wisconsin will play Stanford in men's college basketball at the Milwaukee Brewers' stadium this November

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

College basketball's most distinct and unusual regular-season event for next season will take place on a professional baseball field in Milwaukee.

Wisconsin will play Stanford in men's basketball on Friday, Nov. 11, sources told CBS Sports. On the women's side, Wisconsin will face Kansas State. The doubleheader is being billed as the "Aurora Health Care Brew City Battle," according to a source, and the game will be held at American Family Field, home of the Milwaukee Brewers. Television partners and exact game times have not yet been finalized, sources said. Sports marketing firm Intersport, which also runs the CBS Sports Classic each December, is organizing the event.

As men's college basketball continues to add nonconference multi-team events, it's become harder to organize something that stands out from the cram of November mini tournaments. This would certainly qualify. Having two power-conference teams play in the friendly-but-abnormal confines of a baseball park will catch some attention. American Family Field has a retractable roof, and given this will be Milwaukee in November, the game will be climate-controlled and played fully indoors.

Go Gophers!!

I don’t get why this gets attention.
They write this article differently if it’s in the Milwaukee bucks arena? I think not but it would be a better venue

Don’t care (and I live in Wisconsin).

They write this article differently if it’s in the Milwaukee bucks arena? I think not but it would be a better venue
The Bucks arena (Fiserv Forum) is also Marquette's homecourt, so the Badgers have already played there every other year starting in 2018. I presume they will play there again this season. They also played in the NCAA Tournament this spring, including losing to Iowa State in Round 2 despite a huge home crowd advantage.

If it gets a 30,000 (or more) to show up, that seems reason enough to get attention. Other than Syracuse, that seldom happens for a regular season NCAA basketball game.

The Bucks arena (Fiserv Forum) is also Marquette's homecourt, so the Badgers have already played there every other year starting in 2018. I presume they will play there again this season. They also played in the NCAA Tournament this spring, including losing to Iowa State in Round 2 despite a huge home crowd advantage.

If it gets a 30,000 (or more) to show up, that seems reason enough to get attention. Other than Syracuse, that seldom happens for a regular season NCAA basketball game.
30000 tickets at 10 bucks a pop makes less revenue than 20k tickets at 20 bucks a pop.

And what are the chances 30k show up? I vote zero percent chance.

From the lede: College basketball's most distinct and unusual regular-season event for next season will take place on a professional baseball field in Milwaukee.

The whole article is about it being in a baseball field. There is no article if it’s in the bucks arena. Not a bad ploy for UW to generate some fun for the fans in what may be a reality check year for Gard.

30000 tickets at 10 bucks a pop makes less revenue than 20k tickets at 20 bucks a pop.

And what are the chances 30k show up? I vote zero percent chance.
I vote greater than 1% and less than 100%.

I would guess the majority of the the 15,000 fans that fill up Kohl every night will make the trip, and will be given priority to buy the best seats through pre-sales. No Badger home football game that weekend.

I would also venture the best 10,000 seats or so will be priced similarly to Kohl, some premium seats perhaps priced higher. Beyond 20,000/nosebleeds would likely be much cheaper.

If it's marketed well and priced right, I'm sure there's some bucks to me made, especially if they buy $14 beers throughout. If they get lucky on a nice fall evening, could be a good tailgating event.

As a Gopher fan, I'm hoping it flops but that's just wishful thinking.

I vote greater than 1% and less than 100%.

I would guess the majority of the the 15,000 fans that fill up Kohl every night will make the trip, and will be given priority to buy the best seats through pre-sales. No Badger home football game that weekend.

I would also venture the best 10,000 seats or so will be priced similarly to Kohl, some premium seats perhaps priced higher. Beyond 20,000/nosebleeds would likely be much cheaper.

If it's marketed well and priced right, I'm sure there's some bucks to me made, especially if they buy $14 beers throughout. If they get lucky on a nice fall evening, could be a good tailgating event.

As a Gopher fan, I'm hoping it flops but that's just wishful thinking.
All that is true in the Milwaukee bucks stadium too. Which is a better venue to play and to watch in

All that is true in the Milwaukee bucks stadium too. Which is a better venue to play and to watch in
Yeah, but they can't get 30,000 into Fiserv, which was what I was responding to.

Plus they already played in Fiserv twice this past April and I presume will play Marquette there this year, since 2021 was in Madison.

Last edited:

Yeah, but they can't get 30,000 into Fiserv, which was what I was responding to.

Plus they already played in Fiserv twice this past April and I presume will play Marquette there this year, since 2021 was in Madison.
The extra 10k tickets will net them less revenue than the shortage would net them

I guess it’s getting them some publicity. But only because people chose to give it to them.

