Winning the west

So, if we beat Iowa but lose to Wisconsin, Iowa loses to us and beats Nebraska, Wisconsin wins both, Illinois loses to Michigan but beats NW and Purdue beats NW but loses to Indiana, I think everyone is 5 - 4. Who wins then? Probably somewhere in this thread, if so my apologies.

Yep....all the can do at this point is play spoiler but the West is out of reach for them.

Wisconsin could still win the Big Ten West.

They need to win out. And, they need Iowa and Illinois to lose out, and Purdue to lose one.

That would be really fun.

That would mean we would travel to Madison on the last week of the season knowing that if we win, we are the West champions. The Axe and the B1G West trophy, both on the field at Camp Randall.

In that scenario, do you think the atmosphere in Madison would be electric?
Already have my tickets. That would be awesome.

I don't think it would be electric at all. a few years ago, we went to Wisconsin and worked them. They were having about a .500 season and there was little atmosphere at all. That was at the start of the game.
I’ve been to many Gopher games in Madison. I have gone to the last 5 there, IIRC. The atmosphere has always been great.

Based on the graphic that Burns posted:

There are 64 possible outcome combos....obviously some have a much higher probability than others.

(And, REMEMBER - that graphic is assuming an ILLINI loss to Michigan. If Illinois beats Michigan, then Illinois is likely going to Indy.)

But, in total, of the 64 outcomes (assuming an Illinois loss at Michigan):

Iowa goes to the title game in 24 of the scenarios
Purdue goes to the title game in 12 of the scenarios
Minnesota goes to title game in 12 of the scenarios
Illinois goes to the title game in 12 of the scenarios
Wisconsin goes to the title game 4 of the scenarios.

Last edited:

Based on the graphic that Burns posted:

There are 64 possible outcome combos....obviously some have a much higher probability than others.

(And, REMEMBER - that graphic is assuming an ILLINI loss to Michigan. If Illinois beats Michigan, then Illinois is likely going to Indy.)

But, in total, of the 64 outcomes (assuming an Illinois loss at Michigan):

Iowa goes to the title game in 24 of the scenarios
Purdue goes to the title game in 12 of the scenarios
Minnesota goes to title game in 12 of the scenarios
Illinois goes to the title game in 10 of the scenarios
Wisconsin goes to the title game 4 of the scenarios.
That adds up to 62.

Illinois will lose to MIchigan, so Iowa essentially does.

But, they don't. Controlling their own destiny means they wouldn't need any help. Iowa needs help.

Michigan beating Illinois is needed for Iowa to control its own destiny. When that happens, then Iowa controls its own destiny. Until then, they don't.

But, they don't. Controlling their own destiny means they wouldn't need any help. Iowa needs help.

Michigan beating Illinois is needed for Iowa to control its own destiny. When that happens, then Iowa controls its own destiny. Until then, they don't.
Thanks captain obvious. jfc.

That would be really fun.

That would mean we would travel to Madison on the last week of the season knowing that if we win, we are the West champions. The Axe and the B1G West trophy, both on the field at Camp Randall.

In that scenario, do you think the atmosphere in Madison would be electric?
It's the biggest sports event in Madison attracting all the undiluted fan and media attention in town. There will be loud bratwurst-and-beer-sated, red-clad fans filling the stands while the tubas march up and down the stairways. Meanwhile there'll be a few hundred fans in gold hoping for a win while preparing for a disappointment. The contrast between fan zeal in Madison and Minneapolis is both evident and explainable.

Gotta love that in the West there are what like 60 some possible scenarios for how it could play out over the next two weeks.

In the East......1.....Winner of Michigan/Ohio State wins the division.

lol I didn't say Iowa DID control their own destiny. I clearly prefaced it with a broader statement that Illinois WILL NOT beat Michigan. jfc

Well, we knew that. The scenarios have been laid out.

I suppose I could just as easily say Iowa won't beat Minnesota so Purdue essentially controls its own destiny. Mathematically, Purdue is the best bet to go to Indy.

At this point, no one controls its own destiny.

Its all good. I wasn't trying to a pick fight. Sorry.

At least the Gophers have a 1 in 10 shot at it and not 0.

Last edited:

Top Bottom