With 4 4 star recruits already! Over/Under for final # of 4*s is?

9 would put us right at that 17-20 mark based on the past few years class rankings. With 4 in the boat, 3 on the verge and a lot of crootin’ left to do, I think 9 is a good guess

Slightly modified question - will the 2021 class have as many composite 4* recruits (or 5* if we somehow snag one of those guys) in it as the combined 2010-2020 classes?

2010-2016 - 3
2017-2020 - 5
Total - 8

2021 - 4 so far - My guess is we won't make it all the way to 8 but we may get very very close.

Here are the 8 composite 4* guys from the last 10 years
2010 - Gjere - Was a starter as a redshirt freshman before injuries forced him to retire from football
2014 - Jones - Well documented legal and other issues
2016 - Coughlin - Multi-Year starter - NFL prospect
2018 - Dunlap - Multi-Year starter - NFL Prospect
2018 - Faalele - Multi-Year starter - NFL Prospect
2018 - Bateman - Multi-Year starter - High Round NFL Prospect
2020 - Jackson - TBD
2020 - Brown - TBD

Based on those results it is pretty safe to get excited for the future prospects of the current 4* commits and the others that may join them in the future. We may finally be seeing those true difference maker recruits coming on board which is what this program needs to propel it to the upper levels of the Big Ten.

I'm going with 7. It feels great to say something like that.

We have 4 signed, recruiting 4 others and 2 or 3 could get a "bump." I will got with 8 at the end of the day.

My questions is how quickly before our recruits start getting the "Minnesota" bump. Meaning if we recruit them they get a star added. Another good year or two and those 3 stars will all be 4 just because recruiting sights will trust PJ's analysis more than their own (Like AL and OSU).

We have 4 signed, recruiting 4 others and 2 or 3 could get a "bump." I will got with 8 at the end of the day.

My questions is how quickly before our recruits start getting the "Minnesota" bump. Meaning if we recruit them they get a star added. Another good year or two and those 3 stars will all be 4 just because recruiting sights will trust PJ's analysis more than their own (Like AL and OSU).

If we keep competing with and knocking off teams loaded with higher ranked talent like Penn State and Auburn I would think Fleck's recruiting might start to earn recruits some bumps. That and finding guys like Morgan can't hurt.

7-8 seems about right, but the way this wave is building....who knows? Gophs might end up with two 5 stars and 8 four stars. Better than most!

Oh oh, heavy drinking already. Might want to get the aspirin bottle handy.

Fun fact, Denzel Washington hung out with me for a few weeks to prepare for this role... I'm not a pilot:

j3pAXlE.gif

7-8 seems about right, but the way this wave is building....who knows? Gophs might end up with two 5 stars and 8 four stars. Better than most!

The craziest part of all of this is these 4* guys committing without having set foot on campus.

Slightly modified question - will the 2021 class have as many composite 4* recruits (or 5* if we somehow snag one of those guys) in it as the combined 2010-2020 classes?

2010-2016 - 3
2017-2020 - 5
Total - 8

2021 - 4 so far - My guess is we won't make it all the way to 8 but we may get very very close.

Here are the 8 composite 4* guys from the last 10 years
2010 - Gjere - Was a starter as a redshirt freshman before injuries forced him to retire from football
2014 - Jones - Well documented legal and other issues
2016 - Coughlin - Multi-Year starter - NFL prospect
2018 - Dunlap - Multi-Year starter - NFL Prospect
2018 - Faalele - Multi-Year starter - NFL Prospect
2018 - Bateman - Multi-Year starter - High Round NFL Prospect
2020 - Jackson - TBD
2020 - Brown - TBD

Based on those results it is pretty safe to get excited for the future prospects of the current 4* commits and the others that may join them in the future. We may finally be seeing those true difference maker recruits coming on board which is what this program needs to propel it to the upper levels of the Big Ten.
If you have time I’d love to see a similar list of 2000-2009 4 star guys.

Not to be a downer, but right now none of them have actually "signed". Most of them seem all in and very excited to be a gopher, but still hold my breath a little until signing day actually comes. Still doesn't take away from the excitement at all!

