WNIT 2024

The big thing to watch for is if Battle can translate her recent success to include kicking the ball out if necessary when she drives. She enjoyed being a one woman show, that seems obvious. Now, can she share?
I don't think this is being fair to Amaya. She is a very good assist creator, she ranks #5 in the B1G. She does dribble a lot but that has been by design, especially as of late. The coach even talked about this earlier in the season that she wanted Amaya to create more of her own shots.

I have been critical of Amaya at times but it has been for one reason only and that is too many turnovers at times especially late in the season. She is a very good point guard (especially considering she is a soph.) and is likely only going to get better.

I don't think this is being fair to Amaya. She is a very good assist creator, she ranks #5 in the B1G. She does dribble a lot but that has been by design, especially as of late. The coach even talked about this earlier in the season that she wanted Amaya to create more of her own shots.

I have been critical of Amaya at times but it has been for one reason only and that is too many turnovers at times especially late in the season. She is a very good point guard (especially considering she is a soph.) and is likely only going to get better.
she also surpassed 300 career assists already.. so to say Amaya doesn't share is crazy...

Please read! Includes details about tonights matchup and comments from Amaya Battle, Coach p and Mara Braun.

If the WNIT ends up with a Minnesota-Purdue final (as may be likely), which team will get to play at home? Purdue (NET 71) and Minnesota (NET 66) are the only double-digit NET-ranked teams in the field.

If the WNIT ends up with a Minnesota-Purdue final (as may be likely), which team will get to play at home? Purdue (NET 71) and Minnesota (NET 66) are the only double-digit NET-ranked teams in the field.
Williams Arena is not available on Championship Day (April 6) due to Robotics, so my guess would be Purdue.

Roads are in really rotten shape, especially side streets. Allow yourself some extra time driving in tonight, and everyone arrive safe at Williams Arena tonight. 94 is still fairly snow covered in St Paul side driving into Minneapolis.

Is the game tonight on TV?

Johnson is in street cloths. Good that Sophie is game on.

Based on Pacific team warming up, Gophers should win comfortably.

At the end, every Gopher played. Madol earlier went in the game.

Good to get the gang back together and to get a win. However this team desperately needs someone that can facilitate the offense, the flow is so slow and the passes are all telegraphed. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to playing together again. I also think they need another big that can dominate. A win is a win but, this team needs a lot of work if the goal is to make the NCAA tourney next year. On to the next one! Go Gophs!

It was announced A.J. was in concussion protocol. Pacific was not very good. I think we need to be aggressive in the transfer portal as we need more talent.

Good to get the gang back together and to get a win. However this team desperately needs someone that can facilitate the offense, the flow is so slow and the passes are all telegraphed. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to playing together again. I also think they need another big that can dominate. A win is a win but, this team needs a lot of work if the goal is to make the NCAA tourney next year. On to the next one! Go Gophs!
Help is on the way with Klick, McKinney and Johnson coming in next year. More team speed and depth. Supposedly Johnson is a scoring machine, the other two will contribute more defensively it sounds

Last edited:

Glad to see the win, and glad we weren’t playing anyone good. The team looked exceptionally slow last night. But, not as slow as the ball movement! Sheesh. A glacier could have guarded us on most possessions.

Glad to see the win, and glad we weren’t playing anyone good. The team looked exceptionally slow last night. But, not as slow as the ball movement! Sheesh. A glacier could have guarded us on most possessions.
Totally agree. I think to me that is what stands out the most. The offensive flow is so slow, it's odd you don't see fast cutting and screening. Looking at a team like Iowa those girls never stop moving

More on last night's injuries to Serah Williams and Sania Copeland:

The Badgers lost all-Big Ten performer Serah Williams after the first possession to an apparent knee injury. Defensive stopper Sania Copeland departed with a couple minutes left in the first half with what appeared to be a concussion.
[...]
As the anchor of the team’s offense and defense, Wisconsin was in for an uphill battle after Williams landed wrong after missing a layup on the team’s first possession and couldn't continue.

She needed to be helped off the court and returned to the bench with her right knee wrapped in ice. Wisconsin coach Marisa Moseley didn’t know the extent of the injury after the game, but Williams watched the second half minus the ice pack, though after the game she left the court with the aid of a crutch

Top Bottom