Wisconsin And Steroids

PED use is pretty rampant across D1. And there are plenty of back channels for players to get them. But I doubt Wisconsin or any other school is stupid enough to systematically provide them in a way that's puts the whole program at risk of being liable.

Source: I had a cousin start at a major P5 school in the south in the last ten years

I don’t think there is anything concrete that Becky linemen are using steroids. But it is unusual that they can find 4-5 o-linemen per year from places like Sheboygan and Wausau that are 6-6 320 lbs and all have the same body type by the time they are sophomores.

Why isn’t Minnesota generating linemen like that from Rochester and Duluth every year?

The fat kids in Wisconsin aspire to play OL for the Badgers from the time they can walk. Apparently, those kids have different priorities in MN. That needs to change!

I’ve see several mentions recently of Wisconsin connected to steroids. Anyone care to explain what they are talking about? Is there anything to this or is it just baseless excuse making for why we lost?
I heard the same rumor for years about Lance Armstrong using steroids in the Tour De France.

Probably. But isn’t it interesting that the phenomenon has lasted 30 years across multiple head coaches and offensive line coaches? And that they’ve developed that one position group far above the rest of their team?
Seem to pretty well with RB for a while

Seem to pretty well with RB for a while
Outside of Melvin Gordon, I don’t think their RBs have ever done much in the NFL. Ron Dayne was an all-time bust. John Clay, Montee Ball and others haven’t really been successful. Taylor looks like he will be an exception. I’d argue their RBs have looked good in college because of their o-line.

And then have his buddies "like" his post.
You have to admit that he has a point when he states it is pretty pathetic that some Gopher Fans honestly believe that Wisconsin must be cheating, as if there aren't other obvious reasons they have been better.

Barry has his offensive lineman sign off on taking roids the day they sign. The parents agree to this.

I know this for a fact.

Are college players tested for steroids or other drugs?

You have to admit that he has a point when he states it is pretty pathetic that some Gopher Fans honestly believe that Wisconsin must be cheating, as if there aren't other obvious reasons they have been better.
Only Goldteam honestly believes it. This board is pure entertainment, remember?

I believe they are cheating, but I also believe steroid use is all over college sports. Not unique to Wisconsin.

MLB tests like crazy and people still cheat. I'm sure it is common in college sports.

Outside of Melvin Gordon, I don’t think their RBs have ever done much in the NFL. Ron Dayne was an all-time bust. John Clay, Montee Ball and others haven’t really been successful. Taylor looks like he will be an exception. I’d argue their RBs have looked good in college because of their o-line.
Dayne had a 7 year career in the NFL I think he has 3700 yards. Clay never did anything in the Pro's he was in Pittsburgh after leaving a year early from Wis. Ball had an alcohol problem when in Denver, James White is doing excellent I'd say. We have fullbacks in the league. It's no sin to be a good college player who's game doesn't translate into stardom in the league. This is not a Viking message board..Or is it too soon to bring up those guys? ;)

Nebraska, I absolutely believe used steroids back in the day. Another part of the puzzle for why they are not longer, and can't again, get back to the level they were.

Never heard of it for Wisconsin.

Way too much random testing these days, to have an organized team wide program, is my wild guess. I'm sure individual guys at lots of places still try to cheat the system. That's always true, sadly.

Again, I don’t believe WI has any sort of top down, organized PED program. The Lance Armstrong saga is absolutely fascinating in the sense it did involve an entire team, doctors, trainers, coercion, and multiple denials over the years.

The facade only collapsed after a couple former team members went public to support the circumstantial evidence the anti-doping investigators possessed. That’s a relatively small number of people and they could barely keep it under wraps for around a decade. Perhaps if Armstrong had paid them off handsomely enough...he’d still be denying today.

During his mea culpa media tour Armstrong all but said everyone’s doing it, don’t really feel all that bad about it, but yeah I lied ?‍♂️. My takeaway was the sense he felt totally justified as one had to cheat to compete ergo not really cheating...

Last edited:

Dayne had a 7 year career in the NFL I think he has 3700 yards. Clay never did anything in the Pro's he was in Pittsburgh after leaving a year early from Wis. Ball had an alcohol problem when in Denver, James White is doing excellent I'd say. We have fullbacks in the league. It's no sin to be a good college player who's game doesn't translate into stardom in the league. This is not a Viking message board..Or is it too soon to bring up those guys? ;)

The average career length of an NFL Running Back is 3.3 years. Most are busts or wash out and broke.

PED use is pretty rampant across D1. And there are plenty of back channels for players to get them. But I doubt Wisconsin or any other school is stupid enough to systematically provide them in a way that's puts the whole program at risk of being liable.

Source: I had a cousin start at a major P5 school in the south in the last ten years
I believe you. But for whatever it's worth, PED is quite an umbrella of chemicals that have quite a range of claimed benefits.

Steroids are usually a more specific set of chemicals that are centered around the idea of promoting muscle growth beyond what the natural genetics would allow.

Has Iowa been using the same roid program for the past 20yrs? Theyve owned us while having pretty much the exact same recruit and develop record as UW.

I believe they are cheating, but I also believe steroid use is all over college sports. Not unique to Wisconsin.

MLB tests like crazy and people still cheat. I'm sure it is common in college sports.
Do you think we are cheating too?

Isn't the instant digital age fun? You can say whatever you want and some people will believe everything you say. Could it be that the Badger state just produce more HS football players? Wisconsin has 82 players listed in 247Sports to Minnesota at 63.

Sure you do. But you are just keeping the biggest steroid scandal in the history of college football to yourself. You must get your strategy from Rudy.

My brother had his knee replaced in Wisconsin. In talking with his surgeon, football was brought up. My brother lives in Wisconsin. The doctor went to tell how he went to a medical seminar with University of Wisconsin medical staff on it. They said Barry makes the kids on the o-line agree to take steroids or he won't sign them. They were saying this in the wide open public arena. My brother don't lie, and it would be pretty ballsy of his surgeon to lie about that.

On the other hand, maybe wisconsin has those massive giants opening holes for 20 straight years just because of their great eye for talent. LULZ

By the way, who is the last gopher or badger to be suspended for steroids? Anyone know?

The voices in your head are not reliable...

If you think they create those lines year after year after year after year after year by just developing them, well who am I to wreck your cherished delusions.They all look the same, with the exact same build, with the exact same size. They look different than other o-lines. I go to a ton of gopher games, and just marvel at the natural development of the badger o-line every time I see them.

We ain't talking Alabama or Ohio State here.

It's just great coaching or something........LULZ

Top Bottom