Winning big with mostly Minny/Wis talent...

Is this supposed to mean that the gophers should recruit primarily Minnesota and Wisconsin kids and disregard FLA, TX, CA, OH, etc? As a Badger fan I would be all for that strategy.

MN and WI put out some really good football players, but not enough to sustain a D1 BCS program. I'm sure a few of those kids on UMD's roster could have been successful d1 players, but I think people are forgetting the incredible jump up in level of play from D2 to even FCS football.

I like the fact that the D2 and D3 champs are from Minnesota and Wisconsin. Someone on the Badger board made the comment that Doeren (new NIU coach, former UW D-Coordinator) might be poaching some of the kids that might go to UMD or Whitewater for NIU. If so, good for him.

I think these championships say something about the quality of HS football in MN and WI. It may not be D-1 level, but a lot of these kids are damn good. It's nice to see them get a trophy.

A lot of people would be happy if the U moved down to Division II, and just showcased all of our instate 'talent.'

UMD wins the Division II title, UW-Whitewater wins the Division III title. There is some good small college football in that neck of the woods.

Minnesota and Wisconsin D2 and D3 programs have one big advantage over other programs at those levels: There is only 1 D-1 team in each state and no D1-AA team in either.

The marginal D1 talent has few places to go if they want to stay local. You have to go to North Dakota, South Dakota, or Iowa to go to a 1-AA school.

Since there are no MAC-type teams in either state or 1-AA teams as well, that helps the talent level I believe for the D2 and D3 teams.

Minnesota will always have an elite D2 and D3 team and Wisconsin will always have an elite D3 team as a result.

Top Bottom