No idea, but I hope you guys are all right! Would be great to get 6+.

It's super cool to have a top 7 recruiting class in the nation for 2021! I am still psyched about that. Now, let's hope Fleck has them all pan out. Odds are pretty good we will have a pretty damn good team for a decade at least.

It's super cool to have a top 7 recruiting class in the nation for 2021! I am still psyched about that. Now, let's hope Fleck has them all pan out. Odds are pretty good we will have a pretty damn good team for a decade at least.
Top 5 today--let's enjoy it while it lasts!

Six is probably the best O/U. Fairly confident Gophs get another, but three more?

Remember, there isn't going to be any summer camp bump this year in all likelihood. Everyone is recruiting off of what they saw last fall and last summer. So there may well be little change in what these players have for rankings come fall. Unless a vaccine suddenly gets FDA approval or something!

If you have time I’d love to see a similar list of 2000-2009 4 star guys.

Why not, not a super long list anyway. Note that 247 does not list the rankings for players from 2000-2001 so guessing on those years.

2000-2009 - 4* composite recruits - 6-7 high school - 4 Juco - 10-11 total

High School 4*
2000 - Dominique Sims - not positive he was 4* but he was really highly touted out of high school so he might have been. Going off memory but they had a hard time finding a good position fit for him so he never truly lived up to the hype.
2003 - Brandon Owens - was on his way to being a superstar when his career was ended on that fateful day against Penn State on a super flukey play. Kid would have been a beast and NFL player for sure.
2005 - Alex Daniels - Should have played defense but Mason believed in putting all his best players on offense and tried to make him a RB. Never lived up to the hype.
2008 - Keanon Cooper - Multi-Year starter and a solid player
2008 - Brandon Green - Played a lot but never lived up to the hype
2009 - Moses Alipate - Couldn't cut it at QB, ended up as a TE
2009 - Michael Carter - Had a very up and down college career but was a solid player for us

Juco 4* - Not talented enough to find all their high school profiles and Juco 4* isn't quite the same as high school 4* but here is the list.
2003 - Paris Hamilton - Bust
2008 - David Pitman - Didn't do much
2008 - Traye Simmons - Solid player for us
2009 - Hayo Carpenter - Bust

One thing is clear in compiling that list is that the 2010-2020 4* success rate is much better.

More impressive than having 4 4 stars is that they have 13 commits and no two stars. Impressive uptick in the quality of players they’re in on.

Why not, not a super long list anyway. Note that 247 does not list the rankings for players from 2000-2001 so guessing on those years.

2000-2009 - 4* composite recruits - 6-7 high school - 4 Juco - 10-11 total

High School 4*
2000 - Dominique Sims - not positive he was 4* but he was really highly touted out of high school so he might have been. Going off memory but they had a hard time finding a good position fit for him so he never truly lived up to the hype.
2003 - Brandon Owens - was on his way to being a superstar when his career was ended on that fateful day against Penn State on a super flukey play. Kid would have been a beast and NFL player for sure.
2005 - Alex Daniels - Should have played defense but Mason believed in putting all his best players on offense and tried to make him a RB. Never lived up to the hype.
2008 - Keanon Cooper - Multi-Year starter and a solid player
2008 - Brandon Green - Played a lot but never lived up to the hype
2009 - Moses Alipate - Couldn't cut it at QB, ended up as a TE
2009 - Michael Carter - Had a very up and down college career but was a solid player for us

Juco 4* - Not talented enough to find all their high school profiles and Juco 4* isn't quite the same as high school 4* but here is the list.
2003 - Paris Hamilton - Bust
2008 - David Pitman - Didn't do much
2008 - Traye Simmons - Solid player for us
2009 - Hayo Carpenter - Bust

One thing is clear in compiling that list is that the 2010-2020 4* success rate is much better.
That’s awesome. I remember some of brewsters guys being misses.

I think carpenter, Hamilton, and Green all his injuries.

Alex Daniels was part of the scandal where he and Dominic jones both ended up leaving.
He played DL at Cincinnati and ended up getting a couple of NFL looks

Top Bottom