Wisconsin made a bold move, do we have the nerve to do the same?

Whining. MLS? Cmon. Whatever makes you feel better about Gopher apathy, I guess.
You were saying Wisconsin was the same as Minnesota. I was just pointing out you were wrong. No biggie. If you don't think 20,000 people 17 times a year is something + the Wild @ 18,000 41 times a year, then you clearly have an agenda.

Wisconsin made a bold move, but its unclear if it worked.

Wisconsin has played Rutgers and Purdue so far. They lost to the only team they played who will make a bowl.

Their offense looks a lot like the Paul Chryst days and overall they seem about the same level as last year.

GDMFT:

Paying your players makes up for any of that at Ohio State. If we had been paying guys here for the last 40 years, then we would be a power too no matter where the U sits. They are a top 3 dirtiest program in all of college sports history.
Who cares? They win. That's what matters.

Iowa City and Madison are college towns whose fans focus on those football programs. Twin Cities fans can shrug at the Gophers' typical 500ism and look to the Wild, Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings, for wins (although those are also too few). But the dilution of fan attention allows the Gophers to remain in the shadows.
I don't believe that if the U of M was located in Rochester or St. Cloud that anything would be different.

Do we think Iowa or Wisconsin would tolerate as many consecutive losses to Minnesota as we have to Iowa?
Minnesota is not Iowa or Wisconsin. You want to fire the best coach MN has had in 50+ years because of a 3-3 start? You, and fans who think this way are delusional.

You were saying Wisconsin was the same as Minnesota. I was just pointing out you were wrong. No biggie. If you don't think 20,000 people 17 times a year is something + the Wild @ 18,000 41 times a year, then you clearly have an agenda.
How many times do they play on the same day? My guess is virtually zero times. It is possible to be a simultaneous fan of teams in different sports and leagues. Other places wouldn’t make this lame-butt excuse. And it’s not about attendance or ticket-buying - it’s about interest. The only D1 football team in the state should have no excuses about that.

How many times do they play on the same day? My guess is virtually zero times. It is possible to be a simultaneous fan of teams in different sports and leagues. Other places wouldn’t make this lame-butt excuse. And it’s not about attendance or ticket-buying - it’s about interest. The only D1 football team in the state should have no excuses about that.
They don't have to be playing the same day. I don't know how you can't understand this. If I allocate $200 a month for tickets, it doesn't matter if the games are on the same day or not. That's reality for most families. Money is not infinite for most people.

It's also about winning. If the Gophers had the same success as Wisconsin since Alvarez arrives, our fan interest would be much higher.

Last edited:

They don't have to be playing the same day. I don't know how you can't understand this. If I allocate $200 a month for tickets, it doesn't matter if the games are on the same day or not. That's reality for most families. Money is not infinite for most people.

It's also about winning. If the Gophers had the same success as Wisconsin since Alvarez arrives, our fan interest would be much higher.
So you’re saying only the people that go to games are fans. Ok. Have you ever watched the Gophers and Twins on TV on Saturday, the Twins and Vikings on TV on Sunday? Are you not a fan of each of those teams despite not attending in person? Was it difficult for you because of all the dilution of sports interest?

The dilution should only matter when there’s direct competition. Would most people choose to watch MNUFC over Gopher football?

So you’re saying only the people that go to games are fans. Ok. Have you ever watched the Gophers and Twins on TV on Saturday, the Twins and Vikings on TV on Sunday? Are you not a fan of each of those teams despite not attending in person? Was it difficult for you because of all the dilution of sports interest?

The dilution should only matter when there’s direct competition. Would most people choose to watch MNUFC over Gopher football?
The fact is, all of these things are forms of entertainment. Twins, Vikings, Gophers, Wild, Wolves, Loons, Saints, going out to eat, going to a movie, going to the theater etc. It's all entertainment, and people have a finite amount of discretionary money to spend on entertainment.

If the reward in entertainment value isn't worth the money, people will spend elsewhere. Hence nobody going to see Gopher basketball as of late. The program is garbage - why would someone spend the money to see them? I can (and do) spend the eight bucks and drive 15 minutes to see the local high school basketball team play and be far more entertained than the product the Gophers put on the court.

Gopher football and Gopher hockey are appointment-worthy for me. Watch pretty much every game in person or on TV.

I often skip the Vikings game (even on TV) if I've spent a huge chunk of Saturday on the Gophers. But I do consider myself a big Vikings fan. Most of my friends are flipped - watch every minute of the Vikings and watch the Gophers when it's convenient. I'm also a huge Wild fan but certainly don't watch every game, but try to see a couple in person each season.

