Won't win without a point guard

Sota1

Reaction score
No one to lead the team. Period. Cobbs is a freshman, but he look really bad. Compound one mistake by making another. AN loss was huge for this team

This loss was on Westbrook and Joseph. We needed 3's in the last minute of play and both of them drive down the court as fast as they can out of control into the lane and lose the ball. Why the hell are they bring the ball into the lane when we need 3's? They need to get the ball in Hoff's hand at the 3 point line or at minimum shoot the 3 themselves. Complete idiots.

Cobbs was so bad today I couldn't believe it. If it wasn't for politics Allen would of been in there in seconds.

Cobbs was so bad today I couldn't believe it.

Compared to Devoe and Westbrook, I didn't think Cobbs played too poorly (3 assists, no turnovers). What I didn't like about Cobbs' performance was the lack of offense - he came to the Gophers as a highly touted scoring point guard, but he didn't even look to score against Michigan. There were numerous times when he had wide open looks from the 3-point line, but passed them up - Shoot the damn ball !!! Michigan figured out early that Cobbs wasn't an offensive threat and sagged off of him to guard other players - if you have the offensive skills, you gotta keep your opponents honest.

We need a point guard. Very outside chance of getting Cory Joseph. If Nolen is not eligible, we are screwed next year as well.

We need a point guard.

Correction - we need a point guard (or an off guard acting like a PG late in the shot clock) who can SCORE

Teams at the Top of the Big Ten Standings:
Michigan State - Kalin Lucas
Wisconsin - Trevon Hughes
Illinois - Demitri McCamey
Purdue - Robbie Hummel
Ohio State - Evan Turner

Other Top NCAA Teams:
Kansas - Collins
Kentucky - Wall
Villanova - Reynolds
Gonzaga - Bouldin

THE FORMULA IS CLEAR - FORGET ABOUT THE 7-Footers!!!!!

Correction - we need a point guard (or an off guard acting like a PG late in the shot clock) who can SCORE

Teams at the Top of the Big Ten Standings:
Michigan State - Kalin Lucas
Wisconsin - Trevon Hughes
Illinois - Demitri McCamey
Purdue - Robbie Hummel
Ohio State - Evan Turner

Other Top NCAA Teams:
Kansas - Collins
Kentucky - Wall
Villanova - Reynolds
Gonzaga - Bouldin

THE FORMULA IS CLEAR - FORGET ABOUT THE 7-Footers!!!!!

Hummel and Turner are guards now? Who knew?

Hummel and Turner are guards now? Who knew?
Turner has been playing the point this year, although it's not his natural position. Hummel is certainly not a PG, and Purdue does not have a star PG. Jackson and Barlow are the PGs but neither are fantastic and Moore/Hummel/Kramer take the ball up the floor most often.

I don't really think having a star PG is as important as everyone makes it seem.

Hummel and Turner are guards now? Who knew

Do you really expect us to buy that Evan Turner plays a forward position on the floor????? Come on, now.

Hummel I can see that a little big more - he will post up once in a while, but he still takes a lot of his shots from the perimeter.

Regardless of a PG or SG - you need a guy who can penetrate to either dish or score in today's college basketball landscape. This isn't the 1960's 70, or 80's where you just dump it down low to a big man and he takes a hook shot. Players are too athletic and more contact is allowed nowadays.

I hate all this - "get the ball inside to Sampson" talk. Almost all teams win with guard scoring. If you have a spectacular talent - ala Blake Griffin - then sure, run the offense through him. If not -your best option is a guard.

Turner has been playing the point this year, although it's not his natural position. Hummel is certainly not a PG, and Purdue does not have a star PG. Jackson and Barlow are the PGs but neither are fantastic and Moore/Hummel/Kramer take the ball up the floor most often.

I don't really think having a star PG is as important as everyone makes it seem.

If anything Turner shows you need talent, and not necessarily a PG, because a real talent can do just about anything you need him to do.

I hope the Nolen bashers finally notice how important he was to our team. He could at least run the "offense" and dribble with somewhat of a purpose and play excellent defense. It's pathetic watching us try to press without him.

The politics of Cobbs being Tubby's guy and Allen being Brewsters guy.

If I'm in Tubby's position I'm not going to play a guy that is on a football scholarship and has no guarantee of even being on the team next year over a guy who is on a basketball scholarship and is much more of a sure thing to be on the team for four years. Having said that, I'm still curious to see what Allen can do, but I can understand why Tubby would go with the guy that's more likely to actually be playing basketball for his entire time at the U.

If I'm in Tubby's position I'm not going to play a guy that is on a football scholarship and has no guarantee of even being on the team next year over a guy who is on a basketball scholarship and is much more of a sure thing to be on the team for four years. Having said that, I'm still curious to see what Allen can do, but I can understand why Tubby would go with the guy that's more likely to actually be playing basketball for his entire time at the U.

If Tubby thought he was good enough he would be playing plenty of minutes. J Wall at UK is not a sure thing to be around next year and he seems to see some playing time. I think Tubby wants to win games.

Hummel I can see that a little big more - he will post up once in a while, but he still takes a lot of his shots from the perimeter.
A little bit more? Nothing about Hummel is point guard-ish.

I hope the Nolen bashers finally notice how important he was to our team. He could at least run the "offense" and dribble with somewhat of a purpose and play excellent defense. It's pathetic watching us try to press without him.

agree with this, although not anything near an explosive offensive player, he was at least able to run the offense and play D.

No one to lead the team. Period. Cobbs is a freshman, but he look really bad. Compound one mistake by making another. AN loss was huge for this team

This was a HUGE problem while at UK, and then when he got a great PG (Rashan Rondo) he didn't use him to the best of his ability. I'm not sure what the deal is with Tubby and point guards!

Great point you bring up here!

Top Bottom