Wisconsin versus Minnesota, The Biggest Game in my Gopher Lifetime

As someone who works in media, this is not only completely inaccurate, it's reckless. There's a reason we don't see projected snow totals until 24-48 hours before it arrives, forecasts change constantly.

I'm not sure snow, unless we get more than a few inches, impacts the Gophers much. Morgan will still throw and the Gophers have 2 NFL wide receivers. Wisconsin's defense is for sure without 1 starter in the secondary for the first half, and maybe 3 with 2 guys out hurt.

It comes down to Taylor. Contain him, Gophers win by roughly 10.

“Wreckless”

OK, I think we’re all smart enough to know forecasts a week out can change.

“Inaccurate”

I copied what I saw on the Weather Channel app. I don’t know whether or not it’s accurate, but that was their opinion as of last night.

As someone who works in media, this is not only completely inaccurate, it's reckless. There's a reason we don't see projected snow totals until 24-48 hours before it arrives, forecasts change constantly.

I'm not sure snow, unless we get more than a few inches, impacts the Gophers much. Morgan will still throw and the Gophers have 2 NFL wide receivers. Wisconsin's defense is for sure without 1 starter in the secondary for the first half, and maybe 3 with 2 guys out hurt.

Are you Ken Barlow?

The crazy thing is that I thought Penn State might be one of the best atmospheres that we’d ever see. Now we’ll likely top that in the very next home game. We’re part of an all-time season of Gopher football.

Someone asked how a bad field impacts the passing game.

The theory I've always heard is that the receivers know where they're going and the defensive backs have to react. So, if footing is less than ideal, that might give the receivers an advantage. If they get open, it's harder for the d-backs to recover.

The real key is whether the QB can get a good grip on the ball. I was covering a HS game earlier this year. Heavy rain before game, standing water on the field. the QB told the coach "I can't get a grip on the ball - it's too wet." So they quit passing and just ran the ball rest of game. and lost. I'm sure at the college level they will try to make sure the ball stays reasonably dry. Another issue is the footing for the QB. If they try to plant their feet and slip, the pass can go haywire.

If the weather is bad, I would look for a lot of short, safer passes.

The theory I've always heard is that the receivers know where they're going and the defensive backs have to react. So, if footing is less than ideal, that might give the receivers an advantage. If they get open, it's harder for the d-backs to recover.

The real key is whether the QB can get a good grip on the ball. I was covering a HS game earlier this year. Heavy rain before game, standing water on the field. the QB told the coach "I can't get a grip on the ball - it's too wet." So they quit passing and just ran the ball rest of game. and lost. I'm sure at the college level they will try to make sure the ball stays reasonably dry. Another issue is the footing for the QB. If they try to plant their feet and slip, the pass can go haywire.

If you remove our big-play ability in the passing game, we lose our advantage. That has to remain part of the game plan, period.

The other thing we've seen many times is some teams come to play in the cold and others don't. They just don't want to get hit when its so cold out. I doubt that will be an issue this week, as too much is on the line and Madison isn't any warmer. Lots of crazy things can happen in these games though. Deflategate in the cold, balls get fumbled, no one can jump on them (it keeps squirting about), etc. Should be epic.

I think a snow game definitely flips an advantage to the Badgers. It will be tough to throw in that type of weather. Hopefully it’s manageable during the game so it doesn’t slow down our air attack.
Strongly disagree.

snow game favors Minnesota.
Evens out the kicking game.
Makes it tougher for Wisconsin to run their jet sweep misdirection stuff.
Fade routes and slants are a little tougher in the snow.
Turning the corner on a jet sweep or kicking a 62 yard field goal are insanely more difficult in the snow.

Strongly disagree.

snow game favors Minnesota.
Evens out the kicking game.
Makes it tougher for Wisconsin to run their jet sweep misdirection stuff.
Fade routes and slants are a little tougher in the snow.
Turning the corner on a jet sweep or kicking a 62 yard field goal are insanely more difficult in the snow.

Excellent points. I like the way you think!

Will the Gophers have sideline heaters? Badgers not so much because there's not enough to go around.

If you’re younger than 65 it’s the biggest college football game in Minnesota that you can remember, no?

If you’re younger than 65 it’s the biggest college football game in Minnesota that you can remember, no?
I'm pushing 50 and yes it is. We've been in this beat Wisconsin for the West scenario before, so the stakes are similar (besides the CFP possibilities). The difference between back then and now is the direction the team is taking. Back then it was "hey look, we have a shot at the West" and it was just nice to be in that position but still had doubts. Now there is a feeling of future sustainability and actually building a power. At least for me this is the biggest game I can remember.

The Nebraska game on October 12 had similar weather to what is currently expected for the game on Saturday. It had rain and snow. Gophers only passed for around 120 yards. But we put up over 300 on the ground. Dominating performance in that regard. I would bet the coaching staff knows a lot about what they can script based on that game. Either way, I like our chances. But hope that Morgan has a grippable football. We are much more dangerous if the passing game isn’t nullified by the weather.

It rained throughout his first career start against Indiana, and he threw for over 300 yards with a good completion percentage.

In the Illinois game this season, he seem to have some trouble gripping the football, but so did everyone else on both teams...receivers and QBs.

Against Purdue in 2018, he was 10/18 for 139 yards, but I don’t recall any trouble gripping the football. Passing wasn’t necessary in that game.

I agree with this take. I can’t see Wisconsin winning without Taylor having a big game.

Top Bottom