WNIT Championship Game: Gophers versus St. Louis (4-6-24) @SIUE

Missed the first half. Second half not good. Glad they are in the Championship but sad that they got blown out.

Announcer - "Made it a pretty good home court experience"? Ya think? 23 miles away from campus? Sheesh.
our Gophers were just flat out tired

Sunday- Travel
Monday- Game (plus TRAVEL after)
Tuesday- ALL DAY TRAVEL
Wednesday - GAME (3 hour bus ride after game)
Thursday - Rest?
Friday- Travel again

sad that the WNIT couldn't find a closer school then 550 miles from one school and 30 minutes from the other..

and yes I know we didn't play well but..

Uffda. They were so slow. No ball movement. They catch the ball and think, and think, and think until all options are gone. St. Louis had an excellent game plan. I am not sure that Minnesota had a game plan. Fortunately, only Minnesota and St. Louis fans saw this game.

In 23 years of watching this team, I think that may be the worst they've ever looked.
Today was a stinker. I rember the Indiana game last year as being as flat and disorganized and tired as the Gophers looked. Today was close but not quite the utter stinker that game was. The effort was there today, just couldn't put the ball in the basket. It was a bad game. St Louis hit a lot of threes and got their hands on a lot of rebounds and loose balls. They were the better team today.

Did anyone listen to the postgame? What did coach have to say?

League of Her Own sports bar specializing in women’s sports will have it on
Thanks. Found a nearby bar who put it on one of the TVs (instead of Twins game). We were the only people in the place watching the game :-(.

Did anyone listen to the postgame? What did coach have to say?
That we basically were out of gas with nothing left in the tank. She could tell that at shoot around. And, yes, St Louis had travel fun, too....but we did 3500 miles, 5 hotels and 5 nights, she said.

Who might have expected us to get this far with the number of games Mara missed due to injury as well as the games Sophie missed for same reason.

Go Gophers! It's not all doom and gloom for next season folks!

I get not shooting well. But the disorganization and terrible defense are discouraging. They are also slow of foot and that shows against a quick team. Would have been great to close out on a high note and instead all the bad things of the season are front and center. Ugh.
Well said on all accounts. I know the ladies are trying their hardest out there but today, we just witnessed a classic display of raw athleticism, toughness, and desire. There were alot of plays where Saint Louis players just took the ball from our players. Over the summer, our beloved Gopher players will have to work on and develop some level of toughness and quickness. Hopefully we are recruiting players with quickness. But I am proud of this team. Nobody expected a run like this. For the team and coaching staff to get to the WNIT title game speaks volumes of the potential going forward. Today was rough but the outlook seems promising.

Somewhere heard that MN had opportunity to be the host, but couldn't find a place so then St. Louis found a spot??? If that is true this loss goes on our AD Coyle. There are plenty of options around the barn. Plenty of other local colleges, like said before Taylor Center would have been a good venue. Gophers had a lot of travel to go with a lot of games and practices over last 7-10 days. We just seemed slow and struggled to get and make shots. St. Louis was hot from 3's and played with more energy and determination.

20-59 for 33.9% FG vs 26-60 for 43.3% ...10% Win % by St Louis
4-23 for 17.4% 3 PT vs 11-24 for 45.8% ...28% Win % by St. Louis
6-14 for 42.9% FT vs 6-9 for 66.7% .....24% Win % by St. Louis
20 to 16 Turnovers.

most other stats pretty even.

Sad to see the blow out lost at the end, but overall got some good wins at the END. See what happens for next year now. Rah!

Minnesota has the best female basketball players in the country with 2 playing in the final 4. Sad we have to watch horrible Gopher basketball, Minnetonka vs Hopkins would demonstrate better athleticism and skills. That being said, help is on the way, and we have a home run hire in Coach P, a .721 seasoned winner. She knows what we need to fix this

Do we need to portal shop, I don’t know? We know Braun and Johnson are scoring machines. I don’t know what Klick and McKinney bring besides defense.
A lot depends on the direction Coach P wants to go, what position they want to beef up or improve, and what players are available that can help the program. Plus, throw in who stays or goes with our program. Looking at the projected roster for next year, I would take a dip in the portal to see what center is available because Sophie is all we got the 5 spot.

2024 Postseason WNIT All-Tournament team:

Emma Utterback – Vermont
Ja’Mia Hollings – Troy
Amaya Battle – Minnesota
Mallory Heyer – Minnesota
Kyla McMakin – Saint Louis
Peyton Kennedy – Saint Louis (MVP)

our Gophers were just flat out tired

Sunday- Travel
Monday- Game (plus TRAVEL after)
Tuesday- ALL DAY TRAVEL
Wednesday - GAME (3 hour bus ride after game)
Thursday - Rest?
Friday- Travel again

sad that the WNIT couldn't find a closer school then 550 miles from one school and 30 minutes from the other..

and yes I know we didn't play well but..
Totally agree with this. It was just too much…

Where was Ayianna Johnson in the playoffs? I see she didn't play at all. Sorry, I was on vacation.

Top Bottom