wisconsin QB Graham Mertz: "We’re going to get the ax. We’re going to keep the ax."

Dink:

Go Gophers!!
Is his nickname "Captain Obvious?"
I've seen fishing nets do a better job stopping water than our defense does in stopping the run. It will take a herculean effort by the boys in maroon and gold to win this game, let alone not lose by 3 touchdowns.

I'd be shocked if the Gophers keep it within 3 scores but I've been shocked before.
In the games where there are huge spreads gophers tend to cover when favored to lose big and not cover when they are favored to win big. With that being said I don't know if i'd put money on the gophers to cover.

That was just Vegas trying to get people to bet on Maryland. They didn't actually think the Gophers would win by 20.

Actually I am quite confident Vegas did think the Gophers would roll based on how the Terps were held to 3 pts vs Northwestern the week before and the Minnesota 52-10 victory in 2019, amongst other factors. That line opened Gophers -21 and was -19 on game day.

There is one chance to win this game. Wisconsin makes lots of mistakes and turns the ball over.

And it will have to be 3-4 turnovers. And one of them has to go house.

We will give up IMO, roughly 400 yards rushing and about 700 total. This kid is probably an arrogant dink, but he is right.

I hope I am wrong, but to me, you might have a better chance if you use your offensive line both ways and have them anchor your defense as well and use your best running backs as Linebackers. This might be the worst defense that Minnesota has ever fielded, and that is saying something.

They keep the Axe by the two sweetest words in the English language. De Fault.

“This might be the worst defense that Minnesota has ever fielded, and that is saying something.”

As harsh as that statement is...I agree they have to be in the discussion but so would the 1983 Gophers. #1 Nebraska 84 Gophers 13. Keeping in mind this years team hasn’t played anybody good.

Actually I am quite confident Vegas did think the Gophers would roll based on how the Terps were held to 3 pts vs Northwestern the week before and the Minnesota 52-10 victory in 2019, amongst other factors. That line opened Gophers -21 and was -19 on game day.
People (placing bets) probably did think that, at that time.

Last edited:

Wasn't Mertz' father a Gopher FB letterman? I can understand his wanting to win, but it would be nice to have some respect for his Dad's alma mater.

Top Bottom