With the impending new AD hire, now is the time for concerned Gopher fans to reach

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
out to President Kaler and let him know we demand excellence.

President Kaler contact info:
email: [email protected]
phone: 612-626-1616

I called and wrote an email saying that I have a ton of respect for Beth Goetz and think she has done an admirable job in a tough spot. However, this is not the time to roll the dice with an unknown quantity. We need a candidate who will be able to raise a ton of money to complete the facilities project and pay coaches going forward. We need an AD with a vision to return Gopher football to the top of the Big 10.

We absolutely need to get this hire right. The future of Gopher sports depends on it.

Double speak is the biggest communication challenge facing Americans in the modern era. "I have a ton of respect..." and "unknown quantity" seem to be mutually exclusive thoughts. Is this how a Minnesota education is reduced?

Maybe a revised entry should be made. Goetz sucks big time and the A.D. should set all suckage aside until Minnesota rocks united and on top.

We absolutely need to get this hire right. The future of Gopher sports depends on it.

I'm sure he'll just say Oh you want the right hire? Well then....

I can't imagine much more useless to them than some internet yahoos who know jack **** about the candidates to tell them who we want.

Double speak is the biggest communication challenge facing Americans in the modern era. "I have a ton of respect..." and "unknown quantity" seem to be mutually exclusive thoughts. Is this how a Minnesota education is reduced?

Maybe a revised entry should be made. Goetz sucks big time and the A.D. should set all suckage aside until Minnesota rocks united and on top.

Apologize if I was unclear. I believe that Beth Goetz is a perfectly capable bureaucrat. I think she should continue in that role. But for AD we need somebody who can raise a ton of $$$ in a short period of time. Goetz has zero experience raising money before Megatongue left, and she hasn't exactly been raking in the donations since.

I'm sure he'll just say Oh you want the right hire? Well then....

I can't imagine much more useless to them than some internet yahoos who know jack **** about the candidates to tell them who we want.

Actually I'm a season ticket holder. So yeah that should matter to the AD. I think all season ticket holders should contact Kaler and say how they feel. I know several people who are ready to dump their tickets if Goetz gets the AD gig.

Actually I'm a season ticket holder. So yeah that should matter to the AD. I think all season ticket holders should contact Kaler and say how they feel. I know several people who are ready to dump their tickets if Goetz gets the AD gig.

They're okay with ANY of the announced candidates except Beth Goetz? They'll keep their season tickets as long as anybody but Goetz doesn't get the job? They researched all the other possible candidates and said "Just not her!"

Wonder if that research was real time consuming?

They're okay with ANY of the announced candidates except Beth Goetz? They'll keep their season tickets as long as anybody but Goetz doesn't get the job? They researched all the other possible candidates and said "Just not her!"

Wonder if that research was real time consuming?

For a lot of them this has been coming for awhile. The increase in required donation along with dysfunction in the Athletic Dept. has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Even more reason why Kaler absolutely has to get this hire right.

Oh, you are a season ticket holder? Wow. You should be in the committee then.

So are a lot of people here.

We still know jack.

Kaler wants a candidate picked that will not be directly linked to his single decision. It must be a group, preferably a very large group, that makes the choice.
Other than that I do not think he gives a rat's ass who it is.

Thank you AhliBobwa for expressing your opinion to President Kaler. I think it's important for University leadership to hear from people who value WINNING in revenue sports because they certainly heard from people upset about the University spending $150,000 to hire Turnkey Search and they certainly will hear from people complaining about Richard Pitino's outrageous use of a private jet. You certainly don't deserve the ridicule you've gotten from some in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems a lot of people on GopherHole, though slightly closeted, are advocating for Goetz...and I cannot fathom why.
Seems any time someone said "NOT GOETZ" the torches and pitchforks come into play...
If I were a member of the committee or, well, a season ticket holder I guess, she wouldn't be in my top 20.

Closeted? I think Goetz is a qualified candidate. I don't think she will get the job as the strength of the other finalists appear stronger than her qualifications. As for pitchforks, more like rubber spatulas.

