Women's Clinic tonight sold out

Oscar Munson

Reaction score
I guess the admission fee this year wasn't a huge deterrent after all.

I know 6 going! As sort of a joke, I sent the link for the event to a female friend of mine last week, saying this has your name all over it. She's not much of a football fan, but sent back a note stating it actually sounded fun. Two days later she tells me she lined up 5 other gals to go with her. I'll be curious to hear what she thought of it.

My girlfriend went with a friend and had a blast. They were served wine (gasp!) and great food. I'm jealous that now she has toured the stadium and seen the locker room, etc. and I haven't.

I received an excited phone call the minute it ended - pretty sure most people there had just as much fun.

Any idea on how many tickets they sold? It sounds like an awesome event. Great to hear the ladies got the full tour too!

Haha - one of the freshman sat with them at their table and apparently was good-naturedly flirting a bit. He was convinced they were 4 years younger than they were, which is always a hit with ladies (after college anyway).

Last Night at Women's Clinic/Notes on TCF

Mrs. Billd went with another Gopher Wife and they both had a great time. They committed to do it next year too. They had some comments on making it better that we're going to forward to the GLC.

On attendance, they were told 500 slots were open and all were sold. All the women leaving had smiles and were yucking it up. Got to see the DQ Club too...and as others receiving tours have noted...very nice.

Since I was the volunteered driver for the two, I was around the stadium from 7:30 to 8:30 just hanging out with my son. Here's a couple of observations:

Wind and TCF
We had a steady, moderate wind out of the NNW last night. While standing at the fence at the open west end (with the Tribal Nations Plaza to my back), there was a steady wind-tunnel effect coming out of the stadium right there. HOWEVER, the goal post ribbons were barely moving...if at all. Also, the band was practicing on the field and their flags had some erratic movement...slight gust here and there...but nothing substantial.

Because there were no other flags/banners at the top of the stadium, and the US, MN, and U flags were not up their staffs...don't know what it was like up there...say for the top arc of a punt or kickoff...but there was a wind but no observable effect on the field. It will be fun to observe over the years what wind directions have an effect and those that do not.

Band and TCF
As I noted, the full band was practicing last night. At least at the open end in an empty stadium, the sound was very good from the full ensemble. Some had expressed concerns during last Saturday's scrimmage. I think it will be fine. Also, seeing these folks out there on a Friday night made me realize the Band's commitment to U Football. Ski U Mah to the Band!

Lights and TCF
It was getting "dark" for playing football by my arrival at 7:30. For the band they were using maybe 1/5 of the available lights. The field was lit pretty well at that level so it will be fun to see 100% lighting.

That's it. Also got to see the Tribal Plaza in a more "relaxed" tone too. Very impressive. Overall, the stadium is very impressive.

Down to 7 days...

Go Gophers! Beat Syracuse!

Billd -

How was the sun hitting the field? Will it be in the players eyes as they go to the open end? Is it in the visitor's side seating? Or was it too late to tell?

Wow, lot of questions. One more week is football and two weeks TCF Stadium!

The women's clinic was a packed house. Being able to go through the locker room and out on the field were great. Getting a pic with Brew and some of the players was great (MarQueis confirmed my feeling from watching him during the Aug 22 scrimmage that he REALLY wanted to run but the coaches didn't want him to--he is going to be FUN to watch this year!!). Getting to try on the pads and jerseys and helmets again this year was fun--I was worried I might be stuck in Small's jersey the rest of the night as we struggled to pull it off me, so I have no idea how these big dudes get those things on and off. Food was good, wine and beer were good. The DQ room is beautiful, but I truly have to say I thought the Bierman facility was nice for this event because of the wide open space aspect. Once the program started last night, because of the set up of the room, and because the program wasn't broadcast on the TV screens and there was no stage set up, it was hard to see what was going on if you weren't up front (they brought women up to simulate the opening play from the Aug 22 scrimmage plus another offense vs defense drill). And I also have to say I got a bit frustrated because the 500 women in the place started to lose interest in the program part and the talking and chit chat got louder and louder and by the time Butler got up to speak about special forces, you could hardly hear him even though he was practically yelling into the microphone.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be a downer. The event was great, we're lucky the U does this stuff, we're lucky we were able to hang out at the new stadium, we're lucky we have the fantastic people in the Goal Line Club making these kinds of events happen. Just some observations about how the feel changed a bit for this year's program. All in all it was great time.

Go Gophers!! :clap:

More last night

Butch-N, the sun was already down by the time I arrived...I don't know but I think the big screen scoreboard is going to play a role at TCF for late-day games...That will be tested for the first time (with an early season sun) with the AFA game for sure!

Gopherfaith, Mrs. Billd had some of the same observations as you. If they use the DQ space again, they'll need to make some adjustments to keep it interesting to the end.

Go Gophers! Beat Syracuse!

Here's a question for The Women Gopher Fans

How much interest would there be for a course in Football 101? Do you recognize an unbalance line, the idea behind the I formation? What does it matter how many steps in a backpeddle. Can you tell the difference between zone and man blocking schemes. What is the difference between a skinny post, a post pattern, and a corner post.

Defense is your game, odd man front? 3-4, 4-3? What are the benefits of play bumpand run on the outside? Who covers the tightend?

All this and more....

How much interest would there be for a course in Football 101? Do you recognize an unbalance line, the idea behind the I formation? What does it matter how many steps in a backpeddle. Can you tell the difference between zone and man blocking schemes. What is the difference between a skinny post, a post pattern, and a corner post.

Defense is your game, odd man front? 3-4, 4-3? What are the benefits of play bumpand run on the outside? Who covers the tightend?

All this and more....

Some of what you mention was more of what was included in the women's clinic last year. More x's and o's kind of stuff, and I had expected that again this year. But as already mentioned, it was a bit different this year, more of a get-together than an "educational" opportunity. I'd love to see next year's event include more of the basics stuff. I am a football faithful and ask lots of questions and learn something new every time I watch a game but can always learn more.

Top Bottom