Wisconsin Coach Changing Axe Policy, Hasn't Talked To Coach Kill About it...

Has Coach Kill or anyone from the Gophers responded to this? I hope Kill or the U releases a statement calling them out on this. We've traveled to the opposing teams sideline twice this year and haven't had a problem. There is no reason to believe there will be a problem in Madison. The Badger players were the ones who created the problem.

The Badger players were the ones who created the problem.

I've heard it both ways, some say us some say them. Who cares whose fault it is? There are ways to fix it without taking the ball and going home.

They'll just store it with the Slab of Bacon. After we win it, we could go fetch it from their locker room, and we might as well grab the slab too. And when they win it back (eventually), we won't have it on the sidelines either - we'll mail it to them, C.O.D.

Has Coach Kill or anyone from the Gophers responded to this? I hope Kill or the U releases a statement calling them out on this. We've traveled to the opposing teams sideline twice this year and haven't had a problem. There is no reason to believe there will be a problem in Madison. The Badger players were the ones who created the problem.

You honestly think it was the Badgers who created the issue last year? They were doing what teams have done countless times before. The alma mater was completed by the Gophers and they tried to get all tough. 2011 was a different story with ****** on the sidelines for the Badgers and a "newer" tradition for the Gophers.

I've heard it both ways, some say us some say them. Who cares whose fault it is? There are ways to fix it without taking the ball and going home.

The badgers could have waited 30 seconds to chop down the goal post. Or celebrated by their fans on the other side of the field. They didn't need to bust through our team singing with the students. I will agree if you want to say our players over reacted and probably should have just left. But that doesn't excuse the stupidity and poor sportsmanship of interrupting the tradition of singing with the students instead of waiting 30 seconds.

You honestly think it was the Badgers who created the issue last year? They were doing what teams have done countless times before. The alma mater was completed by the Gophers and they tried to get all tough. 2011 was a different story with ****** on the sidelines for the Badgers and a "newer" tradition for the Gophers.

Did I say 2013 in my post? No. Thanks.

Gary Anderson just guaranteed that this will be the most watched BTN game in history.

So stupid. How hard is it to rush the sideline, grab the trophy and go celebrate with your fans or the end of the stadium where the opposing team isn't singing their alma mater? Honestly....what a perfectly good way to f up tradition.

They had already 'chopped' down the goal post in the West end zone and then tried to push through a pissed off team that was singing their Alma Mater to 'chop' down the East one. I was giddy with excitement when I saw our players take offense to it and block them out. If you are on here defending Wisconsin- put on your red sweater and pet your cat- you are wrong. All this does is add to the rivalry and give us 1 more reason to hate the armpit of the Midwest.

So stupid. How hard is it to rush the sideline, grab the trophy and go celebrate with your fans or the end of the stadium where the opposing team isn't singing their alma mater? Honestly....what a perfectly good way to f up tradition.

I agree. Idiotic. I wanted us to see us chop down the goal posts.

But a couple of immature Gophers kind of ruined it last time. Oh well.

Did I say 2013 in my post? No. Thanks.

That's fine, but last year was another escalation in the tension. I understand that it's going to be tense. Regardless of when Minnesota beats Wisconsin we're looking at a big buildup of emotions at this point. Hell, when the Minnesota kicker hit the field goal in 2001 or 2003 it was almost a damn riot, and that was after a streak of six. Having it in the endzone nearest the Field House would probably work this year. Again, I think that decreasing the chances of a confrontation after the game is not necessarily a bad thing.

This is football. There is confrontation on every play.

That's fine, but last year was another escalation in the tension. I understand that it's going to be tense. Regardless of when Minnesota beats Wisconsin we're looking at a big buildup of emotions at this point. Hell, when the Minnesota kicker hit the field goal in 2001 or 2003 it was almost a damn riot, and that was after a streak of six. Having it in the endzone nearest the Field House would probably work this year. Again, I think that decreasing the chances of a confrontation after the game is not necessarily a bad thing.

I would have no problem with this decision IF somebody on our side agreed and breaking tradition was mutually agreed upon... as a temporary solution (if it is, in fact, as potentially dangerous as some say).

And to you, Mr. Alvarez, if we do end up winning this game: Your dumb ass had better bring the Axe and the Slab out of that locker room with you. Your dumb ass had better hand them over without a word, since everything that comes out of your mouth ruins everything that was once awesome (see: the bastardization of rivalry trophies, the end of the WCHA as we knew and loved it, etc.). And your dumb ass can tell your football team that the Axe will be on our sideline in the event that you win it back, because to rob young men that opportunity is a garbage move. And finally, your dumb ass can have the Slab of Bacon back if/when you lead the all-time series vs. Minnesota.

Is that fair to you, Mr. Alvarez? Don't answer that. Everything that comes from you is crap.

There is a trophy?!

There is; looks like this:

10276134-large.jpg

That is fine but it needs to be on the sideline for th kids to rush to.

I have to imagine Wisky fans and players are just as upset about this as we are.

In my opinion last year's incident was from YEARS of built up frustration of having to sit back and watch this happen. The players didn't stop Them from chopping down the far goal post, it was only when they came over by the students. Looking back on it, I don't think we should have done it, it's a tradition, but I understand where we were coming from by doing it. It also showed how this team has come together as one unit. They came out as a TEAM and stood by the goal post. This makes me mad. This makes me very mad. Bringing the trophy out and allowing the winning team to storm the sideline isn't just a Minnesota-Wisco thing like th goal post chopping is. This is a college football tradition and should not be messed with. It's great for players being able to run over and grab the trophy and great for the fans to witness it.

I do agree that there is a need to improve the logistics of the victor retreiving the axe and chopping down the goal posts. I just don't think a unilateral decree by one side during game week is the right way to do it. If Anderson was truly concerned about player safety, he would have addressed this with Minnesota in the off-season. The way he did it makes it seem like Minnesota's increased chances of winning entered into his thought process.

They had it in place for their Iowa and Nebraska games this year and things went smooth. Sounds like they want it to be a conference policy.

For stupid made up trophies.....? Not for the Axe!

Top Bottom