Winning % of teams playing on the road

Reaction score
In the aftermath of tonight's game, I got thinking about how the Big 10 stacks up to other conferences when it comes to road winning percentages in conference play.

I pulled up the numbers (which don't include tonight's games) of most major conferences, and the Big 10 had the 2nd lowest winning percentage when it came to playing a conference road game.

Ohio St., obviously, is the only team with a winning record playing away games. Purdue is the only other team with at least 2 road wins, and Indiana and Iowa are the only teams without a road win. Finally, not including Ohio St., the winning percentage drops from 27% to below 20%.

I'm not making excuses for the Gophers disappointing performance tonight. I simply found these to be interesting stats. Goes to show, I guess, just how balanced BigTen basketball is.

A-10 ---46%
MWC ---42%
C-USA ---40%
SEC ---40%
Big East ---37%
Pac 10 ---36%
Big 12 ---30%
ACC ---28%
Big 10 ---27%
WCC ---24%

I don't think it show how balanced the Big Ten is, but how terrible the officiating is. It's just a fact of life in the Big Ten that you are going to get screwed out of 4-10+ points depending on the venue you are playing at. I'd much prefer to see it called the same way everywhere as I think that would improve the conference and give the better teams in the league a chance at a higher seed in March.

Excellent point. That makes it critical for us to win 4 of 5 at home. No guarantee to win any of the three remaining road games.

Call me bitter from recent games, but I attribute that primarily to the refereeing as well.

Good point...I don't how the numbers break down for the rest of the Big Ten, but here are the average fouls called per game in Minnesota's BigTen games so far this season:

Fouls against Minnesota on the road--- 16.8
Fouls against Opponent on the road--- 18.5

Fouls against Minnesota at Williams---13
Fouls against Opponent at Williams---22.5

Beside home bias from the officials, though, I'm guessing another possible cause for the increase in fouls is the fact that Minnesota has played a tougher away schedule than home schedule. As a result, when the Gophers were losing in the final minutes to Ohio St, Wisconsin and Michigan St., I'm guessing they were more likely to purposely foul.

I don't think it show how balanced the Big Ten is, but how terrible the officiating is. It's just a fact of life in the Big Ten that you are going to get screwed out of 4-10+ points depending on the venue you are playing at. I'd much prefer to see it called the same way everywhere as I think that would improve the conference and give the better teams in the league a chance at a higher seed in March.

While reffing definitely has an effect. There is a pretty good chance that the gophers lose at home to Indiana if they flat out don't show up till there are 8 minutes left.

While reffing definitely has an effect. There is a pretty good chance that the gophers lose at home to Indiana if they flat out don't show up till there are 8 minutes left.

Absolutely, the referees did not cause the Gophers to lose that game, the Gophers played terrible. My point was that in general, the home team in the Big Ten seems to get quite a few more calls than the road team. As for the stats, the Gophers are usually going to be fouled more than their opponents because of their style of play this season. It's more about those 2-6 calls that have you screaming at the TV depending on where you are playing. The Gophers benefit at home as well, more than some (ex Penn State) and less than others.

Yea. I have actually seen real research study data done on the subject that indicates that the only difference between home and road games is on the reffing. Statistically, there is no difference in player performance caused by a home crowd cheering, sleeping in your own bed, playing in the stadium you are more comfortable with.
Statistically, the only thing that a home game affects is the subconscious of the officials.

Did you hear about the Lindbergh baby?

It's been this way for years...

Big 10 basketball on the road is like playing 6-on-5 to 8-on-5 (Wisconsin) depnding on the venue. It has always been that way. It really is frustrating and I wish they'd take it down a notch. However, since we have 5 home games left and only 3 on the road, wait til next year.

Top Bottom