wisconsin QB Graham Mertz: "We’re going to get the ax. We’re going to keep the ax."

I’d like our slim chances better if Wisconsin was undefeated but I suppose because they lost and also lost a couple games to covid they might be uninspired to play any more despite Mertz’s frustration of losing to NW.
I’m not sure huffin’ and puffin’ before games is ever a good idea.
Just not sure we can get it done.

The skunks open as 21 point favorites so he's not the only who feel pretty confident in them. 21 points. Ouch.

My family who are badger fans are saying they think we win this one. Something about Wisconsin but having anything to play for now that NW has all but clinched the division title and something about not being able to contain our WR.

Don't know that that outweighs our terrible run defense, but I guess who knows?

My family who are badger fans are saying they think we win this one. Something about Wisconsin but having anything to play for now that NW has all but clinched the division title and something about not being able to contain our WR.

The Axe is "nothing to play for"? If true, just more evidence about how lopsided this "rivalry" is and what it really means to Wisc players.

Your family are not dinks.

Go Gophers!!

They said this in 2015 too. Problem is our DL sucks this year. MN wont be able to do anything w front 4 and has been getting pushed back alot. Teague leaving was a big loss and we havent found a good replacement which hurts our young LBs.

We need to throw every pressure we have at Mertz and hope he implodes like last week. We also can not turn it over at all and weight get within 2 TDs.

I mean he's not going to say "lol we're fucked we're so gonna lose!!!".

They said this in 2015 too. Problem is our DL sucks this year. MN wont be able to do anything w front 4 and has been getting pushed back alot. Teague leaving was a big loss and we havent found a good replacement which hurts our young LBs.

We need to throw every pressure we have at Mertz and hope he implodes like last week. We also can not turn it over at all and weight get within 2 TDs.
This pretty much says it all.
  • Pressure Mertz with stunts and blitzes (our DL won't get to him -- esp if Mafe is out)
  • Commit everything we have to the box to slow the run
  • This will leave our DB's in 1-1 situations which sucks, but I'd rather take that chance than letting them run for 6+ ypc or have Mertz pick us apart with time
  • Protect the ball on offense
  • Like last week, mix up run and pass on O and again take frequent deep shots into 1-1 coverage
  • At least one trick play on both O and ST

I mean, couldn't a similar thing be said about 2018? They didn't win the division then either and they weren't ready for our intensity.

• Pressure Mertz with stunts and blitzes (our DL won't get to him -- esp if Mafe is out)
  • This will leave our DB's in 1-1 situations which sucks, but I'd rather take that chance than letting them run for 6+ ypc or have Mertz pick us apart with time
  • Like last week, mix up run and pass on O and again take frequent deep shots into 1-1 coverage
Problem with blitzes is if it's to the wrong side / spot and it's a run you're fucked.

I like Carter a lot, and so do the coaches. I think on one of the broadcasts they said something like "big butt and he can move". Might just need to improve his overall strength (like how much he can squat and bench) to be a bit more stout against double teams? I haven't actually watched him much though, to see if he's getting pushed around.

I'm pretty convinced we'll give up 10+ yards per rush in this game. Not a recipe for winning.

Yeah, I feel like the Wisconsin OL is going to blow away our DL. I expect a lot of 4-3 or even 5-2. With Wisconsin having so many WRs out, we should play press man with single high safety and load the box. I’d rather risk giving up chunk plays in the air than get eviscerated by Jalen Berger and the Wisconsin OL.

Isn't this what Illinois tried, and failed to do? Sure, NW made it work, but they are basically the 2nd best defense in the conference last time I checked. Doing this puts faith in the idea that our secondary is closer to NW than Illinois, which I'm not too sure about.

Either way, we'll commit to stopping the run. That's our defense's major weakness and they will try everything to not let wisconsin exploit it. We're a bit lucky that a RB hasn't separated themselves on wisconsin's offense, catching their running game in a down year while our run defense is down.

Honestly, I think PJ and the OCs need to just be aggressive. Throw everything you got at them and try to go up early and stay up. After last weeks performance, a similar opening would be great and put wisconsin in a bad place psychological, then maybe we can force the mistakes mertz had last week.

He is looking at a career day.

Against Illinois the WI OL looked average at best. If Illinois didn't have such a terrible secondary with out of position safeties, they would have possibly won the game. I actually think our defense has a chance to exceed their expectations (keep WI under 28 points). What concerns me is our OL and offense against their defense. The only chance we have is if we can hit them hard a few times early and they lose intensity. We don't win if we can't score over 28.

I wish I could say he’s wrong. I’m a pretty big homer, but I think we get curb stomped again especially with so many people out. Prove me wrong.

We are allowing 37.8 points per game; Wisconsin is allowing 11.7. Our offense has been good except for when we pull into the turtle shell in the 4th Q. Wisconsin’s offense has been better. Unless our defense has an epiphany and suddenly learns how to hold a powerful offense down—or perhaps forces several turnovers—our offense must put at least 40 points on the board for us to have the chance for a win. Unlike many teams, we can’t look to our defense or to our return teams for touchdowns. All points must come from the offense. Tall order against a team allowing under 12 points a game. That’s my head talking; my heart believes that if we play with confidence and swagger, the kind that comes from solid preparation and individual toughness, we can pull off the win. Foot on the accelerator, on offense and defense, please.

He reminds me of J.D. McCoy (FNL), who was an arrogant ass. I hope he overlooks us and we play like we did in 2018.

Top Bottom