Wisconsin LB Not happy about the Gopher's playing Jump around

#2Gopher

Reaction score
https://twincities.com/

Badgers linebacker holds ‘sour taste’ from Gophers playing ‘Jump Around’ after 2021 win​

Andy Greder, Pioneer Press -

INDIANAPOLIS — A highlight of the Gophers’ 2021 football season was the playing of the Wisconsin Badgers’ adopted song “Jump Around” at Huntington Bank Stadium after Minnesota’s 23-13 win in November. Maroon-and-gold-clad fans stormed the field and danced to the House of Pain song.
Badgers linebacker Nick Herbig wasn’t in a festive mood about that on Wednesday at Big Ten Media Days.
“It left a sour taste in my mouth,” Herbig, a preseason All-American, said inside Lucas Oil Stadium. “We just got outplayed, man. It’s simple. But it’s not going to happen again. That’s for sure.”
This year’s Battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe is Nov. 26 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wis.
It will feature an all-Big Ten, and possibly All-America, matchup between Gophers center John Michael Schmitz and Wisconsin nose tackle Keeanu Benton. They expressed mutual respect toward each other this week.
“He’s a great player,” Schmitz said. “He’s definitely one of the best noses I’ve faced in my college career. Can be a little tricky to get around. Just have to find leverage with outside zone and inside zone and mixing it up. Keeping him on his toes. It’s about gaining that first step and that hand placement, getting inside him.”
Benton praised the Gophers’ offensive line unit.
“It’s hard to slip in blocks, it’s hard to get into the backfield, but (Schmitz) is a pretty solid dude,” Benton said. “But at the end of the day, I want the Axe back. So, I’m gonna have to run through his face a few times. But I give him respect where it’s due. He’s an incredible player.”

Benton didn’t take as much exception as Herbig to Minnesota playing “Jump Around.” But he mixed in some veiled shots.

“It goes both ways,” he said. “They play ‘Jump Around.’ Not everybody can be like Wisconsin, but that is the closest you are going to get, I guess. I guess it was payback from us rowing on their ‘M’ when we won. It’s going to keep going back and forth as long as the rivalry lasts.”
One key to last year’s victory for Minnesota was its defense shutting down freshman sensation Braelon Allen. The Badgers running back averaged 6.8 yards per carry across 2021, including 10.4 in the Nebraska win the week before coming to Minneapolis. The U held him to 2.8 yards per carry. He finished that game with 17 carries for 47 yards and no touchdowns.
“They obviously did a really good job and we didn’t,” Badgers head coach Paul Chryst said Wednesday. “Couple things right away: They had dang good players and they understood their scheme. It’s a good scheme. I don’t think we did anything to help Braelon around it. We didn’t do anything to really make it uncomfortable. …
“There is a reason they’ve got the Axe, and we’ve got to do anything we can to get it back.”

https://twincities.com/

Badgers linebacker holds ‘sour taste’ from Gophers playing ‘Jump Around’ after 2021 win​

Andy Greder, Pioneer Press -

INDIANAPOLIS — A highlight of the Gophers’ 2021 football season was the playing of the Wisconsin Badgers’ adopted song “Jump Around” at Huntington Bank Stadium after Minnesota’s 23-13 win in November. Maroon-and-gold-clad fans stormed the field and danced to the House of Pain song.
Badgers linebacker Nick Herbig wasn’t in a festive mood about that on Wednesday at Big Ten Media Days.
“It left a sour taste in my mouth,” Herbig, a preseason All-American, said inside Lucas Oil Stadium. “We just got outplayed, man. It’s simple. But it’s not going to happen again. That’s for sure.”
This year’s Battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe is Nov. 26 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wis.
It will feature an all-Big Ten, and possibly All-America, matchup between Gophers center John Michael Schmitz and Wisconsin nose tackle Keeanu Benton. They expressed mutual respect toward each other this week.
“He’s a great player,” Schmitz said. “He’s definitely one of the best noses I’ve faced in my college career. Can be a little tricky to get around. Just have to find leverage with outside zone and inside zone and mixing it up. Keeping him on his toes. It’s about gaining that first step and that hand placement, getting inside him.”
Benton praised the Gophers’ offensive line unit.
“It’s hard to slip in blocks, it’s hard to get into the backfield, but (Schmitz) is a pretty solid dude,” Benton said. “But at the end of the day, I want the Axe back. So, I’m gonna have to run through his face a few times. But I give him respect where it’s due. He’s an incredible player.”

Benton didn’t take as much exception as Herbig to Minnesota playing “Jump Around.” But he mixed in some veiled shots.

