Wisconsin football schedule rankings: The most anticipated games of Luke Fickell’s debut (#2. At Minnesota; rivalry "is back and as heated as ever.")

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the Athletic:

2. Minnesota

Date: Nov. 25 at Huntington Bank Stadium, time TBD
2022 record: 9-4, 5-4 (T-2nd, Big Ten West)
Record vs. Minnesota: 62-62-8
Last meeting: Nov. 26, 2022, Minnesota 23-16
Coach (record): P.J. Fleck (44-27, 6 years at Minnesota; 74-49, 10 years overall)

Overview: Wisconsin fans can lament the fact that Minnesota has won consecutive games in the battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time since 1993-94. But at least the rivalry between these two programs is back and as heated as ever.

Fleck stirred the pot on signing day in December when he claimed Wisconsin tried to flip Minnesota commit Martin Owusu by negatively recruiting against the Gophers. Fickell said that, while it was possible a staffer from Wisconsin reached out to Owusu — which is not out of the ordinary even when someone is committed — he didn’t know anything about Fleck’s claim and wouldn’t negative recruit. Nothing like an off-the-field exchange 11 months before the teams play in the regular-season finale to get the blood pumping.

Go Gophers!!

I'd say this is probably pretty accurate going into the season. Be nice if THE Athletic saw it fit to cover the Minnesota Gophers.
Is Iowa number 1 on the Gopher's list and Wisconsin 2? Or 1A and 1B? Hard to pick just one.

I'd say this is probably pretty accurate going into the season. Be nice if THE Athletic saw it fit to cover the Minnesota Gophers.
Is Iowa number 1 on the Gopher's list and Wisconsin 2? Or 1A and 1B? Hard to pick just one.
It is my understanding The Athletic does have a beat writer assigned to MN the way Temple is assigned to WI.
I get my subscription as part of The NY Times online subscription but had it before The NY Times acquired The Athletic.
Get a trial subscription to see if they cover MN.

It is my understanding The Athletic does have a beat writer assigned to MN the way Temple is assigned to WI.
I get my subscription as part of The NY Times online subscription but had it before The NY Times acquired The Athletic.
Get a trial subscription to see if they cover MN.
I do Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 3.57.03 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-06-23 at 3.57.22 PM.pnghave a subscription to The Athletic. To the best of my search abilities Gopher Football and Gopher Basketball don't have writers. The two graphics, I believe, are who (which schools) they cover for each sport. Any Minnesota piece is from another school's writer, such as why Roy didn't go to Wisconsin by Jesse Temple...totally written to Wisconsin fans.

All I know is the gophers are going to kick their ass again, then I will be happy for a couple of days, and then it will hit me that the season is over. Gopher football being over sucks. Yes, I know, the bowl game.

I do View attachment 25780View attachment 25781have a subscription to The Athletic. To the best of my search abilities Gopher Football and Gopher Basketball don't have writers. The two graphics, I believe, are who (which schools) they cover for each sport. Any Minnesota piece is from another school's writer, such as why Roy didn't go to Wisconsin by Jesse Temple...totally written to Wisconsin fans.
Interesting that Cincinnati, Georgia, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin are the only schools listed for both football and basketball. Seems to be a Midwest bias overall.

I think they focus on Top 25 schools for each sport but even then they have a lot of gaps. Arizona, UCLA and Arkansas in basketball to name a couple missing.
Oregon, Kansas St, Utah, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Ole Miss among those missing in football.
It ain't personal :)

So it will be 3 in a row. Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom