Winfield Update in Tampa Bay

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
According to the Tampa Bay Times it looks like Mr. Winfield has secured a starting spot at safety.

Here's the link:

Progress somewhere.

Hot damn. Don't think Gopher fans had any doubt.

Wish the Vikings would’ve grabbed him.
He would have stepped in as the return man, nickel back, and 3rd safety year one. Year two he would’ve started for whichever safety the Vikings can’t afford in 2021

Yikes, no mention of TJ competing for even the 5th WR spot. It doesn't look like he'll make the team.

Yikes, no mention of TJ competing for even the 5th WR spot. It doesn't look like he'll make the team.
Here's a blurb from The Athletic about Tyler Johnson, in their Risers and Fallers section, with TJ listed as a "faller":

"In fairness, Johnson has simply been injured, but it has cost him multiple weeks of practice at a time where rookies need all the reps they can get after a limited offseason. He was back practicing over the weekend but was out again Monday with a sleeve on his right leg; Arians would only say he’s limited by the same unspecified injury as before.

The Bucs really like Johnson, but his absence has helped set a clear top four at receiver in Pro Bowlers Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and top backups Scotty Miller and Justin Watson. Injuries have disrupted the overall depth at receiver, with two players already cut and re-signed, but Johnson is still in good position to stick as the fifth receiver, so long as he can get himself healthy. The others are likely battling for practice-squad spots to develop there in 2020"

Good stuff on Tyler. Fingers crossed...he's going to need a lot of luck on this...

1598807625792.png

More on Tyler Johnson.

If they try to put him on the practice squad, someone will snatch him up, so that’s probably the best option. I don’t recall him being injured much in college. I’m guessing this is a hamstring, groin or something along those lines.

According to the Tampa Bay Times it looks like Mr. Winfield has secured a starting spot at safety.

Here's the link:

Progress somewhere.

Not only do I think he’ll start, but he could be a defensive ROY candidate. He’s making big plays in practice every day.

If they try to put him on the practice squad, someone will snatch him up, so that’s probably the best option. I don’t recall him being injured much in college. I’m guessing this is a hamstring, groin or something along those lines.

That might be in his best interest if he's not going to get time in Tampa Bay. I'm not sure that Tom Brady is going to spend a ton of time developing a rookie receiver at this stage of his career. He's in 'win now' mode.

IR is ok for Johnson. He'll get paid, learn the playbook, get used to the NFL life, and be ready to excel in Year 2.
From the post, it’s not IR like in the past. It’s a 2020 workaround that would keep him out for 6 weeks. I suppose if he’s still injured at that point, it could be season-ending IR. I can’t imagine they want to lose him, as if he goes on waivers, somebody will pick him up quick.

New NFL rules in place only for 2020 allow any team to take any player with a football/ non-football injury off the roster for three weeks. After three weeks, the player is eligible to return to practice, and then within three weeks he can grab a roster spot.
So the Bucs could keep Johnson on the initial 53-man roster and a day later put him on the shelf for six weeks.

Top Bottom