Winfield Selected to 247 Sports True Freshman All America Team

This is a fine example to show the coaching staffs critics who bitch about the number of stars that a recruit has been labeled, and that staffs ability to identify talent.

I flipped the TV on right when he had his pick 6 toward the end of the Maryland game.

I'd like to think I played a part in this.

This is a fine example to show the coaching staffs critics who bitch about the number of stars that a recruit has been labeled, and that staffs ability to identify talent.

I get your point - but, given the choice between relying on a bunch of 2* and 3* guys to pan out - versus relying on a few 4* or even 5* players to pan out, I'll take the higher-rated player. I'm not asking for a whole roster of 4* players - but two or three would be nice.

Otherwise, you're in the position of hoping that lower-rated players will exceed expectations.

This.

Congrats to the staff and to AWjr. Not sure you can actually draw a line through one data point though.

that list was interesting. 2 from Indiana

or one might see it as showing the lack of talent at the upper classes and that lead to him having to play in his freshmen year. What if he now plateaus?

or one might see it as showing the lack of talent at the upper classes and that lead to him having to play in his freshmen year. What if he now plateaus?[/QUOTE

Yes, it cuts both ways.

Kid was physically ready to play when he arrived.

Has his Dad's tackling genes!

or one might see it as showing the lack of talent at the upper classes and that lead to him having to play in his freshmen year. What if he now plateaus?[/QUOTE

Yes, it cuts both ways.

Well I would say travis and McGhee, Hardin and Myrick will all have a chance to play in the NFL one day, a long with Winfield. Talent isn't really an issue with the DB's

Winnie would've been rated higher, but his height knocked him down. It's funny because his dad who went to Ohio State and was stalwart with the Vikings was only 5'9". This kid will be all B1G
before he graduate's.

There are two currently on the roster - Carter Coughlin and Dior Johnson. Where will your goal posts move next?

There are a lot more than two currently on the roster. Mayes, Holland, Hmielewski, Seth Green were all given 4 stars by at least one site. Plus several transferred out or quit like Jeff Jones, Isaac Hayes and Jamel Harbeson.

Jeff and Coughlin are the only composite 4 stars of that group however.

The entire freshman class from this year gives me optimism for the future, even if we performed under expectations the last two years. Winfield was easily one of our best defenders this year, which is saying a lot as a true freshman on this defense. Can't wait to see how the defense evolves as younger guys like Coughlin, Martin, Durr, etc. get more playing time.

And I see that we've already circled back to our never-ending stargument already, so just thought I'd weigh in for once: there really isn't a reason to hit the panic button either way when it comes to recruiting. Coaching and player development constantly gets underrated when it comes to evaluating players for a school. However, nobody in their right minds would take a 2- or 3-star player over a 4- or even 5-star recruit, which it almost seems like some people on this board would argue for. It's just simple probability that the players with greater natural skills have a better chance or becoming great (the stat that says more 3 stars make the NFL than 5 stars ignores the fact that there are probably about 50 times more 3-star recruits than 5-star recruits. But that's not saying that you can't be also be successful building a team with a majority 2- and 3-star players and installing them into a system with great coaching and player development.

I've been very content and pleased with the success our coaching staff has had with their recruits since Kill took over in 2011 and am not concerned that our current class isn't very highly rated. With that said, another part of me would love to see what our staff could do with a larger portion of highly-touted recruits.

I hope he didn't screw up to the point of not being on the team. Really disappointing.

It was fun while it lasted.

Knowing the gophers luck he will probably be a two time all American for Kansas State or something

AW Jr is a very good young man. I have a hard time believing he was involved and I just hope what will probably turn out to be a false accusation doesnt taint his future Gopher career.

Hearty congratulations - and a reminder to go to NO parties, ever, until he graduates.

Top Bottom