I also went to 5 MN United and 5 Twins games this past season and went to 2 Gopher hockey road games last year. I will be doing another Gopher hockey road game in a few weeks.

My sports attention is pretty divided, just like most Minnesotans.

Last edited:

I don't believe that if the U of M was located in Rochester or St. Cloud that anything would be different.
I'd probably agree with you re St Cloud, but I think Rochester would be grand. Let's try it and see. :)

I also call this lame. With the exception of the NHL (which is the least followed of the major professional sports leagues), Wisconsin has all of the same competition for the sports fan's attention. It's not that hard to follow the Gophers on Saturday and Vikings on Sunday, is it? Just put on a different shirt. They certainly do Badgers/Packers on the other side of the St. Croix.
My mistake, I thought the Packers played in Green Bay and the Bucks and Brewers in Milwaukee.

Why is Fleck to blame ?

Did he miss the FG ?

Did he fumble inside their 10 ?

Did he tip the pass ?

No to all of that. He actually called a game to get us in place to win. We lost in Minnesota cursed sports fashion.

the-point-over-your-head.gif

My mistake, I thought the Packers played in Green Bay and the Bucks and Brewers in Milwaukee.
Agreed. And if you go to Madison, Lincoln, Ann Arbor or virtually any big program in the big ten the whole vibe is different. Almost all those schools have virtual no competition close by. And please spare me that Ohio state has the blue jackets. Roseau gets more fans than they do

Agreed. And if you go to Madison, Lincoln, Ann Arbor or virtually any big program in the big ten the whole vibe is different. Almost all those schools have virtual no competition close by. And please spare me that Ohio state has the blue jackets. Roseau gets more fans than they do
I can understand why Gopher fans don't want to believe that the pro dominance of the TC market affects recruiting because if it's true, there is a ceiling. You're right about the difference between a pro market and a college market's vibe. It's true in other conferences, too -- e.g. Knoxville, Lexington, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, et al.

Wisconsin has played Rutgers and Purdue so far. They lost to the only team they played who will make a bowl.

Their offense looks a lot like the Paul Chryst days and overall they seem about the same level as last year.
Agree with this. Wisconsin not a very good team this year. Although I will pick them to win the west because in the division full of below average, they’re average

I can understand why Gopher fans don't want to believe that the pro dominance of the TC market affects recruiting because if it's true, there is a ceiling. You're right about the difference between a pro market and a college market's vibe. It's true in other conferences, too -- e.g. Knoxville, Lexington, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, et al.
Vibe might be different but the dollars spent but the fan are not. Pie of fan $$ is only so big.

They are in year zero nothing that happens matters.

Why is Fleck to blame ?

Did he miss the FG ?

Did he tip the pass ?

No to all of that. He actually called a game to get us in place to win. We lost in Minnesota cursed sports fashion.

Why is Fleck to blame ?

Did he miss the FG ?

Did he tip the pass ?

Fleck said the loss was 100% on himself. Was he being disingenuous. 🙄

I had a long post written out, but decided to delete it. I don't buy any of the excuses why Minnesota can't or shouldn't be more successful than Iowa or Wisconsin in football. The bottom line is people here are more tolerant of failure. Depending on your perspective that means Minnesotan's either live much more well rounded lives and sports teams performance isn't that important to them or they simply aren't as competitive.

There are 3,000,000 people in MSP metro. There are about 300k people in Madison and Lincoln.

There are 3,000,000 people in MSP metro. There are about 300k people in Madison and Lincoln.
Agreed. But the metro area of Madison is about 700k. It’s not as big as Minnie that’s for sure but plenty big. Like stated before it’s not a population thing as much as everyone there seems to be all about the local college team with nothing else close by to compete. Everywhere you go in Lincoln or Madison all you see is badger gear or husker gear, stores and they dominate the local sports pages. Nebraska has sucked for quite a while and still gets amazing attendance, gophers have had better teams then them every year for a long time with nowhere near the support. Nebraska always sells out and it’s usually to watch a 5-8 win product. I would agree though that with all the people in Minnie you would think that they would fill that little stadium all the time and it would be a hard ticket to get. Plus it’s a great stadium with a fun atmosphere.

Agreed. But the metro area of Madison is about 700k. It’s not as big as Minnie that’s for sure but plenty big. Like stated before it’s not a population thing as much as everyone there seems to be all about the local college team with nothing else close by to compete.
The Badgers also draw from Milwaukee, which is a little over an hour away. Milwaukee metro is 1.5 million. That doesn't even take into account the other mid-size cities in easy driving distance.

Omaha is one hour from Lincoln. Omaha metro is 1 million. It's not as if these places are in the middle of nowhere.

And nobody from here would ever refer to it as "Minnie."

Top Bottom