Wisconsin and Nebraska to play for the "Freedom Trophy"

If they wanted to think outside the box, they should play for red jerseys. Loser has to wear an all white uniform in this game until they next beat the winner.

Trophies should be rooted in theft (Little Brown Jug), violence (Floyd), or controversy (Slab / Ax).

They should not simply be made up by two friendly governors, administrations, etc - that is not only not the point of a travelling trophy - it is the opposite of the point!!

Fight over who looks better in red.... Every year the team that win's gets to wear red in the following match. Its a terrible idea, but infinitely better than playing for a freedom trophy.

WE'VE GOT THE FREEDOM TROPHY!!!! YEAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!

The funny thing about the Slab of Bacon is that it was "lost" in the 40s and "found" in the 90s, but it had scores written on it through at least 1970. That means that someone at UW was inexplicably maintaining the trophy, in secret, for 20+ years.

There is no question that with the Pig, the Jug, and the Axe/Slab, Minnesota has the best trophies and best trophy origin stories in college football. A trophy should not be allowed without a good origin story.

Let's scrap the bell and not start any new ones. Rivalries can't be forced and a trophy doesn't make it a rivalry.

Let's scrap the bell and not start any new ones. Rivalries can't be forced and a trophy doesn't make it a rivalry.

I thought you said scrap the ball. Which led me to an idea that they should just use one ball.... For the whole rivalry. And the winner takes the ball home. That would be fun in 15 years for them pesky badgers.

dmrdc5-6113clusyk6uy37vj6w_layout1.jpg

Remember the piece of crap trophy they came up with for the Iowa/Iowa State game? This is what happens when you just make up trophies for games. Even if it is a rivalry, you don't need to make up a trophy. The Axe/Jug/Floyd all have a story behind them, as previously noted they weren't just the idea of some administration.

Let them have their trinkets, we have our trophies.

No they aren't suppose to just "create" err force a rivalry. It takes decades to develop a natural rivalry and you have to just let it happen on its own. Plenty of P5 teams don't even have a true rival or play for a trophy. Its not something you should automatically get just because you joined the conference that has like 12 trophy games.

There isn't any difference between this new trophy or the gov. Bell trophy we created when penn state joined the big ten in the 90's

I wish we'd scrap that bell thing with PSU. In fact, I think we should mail them that piece of junk with a note that says:

Dear PSU,

Here, you can have this. And when we beat you again next time, you can hang onto it as a reminder of our superiority.

Enjoy, Goldy.

P.S. - Tell Sandusky to burn in hell.

I wish we'd scrap that bell thing with PSU. In fact, I think we should mail them that piece of junk with a note that says:

Dear PSU,

Here, you can have this. And when we beat you again next time, you can hang onto it as a reminder of our superiority.

Enjoy, Goldy.

This.

Dear PSU,

Enjoy, Goldy.

I actually think it would look good on my mantle. Or the trash. I can't figure out where a more appropriate spot for it is.

So Wisky and Nebby decide to make a trophy for their game, and we bitch about it on a Gopher fan board.

Uh, OK. :banghead:

deludes our product due to a saturated market, I think we have every right to bitch.

Top Bottom