With a win over Purdue, are our Gophers a lock for The Tourney?

With a win tomorrow, are the Gophers a lock for The Tourney?

• Total voters

We already have much better wins than many of the other bubble teams. A win over Purdue and we should be a lock, no question.

I think we are in, but if they take Rhode Island, Miss State and/or Illinois over us and we all lose tomorrow, I will be furious.

Regardless of what happens to other teams on the bubble and no matter how our resume compares to others we need 22 wins to get in.

Regardless of what happens to other teams on the bubble and no matter how our resume compares to others we need 22 wins to get in.

If they win tomorrow, they do not need to win the B10 tourney. No team with 5 wins agianst the rpi top 50, a .500 conference record and 21 wins will ever be left out of the dance.

If they win tomorrow, they do not need to win the B10 tourney. No team with 5 wins agianst the rpi top 50, a .500 conference record and 21 wins will ever be left out of the dance.

I actually think we have a good chance as is. Sarcasm is hard to pick up on a message board, but I was basiclly just spewing what FOT has been stubbornly repeating since the Big Ten season started.

So far only Gopher Warrior and FoT have voted "No."

I'm just curious...b/c it's contrary to popular belief...what's the argument for the us not getting a bid with a win tomorrow?

So far only Gopher Warrior and FoT have voted "No."

I'm just curious...b/c it's contrary to popular belief...what's the argument for the us not getting a bid with a win tomorrow?

Not sure. With 21 wins including victories over Butler, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Illinois on the road I can't imagine us not getting in. Just read those wins out loud to yourself and try to say with a straight face that we wouldn't be a lock. I can't do it.

No such thing as a "lock" with our resume unless we win it all. We "should" be in but all it would do is move us to the "last 4 in" instead of our current "last 4 out" status.

we are already in as long as we don't crap our pants against Purdue, we just need to lose close. But we will win.

I guess not as relevant b/c this was meant for today's Purdue game...yet even some on the board think we aren't a lock with that 30 pt drubbing of #6 Purdue?

I guess not as relevant b/c this was meant for today's Purdue game...yet even some on the board think we aren't a lock with that 30 pt drubbing of #6 Purdue?

#1. Strength of NC schedule (or lack there of)
#2. Losses to Michigan (2x), MSU, Miami, Indiana, Purdue, and Portland

BT tourney wins have been impressive, but everyone knows that tOSU, MSU and Purdue are NCAA tourney locks. They have little to gain by winning BT Tourney other than bragging rights and maybe a minor seed placement.

Bottom line is that the Gophers have to win the BT tourney to secure the automatic bid. Leaving it to the committee is a first out situation, even after today's trouncing of Purdue.

#1. Strength of NC schedule (or lack there of)
#2. Losses to Michigan (2x), MSU, Miami, Indiana, Purdue, and Portland

BT tourney wins have been impressive, but everyone knows that tOSU, MSU and Purdue are NCAA tourney locks. They have little to gain by winning BT Tourney other than bragging rights and maybe a minor seed placement.

Bottom line is that the Gophers have to win the BT tourney to secure the automatic bid. Leaving it to the committee is a first out situation, even after today's trouncing of Purdue.
Drex, you have to look at the other teams we're competing with. Despite our NC schedule and losses, our resume still looks much superior to nearly any of the other bubble teams.

Also, arguing that MSU, Purdue, etc. will somehow not attempt to play their best games because they were assured a NCAA spot is a suspect argument IMO when trying to justify our big wins.

Drex, you have to look at the other teams we're competing with. Despite our NC schedule and losses, our resume still looks much superior to nearly any of the other bubble teams.

Also, arguing that MSU, Purdue, etc. will somehow not attempt to play their best games because they were assured a NCAA spot is a suspect argument IMO when trying to justify our big wins.
A win is a win. Izzo mentioned before the BTT tournament that MSU was taking it seriously, although that hadn't in the past. They were definitely giving it their all. It might have been hard to tell from watching the Boilers on the court today, but I'm pretty sure they were giving it their best effort as well. As pathetic as that is to believe.

Our RPI is still very weak and our win over Purdue is already be discounted by the pundits because of Hummel's absence.

Houston and Washington winning today along with Ohio over Akron could cost us a bid if we lost badly tomorrow.

Our RPI is still very weak and our win over Purdue is already be discounted by the pundits because of Hummel's absence.

Houston and Washington winning today along with Ohio over Akron could cost us a bid if we lost badly tomorrow.

What in the blue hell does Ohio beating Akron have to do with us making the tourney? That just shows how ignorant and uneducated you are talking about our tourney chances

If Kent State had won the tourney they only get 1 bid....I believe Kent State gets an at large bid with an RPI of 47.

Another factor could be Richmond...if they steal the A-10 tourney over Temple, we could get screwed, especially if we lose badly to OSU.

Top Bottom