“It goes both ways,” he said. “They play ‘Jump Around.’ Not everybody can be like Wisconsin, but that is the closest you are going to get, I guess. I guess it was payback from us rowing on their ‘M’ when we won. It’s going to keep going back and forth as long as the rivalry lasts.”
One key to last year’s victory for Minnesota was its defense shutting down freshman sensation Braelon Allen. The Badgers running back averaged 6.8 yards per carry across 2021, including 10.4 in the Nebraska win the week before coming to Minneapolis. The U held him to 2.8 yards per carry. He finished that game with 17 carries for 47 yards and no touchdowns.
“They obviously did a really good job and we didn’t,” Badgers head coach Paul Chryst said Wednesday. “Couple things right away: They had dang good players and they understood their scheme. It’s a good scheme. I don’t think we did anything to help Braelon around it. We didn’t do anything to really make it uncomfortable. …
“There is a reason they’ve got the Axe, and we’ve got to do anything we can to get it back.”

I have no problem with either Badger's comments. Go Gophers!

That was a t-ball shot just waiting for the right swing of the bat the day that Sconnie made Jump-Around their hallmark move at the 3rd Quarter break.

They can Do the Gopher anytime they earn the W...at TCF or Madison...don't care.

As was said at the time kudos to the sports production staff being ready to tee that one up. Memory for a lifetime.

As for how the players in red feel, nice to see that it matters. Hopefully the CFB shenanigans to superconferences doesn't muck this up. That would be a shame.

That was a t-ball shot just waiting for the right swing of the bat the day that Sconnie made Jump-Around their hallmark move at the 3rd Quarter break.

They can Do the Gopher anytime they earn the W...at TCF or Madison...don't care.

As was said at the time kudos to the sports production staff being ready to tee that one up. Memory for a lifetime.

As for how the players in red feel, nice to see that it matters. Hopefully the CFB shenanigans to superconferences doesn't muck this up. That would be a shame.
At the end of the day, it's just another example of their insecurity and their overwhelming need to feel more relevant than they are.

In the B1G hierarchy, they're not Michigan, they're not Ohio State, they're not Penn State, from a historical standpoint, they're not even Nebraska; they're right there with Iowa, a second tier B1G program that's never managed to win when they had to to take that next step.

Cool song though. Good stuff

Just in case anyone needs a refresher

Was definitely a case of perfect execution on the part of the stadium production crew. The announcement over the PA followed by the song.....so cool. Had a birdseye view from the second deck and it was awesome.

This is the kind of stuff rivalries are all about.

It was awesome. If you need proof, just look at the specific people who were bugged by it.

It annoyed the heck out of Sconnies everywhere, and it bothered the charming lads at KFAN, too! A double win, in my mind.
Seriously? That's hilarious.

Just in case anyone needs a refresher

I've watched this video many times. How absolutely perfect it turned out from a televised aspect too (I was at the game). Nationally televised....and it was the late afternoon game. So instead of wrapping up and going to the studio or to another game....they just lingered for the next few minutes and broadcast the celebration.

Kudos to the FOX crew on that. Gives a national audience an idea of how important and cool these trophy games are....even if these teams aren't competing for national championships. It's one of many things that makes college football the greatest.

I also love to remind my Wisconsin friends that the Vikings have two hall of fame QBs. Fran Tarkenton and Brett Favre!

Last edited:

IM JOOOOOOMPING

Attachments

• 0D89F2FE-00D0-4DF6-A9C6-B864F1B1965C.gif
    0D89F2FE-00D0-4DF6-A9C6-B864F1B1965C.gif
    785.8 KB · Views: 9

I've watched this video many times. How absolutely perfect it turned out from a televised aspect too (I was at the game). Nationally televised....and it was the late afternoon game. So instead of wrapping up and going to the studio or to another game....they just lingered for the next few minutes and broadcast the celebration.

Kudos to the FOX crew on that. Gives a national audience an idea of how important and cool these trophy games are....even if these teams aren't competing for national championships. It's one of many things that makes college football the greatest.

Sometimes I wake up and watch this video just to get going for the day. Works better than coffee. Today was one of those days.

It was awesome. If you need proof, just look at the specific people who were bugged by it.

It annoyed the heck out of Sconnies everywhere, and it bothered the charming lads at KFAN, too! A double win, in my mind.
KFAN is unlistenable in the morning. Carl Gerbschmidt should be offended 😎

KFAN is unlistenable in the morning. Carl Gerbschmidt should be offended 😎
What?...you don't like listening to inside jokes and stories from four or five people that talk really loud all at the same time?
And, Carl Gerbshmidt should not be offended, he should be just disappear.

What?...you don't like listening to inside jokes and stories from four or five people that talk really loud all at the same time?
And, Carl Gerbshmidt should not be offended, he should be just disappear.
We can joke all we want, but they have consistently gotten the ratings.

Pack it up, Pack it in, I came to win........................

Well, it happened the year before when we lost in overtime. We outplayed them then, too. Anyone remember Mo walking around right end from the one yard line and we have got the game. They throw a flag for holding on the interior of the line as Mo is walking into the end zone. Damn, it still pisses me off. We get moved back to the 11 yard line and tanner throws a pick.

Someone tell Herbig they've been outplayed two years in a row.

Top Bottom