Winston DeLattiboudere — New D-Line Coach?

Ballsy hire for a guy with such minimal experience but these are the hires you get excited about. PJ clearly thinks he's smart enough and good enough to do it, and I bet he'll be killer connecting with kids and on the recruiting trail, originally from MD with stops on the west coast and midwest.

I'm extremely excited that I can legitimately start randomly saying "Das a Lotta Booty Dere" in a pseudo Cajun accent during games again without my wife thinking I'm weird. Well, weirder than usual, anyways. Great hire, always nice to see guys come back.

Is he that good? I know he was a good player, but I don't know what kind of man he is. But the proof of the pudding, as they used to say, is in the eating.

Now the young people say that "the proof is in the pudding," as if pudding was a means to convey evidence.

Is he that good? I know he was a good player, but I don't know what kind of man he is. But the proof of the pudding, as they used to say, is in the eating.

Now the young people say that "the proof is in the pudding," as if pudding was a means to convey evidence.
I'd hazard a guess that even if he's only average as a coach that stopping the rotating door at Dline coach would make the hire a net positive.

For someone who claims to be incredibly smart you struggle with basic concepts like google

Hope Coach D is a good hire and can produce players that can actually rush the passer and create havoc during obvious passing downs, something we haven’t had here in forever. Mafe and Otemewu are good athletes with measurables but production didn’t match. Before them - really bleak. Last legit rush end we had was Karon Riley.

I love this hire. Maybe this can end our revolving door at D-Line coach? I'd love to see Winston D learn from Rossi and take over as coordinator once he departs for a head coaching gig somewhere.

Hope Coach D is a good hire and can produce players that can actually rush the passer and create havoc during obvious passing downs, something we haven’t had here in forever. Mafe and Otemewu are good athletes with measurables but production didn’t match. Before them - really bleak. Last legit rush end we had was Karon Riley.
Willie VanDeSteeg was pretty solid during his time here but I do agree that the DE position has been a weak spot for a long time. Would be awesome to have that true dominant DE again.

Jah Joyner has shown flashes of becoming that type of player. Striggow is solid as well. Both are at that point now where they should take that next step since they have been in the program for multiple years.

Love it! Great for the culture. I’m hoping can also add a boost with recruiting being so young.

He claimed academic All-Big Ten honors in 2019 as a senior, while also earning the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and the Tony Dungy Award that same season.

How much stock do we put into this prediction? Does this person have any real connections to the program to know this?

Willie VanDeSteeg was pretty solid during his time here but I do agree that the DE position has been a weak spot for a long time. Would be awesome to have that true dominant DE again.

Jah Joyner has shown flashes of becoming that type of player. Striggow is solid as well. Both are at that point now where they should take that next step since they have been in the program for multiple years.

Yeah I was picturing VanDeSteeg but kept coming up with the name Grant Wistrom. Willie was solid.

Striggow may be a good contain end but he has shown no ability to rush. Hopefully Joyner can continue progression but our ability to develop talent at the position means we have to bet otherwise. A good pass rush would be huge for this team, which has a long history of extremely underwhelming pass rushing.

How much stock do we put into this prediction? Does this person have any real connections to the program to know this?
Its posted multiple places. SBnation and Saturday Tradition usually pretty reliable IMO.

Greder also tweeted it.

Keep in mind that Fleck's long time assistant coach and oft floundering Special Teams Coordinator, Rob Wenger, has been and continues to be coach of the "Rush Ends".

This is the next step for our defense. Without a disruptive pass rush, defense has plateaued.

Hageman was a beast.

I don’t get how you can have a good defense if the dline play is supposedly awful. There’s more to dline play than sacks.

Yup. A lot more. My theory is that the main thing Rossi did in 2018 upon replacing Rob Smith was change the defensive line tactics. Rossi seems to emphasize very disciplined gap responsibility for the DL to keep the linebackers clean and minimize big plays. The DL will get less pass rush and fewer TFLs, but more consistent play.

Go back and watch the 2018 Illinois game to see a DL and linebacker corps that have no gap discipline and no clue (Smith's last game).

Top Bottom