legit D-1 prospect (or too early to tell)? Thanks in advance!

I have not seen East play this year, but here is what I thought of Woodard from last season. Good height and length for a SG, but probably needs to improve his ball-handling a bit. More scorer than shooter, but can make perimeter shots. Plays hard and is a good (not great athlete). I don't know a great deal about his recruitment, but I do recall reading somewhere (a Monter update maybe?) that Minnesota and Wisconsin have at least taken a look.

Johnny Woodard is a surefire division one prospect and in all likelihood will be a high-major player. He has more than adequate height for his position and is a good athlete as well. He is a very good shooter and has a great release. Excellent form on his free throws. His jumper could be cleaned up a little bit, but at this point it is far more advanced than most players his age. He has some smoothing out to do, but like I said before, he will likely be a high-major player. Some people may question the level of competition he faces as they have with his teammate Dyami Starks, but Woodard is a much better prospect. He is the first 2012 player in the state to receive a scholarship offer (Wisconsin-Milwaukee).

if hes anything like cory johnson, i say FLOP!

Hard to say he is a flop when he is having success at a D-I school. Cory Johnson is currently averaging around 16 points and 6 rebounds for Valparaiso, while shooting 51% from 3 point land. He just had 28 and 10 against Butler as Valparaiso lost by 5. I think if he would have stuck it out at Iowa State, he would have been a factor there as that team is struggling quite a bit this year.

I've seen Woodward play 5 times this year. The kid is a flat out scorer. Handles the ball okay and is a better than good athlete. His form on his jumpshot is goofy as his feet aren't square and often shoots off his back foot but I'll bet his a 40% 3 point shooter. His shot selection is not the greatest and his defense is non-existent but that's a team issue not just his issue. He'll be a high-major I guess if he can learn to do anything without the ball in his hands. However, with his defensive desire, I don't see him being a Tubby guy.

Thanks for the info. Here's my not so helpful thing I came across from mid January...

Johnny Woodard, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound sophomore from Duluth (MN) East, has continued his strong recent play with 27 points against Hopkins Thursday and 37 versus Osseo Saturday. Woodard, who has gotten off to an excellent start this season for the Greyhounds, has attracted the interest of several top college programs. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Woodard to learn the latest on his recruitment.

I have watched every game of Duluth East this season, and he is one heck of an athlete to say the least. He can score from anywhere on the court, and finish with ease. He can be a really good defender if he puts his mind to it. Also can jump through the roof, I only see one weakness and that is ball handling. A very good college prospect.

Top Bottom