We need to a WI castoff so that we can try to create what WI was 15 yrs ago. BTW: Russ Wilson is giving the commencement this weekend at UW.....beautiful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems a lot of people on GopherHole, though slightly closeted, are advocating for Goetz...and I cannot fathom why.
Seems any time someone said "(ANYBODY BUT?)NOT GOETZ" the torches and pitchforks come into play...
If I were a member of the committee or, well, a season ticket holder I guess, she wouldn't be in my top 20.

People such as yourself who I guess have been already came out, must not have noticed that those "pitchforks"also have been out when Najarian, Carter and Stein's names have come-up too.

Come to think it, there's not as much "anybody but him" posts though is there? The O.P. wouldn't even directly answer the question. That's what seems odd here. Something that you "can't fathom" though.

I'd like someone who's had A.D. experience, or has been a College fundraiser and has been involved with successful football programs on a high level. And someone who wasn't as tone death and narcissistic as Teague either. Goetz only gets credit for not being "Teague like". That said the "anybody but the woman" posts? Those you're fine with, but people pointing that out really bother you or maybe like yourself, you just think they should come out of the closet and tell people what you want to hear?

Okay, everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

Seems any time someone said "NOT GOETZ" the torches and pitchforks come into play...

Why should anyone here endorse anyone for AD?

If you look at all the candidates that get brought up on here isn't much reason to think anyone knows what they would do in that job. None of the folks that get support on here have a track record as AD at all (I don't count an interim role). Many have zero experience even in athletics administration, and those with it, we really don't know what they've done that would relate to the AD job.

I haven't seen a good argument by anyone for a candidate on this forum that wasn't the same amount of guesswork as any other argument made on here.

somebody who can raise a ton of $$$ in a short period of time

Raising a ton of money in a short time doesn't happen except through dumb luck and/or being in the right place at the right time, meaning literally anyone could do it. Raising a ton of money based on skill and building relationships takes time, like anything else in life worth doing.

Goetz has zero experience raising money before Megatongue left

False.

and she hasn't exactly been raking in the donations since

How would you or anyone else know?

I really don't have a horse in this race. I'm hopeful three years from now the person hired will be viewed favorably.
How far back in time does one need to go to find a U of M athletic director that appealed to the masses?

We need to a WI castoff so that we can try to create what WI was 15 yrs ago. BTW: Russ Wilson is giving the commencement this weekend at UW.....beautiful.
Impressive, considering he probably never went to class there

out to President Kaler and let him know we demand excellence.

President Kaler contact info:
email: [email protected]
phone: 612-626-1616

I called and wrote an email saying that I have a ton of respect for Beth Goetz and think she has done an admirable job in a tough spot. However, this is not the time to roll the dice with an unknown quantity. We need a candidate who will be able to raise a ton of money to complete the facilities project and pay coaches going forward. We need an AD with a vision to return Gopher football to the top of the Big 10.

Now it's time to reach back to him and say "Thank You" for the home-run hire.

Now it's time to reach back to him and say "Thank You" for the home-run hire.

This is why bitching and moaning and threatening to yank your piddly donation works so well. Shut up and applaud, "experts".

The hiring of Coyle certainly appears to be a home run! The U has committed real resources and assets to assure the future of Gopher athletics is successful for years to come. My sincere appreciation to President Kaler and the entire administration for this hire. In addition, Beth Goetz accepted a position as interim AD and there is no way for het to win in that position. I think she did everything in her power to protect and promote the U during her short tenure. I hope there is a place on the staff for her and wish her the best of luck. There is something special brewing at the University of Minnesota and I can't wait to watch the athletic successes pour of our campus.
Go Gophers!

The hiring of Coyle certainly appears to be a home run! The U has committed real resources and assets to assure the future of Gopher athletics is successful for years to come. My sincere appreciation to President Kaler and the entire administration for this hire. In addition, Beth Goetz accepted a position as interim AD and there is no way for het to win in that position. I think she did everything in her power to protect and promote the U during her short tenure. I hope there is a place on the staff for her and wish her the best of luck. There is something special brewing at the University of Minnesota and I can't wait to watch the athletic successes pour of our campus.
Go Gophers!

Nice post. Agree 100%

Go Gophers!

+1

Top Bottom