The extra 10k tickets will net them less revenue than the shortage would net them

I guess it’s getting them some publicity. But only because people chose to give it to them.
Is the stadium making a pitch for a regional? Maybe a trial run ala U. S. Bank a few years ago. Need more so for that than basic arena.

It is exactly that. It is about a unique opportunity to gain some attention they wouldn't otherwise get and give their fanbase a one-of-a-kind experience. It makes total sense that people are giving that extra attention for the simple reason it is at a baseball field and is NOT at the Bucks stadium or the Kohl Center.

Kind of like we did in 2018:

I went to this game at the Vikings stadium and thought it was great. I'm sure Bucky fans will like a unique opportunity at the Brewers stadium. Now, if the Badgers really wanted to get creative, they should have played it at Lambeau Field that week!!

It is exactly that. It is about a unique opportunity to gain some attention they wouldn't otherwise get. It makes total sense that people are giving that extra attention for the simple reason it is at a baseball field and is NOT at the Bucks stadium or the Kohl Center.

I went to this game and thought it was great. I'm sure Bucky fans will like a unique opportunity at the Brewers stadium.
Oklahoma state game was because the stadium wanted to play games before they hosted a final four that spring

Was a trial run

Oklahoma state game was because the stadium wanted to play games before they hosted a final four that spring

Was a trial run

Correct. That doesn't change the fact it was a unique opportunity and gained publicity because of that. I'm sure that's the goal of Wisconsin here. And, it is working, as it has people talking about it, including you.

It could draw 40,000 for all we know.

If the Wild can draw 38,000 to play an NHL game outdoors sub zero in a baseball stadium (at premium prices I might add), why can't the Badger basketball team be a big draw in a climate controlled stadium?

Neither appeals to me, but that's besides the point.

Is the stadium making a pitch for a regional? Maybe a trial run ala U. S. Bank a few years ago. Need more so for that than basic arena.
Regionals have actually moved away from dome stadiums over the past decade, except once in a while at Syracuse (which is already used as a home court) or Indianapolis (home to the NCAA). Note, the 2021 Midwest Regional was going to be at Target Center not US Bank Stadium.

A Final 4 would not be unprecedented because there was one at Tropicana Field in St Petersburg (1999), however that would be an extreme longshot. Football domes are much better suited for Final Fours to maximize capacity. Plus the Milwaukee dome seems to be on the outskirts of town, not really close to the majority of hotels.

That was my first thought. Milwaukee is wanting to host a final four someday and promote the domed stadium as a viable candidate.

Milwaukee just hosted a regional three months ago at the Bucks arena.

If there is a 'play' here for the Brewers stadium, it would have to be for a Final Four. Not sure a baseball stadium works for that, but who knows?

Milwaukee just hosted a regional three months ago at the Bucks arena.

If there is a 'play' here for the Brewers stadium, it would have to be for a Final Four. Not sure a baseball stadium works for that, but who knows?
It was actually the 1st & 2nd Rounds. Wisconsin lost to Iowa St and failed to make the Regional.

Just from looking at this link, I don't see how this court set up is a showcase for a potential Final 4.

It is exactly that. It is about a unique opportunity to gain some attention they wouldn't otherwise get and give their fanbase a one-of-a-kind experience. It makes total sense that people are giving that extra attention for the simple reason it is at a baseball field and is NOT at the Bucks stadium or the Kohl Center.

I went to this game at the Vikings stadium and thought it was great. I'm sure Bucky fans will like a unique opportunity at the Brewers stadium. Now, if the Badgers really wanted to get creative, they should have played it at Lambeau Field that week!!

I personally think it's a good idea to do things like this. And maybe the game is a little worse for spectators....but it can be fun if done correctly. Brings some attention to the team and possibly brings in some new fans. Of course....my opinion would change if that's considered a home game and season ticker holders don't get seats.

I personally think it's a good idea to do things like this. And maybe the game is a little worse for spectators....but it can be fun if done correctly. Brings some attention to the team and possibly brings in some new fans. Of course....my opinion would change if that's considered a home game and season ticker holders don't get seats.
My strong hunch would be that both Badger basketball as well as Brewer season ticket holders will get first crack at seats to this event.

My strong hunch would be that both Badger basketball as well as Brewer season ticket holders will get first crack at seats to this event.

Yes....I'm sure they will too. I was talking about if this was one of their home games, but it wasn't part of their season ticket package. That's where my opinion on these games would flip.

Creative marketing is always a good idea.

Top Bottom