With Buckles Out of the Picture, How Does Our Lineup Look?

You don't consider Trevor Mbakwe a nasty physical PF?

Considering he played Center for the Gophers, no I don't. Nor do I consider the Gophers starting PF last year, Rodney Williams, to be a nasty physical PF.

My point was only that just because the PF isn't nasty and phsycial doesn't mean all is lost - one of our centers could step up as well.

I say we start lobbying Ra'shede Hageman. He could give us 4-5 minutes of nasty per game, right? It would help him improve his mobility/agility before the NFL draft. We shouldn't need him until the B1G schedule anyway, right? Right? OK, just kidding. Never mind.

I say we start lobbying Ra'shede Hageman. He could give us 4-5 minutes of nasty per game, right? It would help him improve his mobility/agility before the NFL draft. We shouldn't need him until the B1G schedule anyway, right? Right? OK, just kidding. Never mind.

Is it a bad sign I was nodding along in full agreement to this? Only disagreeing with 4-5 minutes in hopes of starting instead?

I also checked google for his height, he's 6'6" btw.

That's just crazy enough to work.

There's no way he'd jeopardize his draft status by putting himself at risk for injury, but I'm trying to think outside the box here. Anyone else on the football roster that could help?

There's no way he'd jeopardize his draft status by putting himself at risk for injury, but I'm trying to think outside the box here. Anyone else on the football roster that could help?

Isn't Wozniak like 6'9?

Tubby is that you? The possibility that EE and "Not So Big" Mo play together bring back flashbacks of EE and Sampson playing together when Mbakwe went down.

Yes, it's me Tubby. It wasn't EE and Ralph playing together that was the issue. (Or Iverson and Sampson, that was guard play.) In any case, I'm not suggesting it would work to do this often, especially in Pitino's style. But there may be match-ups where it's the only way we don't get killed on the glass.

How about Maxx Williams? He looks like he could box out a guy or two. Everyone knows TE's make great power forwards.

Losing Coleman could hurt a little now.

I agree, now that we have an open scholarship I would take Coleman giving 10 minutes or so at the "3" spot. I don't think he would have been happy with a secondary role, though, after being a starter, and I think that's the big reason he transferred. The coaches were honest with him about where they saw him fitting in.

What really stinks is that we could have had any number of guys this summer. That rebounding forward from Rutgers, I forget his name, was the guy we probably lost by holding out for Buckles.

I agree, now that we have an open scholarship I would take Coleman giving 10 minutes or so at the "3" spot. I don't think he would have been happy with a secondary role, though, after being a starter, and I think that's the big reason he transferred. The coaches were honest with him about where they saw him fitting in.

What really stinks is that we could have had any number of guys this summer. That rebounding forward from Rutgers, I forget his name, was the guy we probably lost by holding out for Buckles.

Meh, anyone we could have added would have taken up a scholarship next year and probably at least a year or two beyond that. I'd just assume hold the slot open and let Pitino fill it in 2014.

Depth. Simple as that. We have no depth.

I think we have pretty good depth in the backcourt, frontcourt I agree has little depth. I don't know if it will be 3 in, 3 out in our 3 guard offense but I expect a lot of substitutions. I don't see where we will be able to dictate tempo on a consistent basis in the B1G.

Looking at the roster IMO, I see 5 players I do not feel Coach P. would have recruited for his style of basketball. If we finish towards the bottom of current expectations, once again IMO, 4 of the 5 may part, leaving only EE. I think the all out recruiting effort will continue for at least the next 14-15 months.

It seems that Buggs is the key this year. The 3 guards could/should be solid, but is that enough with just EE and Mo playing the 5?

Dre
Smith
Hollins
Buggs
EE

2nd team
Mathieu
Mav
Wally/King if eligiable
Oto
Big Mo
Reserves
Mcneil
Shell
perhaps one more walk on????

Hate to say it, but it looks like Oto will get some minutes as I don't think King can play the 4. If we're gonna play fast we will need all the bodies we can get.

Dre
Smith
Hollins
Buggs
EE

2nd team
Mathieu
Mav
Wally/King if eligiable
Oto
Big Mo
Reserves
Mcneil
Shell
perhaps one more walk on????

Hate to say it, but it looks like Oto will get some minutes as I don't think King can play the 4. If we're gonna play fast we will need all the bodies we can get.

I am a Buggs fan but for some reason I have the feeling the King starts early and Buggs becomes more and more of a factor as the season rolls on. I also see the possibility that in games where we are having a tough time on the boards you could see Walker and Elliason in together in the second half if fouls are not an issue.

I could see King starting over Buggs, but first he needs to get his waiver to promises there as we just learned. I also think McNeil gets plenty of action early on, him and Mathieu and Mav will compete for minutes

Top Bottom