WNIT 2024

Gophers women's can't host. this weekend is the boys basketball tourney at Williams Arena. Thursday through Saturday. It start tomorrow with QF actions.
They get a first round bye. Then will host after the tourney is done. Top teams in the brackets seem to be the host. They will be the top team all the way through the bracket as long as they keep winning. This is my guess based upon looking at the bracket is all. There first game likely be 24th or 25th.

The only reason some of these teams were selected is that more than a few schools declined like how does a 13-20 record get you an invitation to a postseason tournament?
You again...good grief. No doubt a troll, and no doubt very unhappy with yourself. Feel free to remove your head from the toilet.

You again...good grief. No doubt a troll, and no doubt very unhappy with yourself. Feel free to remove your head from the toilet.
I'm just calling it, like I see it.😁

Last edited:

Omni rankings have Gophers making it to the championship game and losing to Purdue. Last week predictions had Gophers losing in the first round.
Couldn’t get the link to work. If interested try Omnirakings in your search engine

I'm just calling it, like I see it.😁
They have to fill the spots. There is a reason the tournament exists and someone is funding it.
It's similar to a bowl game where the kids often want that last opportunity to play. It gives coaches the opportunity to continue to coach and connect with their team. They can also continue to evaluate who wants to be Gophers. Every game is now a win or go home proposition that brings out some different play.

Going to need to keep #25 from Pacific off the glass

I have it on good authority that we are hosting on Tuesday and that if we continue to win, we’d host on Thursday and then again on Saturday. Apparently our hosting on Tuesday will be announced this Saturday.

I have it on good authority that we are hosting on Tuesday and that if we continue to win, we’d host on Thursday and then again on Saturday. Apparently our hosting on Tuesday will be announced this Saturday.
Minnesota provides a financial guarantee to the tournament sponsor for the privilege of hosting each game, correct?

Final score Pacific 63, Cal Poly 43. So, we will be facing Pacific. We have never faced Pacific before. Pacific is in Stockton, CA......so we all hope the game in fact will be here!!

Minnesota provides a financial guarantee to the tournament sponsor for the privilege of hosting each game, correct?

• Everyone wants home games, and the WNIT makes hosting affordable for all teams. Teams can host in the first round for a guarantee of $6,500 a game. They can host in the second round for $7,500 a game.
  • The WNIT helps offset those costs and assumes all risk for high-cost travel. Teams pay no more than $15,000 combined for all of their road games in the Postseason WNIT. This allows teams to budget for their postseason play and doesn't penalize them for winning.
  • Early-round pairings are regionalized as much as possible in order to minimize missed class time and travel costs

Final score Pacific 63, Cal Poly 43. So, we will be facing Pacific. We have never faced Pacific before. Pacific is in Stockton, CA......so we all hope the game in fact will be here!!
Actually, I hope the first 100 people to sign up get a free charter flight to Stockton,CA, hotel accommodations and $125 per diem ... but if that doesn't happen ... then I would prefer a home game too!

Maybe because through TV money and sponsors they can make some more money?
Maybe because e v e r y b o d y gets a trophy in today's culture?

Always follow the money. No one is going through this type of process, unless they are making a profit for doing so.

I'm likely going to the game. Any chance they could get Fox9+ to carry the Big 10+ feed locally? I know they did this with Hockey. Would be nice if those that cannot make it could see the game. That time of year where a lot of people likely dumped there Big 10+ membership.

From the above article:

Amaya Battle and Mara Braun, together on a podium for the first time in nearly two months, were talking about a recent Gophers women's basketball practice.

Braun, aching to return to a game, was on the court before workouts began, shooting. Battle, who hasn't played with Braun since Braun broke a bone in her right foot on Jan. 28 at Illinois, joined her.

Braun: "She comes out and starts rebounding and firing passes. She was so excited, so giddy. She's like, 'I can't believe I get to pass to you again.'"

Battle: "I'm just super excited to be able to play with her again. I can't wait."

They'll have to wait until Tuesday.

That's when the Gophers, who received a first-round bye, will open WNIT action against Pacific at Williams Arena.

It is the NCAA tournament, not the WNIT, that teams aspire to at the start of each season. The Gophers had entered the NCAA discussion, and were 14-5 overall and 4-4 in the Big Ten, when Braun hit a three-pointer but landed on an Illinois opponent's foot, putting the Gophers up seven with just over seven minutes to go.

The Gophers lost that game. Braun had surgery, and the Gophers continued to struggle. Eventually center Sophie Hart's left hip forced her out of action..

From the above article:

Amaya Battle and Mara Braun, together on a podium for the first time in nearly two months, were talking about a recent Gophers women's basketball practice.

Braun, aching to return to a game, was on the court before workouts began, shooting. Battle, who hasn't played with Braun since Braun broke a bone in her right foot on Jan. 28 at Illinois, joined her.

Braun: "She comes out and starts rebounding and firing passes. She was so excited, so giddy. She's like, 'I can't believe I get to pass to you again.'"

Battle: "I'm just super excited to be able to play with her again. I can't wait."

They'll have to wait until Tuesday.

That's when the Gophers, who received a first-round bye, will open WNIT action against Pacific at Williams Arena.

It is the NCAA tournament, not the WNIT, that teams aspire to at the start of each season. The Gophers had entered the NCAA discussion, and were 14-5 overall and 4-4 in the Big Ten, when Braun hit a three-pointer but landed on an Illinois opponent's foot, putting the Gophers up seven with just over seven minutes to go.

The Gophers lost that game. Braun had surgery, and the Gophers continued to struggle. Eventually center Sophie Hart's left hip forced her out of action..
Hopefully Battle will still continue to play how she left off in the Big 10 Conference with being able to score on the offense too. If she continues, that will free up more passes for open shots. Be fun to see if the full squad can make a run to end the year strong! See if they have a deeper rotation to help keep players fresh too as games will start coming quick if they keep winning now!

. . . Be fun to see if the full squad can make a run to end the year strong. . . .
Agree, but I am expecting such a run. Coach P showed in the non-conference that the team can handle weak competition, and that is what’s on tap.

Hopefully Battle will still continue to play how she left off in the Big 10 Conference with being able to score on the offense too. If she continues, that will free up more passes for open shots. Be fun to see if the full squad can make a run to end the year strong! See if they have a deeper rotation to help keep players fresh too as games will start coming quick if they keep winning now!
Such a fun interview! Hard not to root for these kids, go lady Gophers!

The big thing to watch for is if Battle can translate her recent success to include kicking the ball out if necessary when she drives. She enjoyed being a one woman show, that seems obvious. Now, can she share?

Top Bottom