Winfield Jr named B1G Defensive Back of Year

no surprised and very much deserving!

And he still wasn’t named as a finalist for the Thorpe Award. There are 15 guys that are finalists.

Well deserved. Would love for the poster who said he was " garbage " early in the season to check back in now.

And he still wasn’t named as a finalist for the Thorpe Award. There are 15 guys that are finalists.

I read something on that and wouldn't be surprised if he gets added to the list late. When they made the list of 15 it was before he really explode on the INT front. It does say that a player not on the list can be named as a finalist so they do allow for guys to blow up later in the season.

He absolutely deserves to be in the discussion for the Thorpe award. Maybe he won't win it though and that will motivate him to come back and make a run at it next year :)

Great, but Winfield should stay in school another year. It didn't do Maxx Williams any good to go pro as a sophomore - he didn't play much, probably would have been drafted higher after a junior year in which he won the Mackey Award and was a unanimous All-American. He would have profited in skills from another college year, too. Same for Winfield, who could be a unanimous All-American next year and winner of the Jim Thorpe Award as best defensive back.

Great, but Winfield should stay in school another year. It didn't do Maxx Williams any good to go pro as a sophomore - he didn't play much, probably would have been drafted higher after a junior year in which he won the Mackey Award and was a unanimous All-American. He would have profited in skills from another college year, too. Same for Winfield, who could be a unanimous All-American next year and winner of the Jim Thorpe Award as best defensive back.

If he gets a 2nd round grade from the NFLPA he should declare (he won't get a 1st with his size), anything lower and I agree that he should stay to bump it even further.

If he gets a 2nd round grade from the NFLPA he should declare (he won't get a 1st with his size), anything lower and I agree that he should stay to bump it even further.

I disagree, he isn't going to grow taller in another year. Probably isn't going to get more skilled or knowledgable in another year. Waiting a year and expecting the same level of performance and buzz (DB of the year, etc...) is risky. One nagging injury that keeps you out for part of the season could drop his stock many rounds. Better to go out on top this year after the bowl game.

I read something on that and wouldn't be surprised if he gets added to the list late. When they made the list of 15 it was before he really explode on the INT front. It does say that a player not on the list can be named as a finalist so they do allow for guys to blow up later in the season.

He absolutely deserves to be in the discussion for the Thorpe award. Maybe he won't win it though and that will motivate him to come back and make a run at it next year :)

A few corrections: there are only three finalists, not 15, and those three finalists were just named 10 days ago, last Monday. Moreover, there were 14 semifinalists named, not 15, and they were named on October 21 - he wasn't on that list either. At the time they were named on October 21, he had 4 interceptions. Even if he didn't play another game after that (it was the Rutgers game), he would still lead the Big Ten in interceptions and be tied for 15th in the country.

Maxx got a 2nd contract. He did quite fine for himself. That first contract means jack shit if you don’t get the 2nd one.

A few corrections: there are only three finalists, not 15, and those three finalists were just named 10 days ago, last Monday. Moreover, there were 14 semifinalists named, not 15, and they were named on October 21 - he wasn't on that list either. At the time they were named on October 21, he had 4 interceptions. Even if he didn't play another game after that (it was the Rutgers game), he would still lead the Big Ten in interceptions and be tied for 15th in the country.
Yeah my bad.

If the award if for the entire season, why do they eliminate a bunch of guys well before the season is over.

Tyler Nubin line one...Tyler Nubin...we need you. Hope he learned by watching AWjr. Great player! Congrats on the honor! I think his size is fine he looks a little bigger and heavier than the Honey Badger (just looked 5'10" vs 5'9" and 205 vs. 174) and he's had an excellent career. Tyrann ran a 4.5 40 if AWjr. Is around there he will be just fine.

How does Austin project at the NCAA level? I know he is quite a bit smaller, but size has never held his family back. Any chance he will be able to crack the depth chart at some point?

How does Austin project at the NCAA level? I know he is quite a bit smaller, but size has never held his family back. Any chance he will be able to crack the depth chart at some point?

Can he tackle 220 RBs with a full head of steam? He would probably tell you he can. He’s small, but he wouldn’t be the smallest P5 player to see the field. I wonder if Austin can play offense or return kicks?

At this point I doubt there is much of a projection of any kind on Austin Winfield. Maybe he can develop into a roll player of some kind though during his time here. 5'7" is very small, the next shortest height I could find with any of our players was 5'10". But if he hits a growth spurt or shows that he can be successful in spite of his size I am sure the coaches will find a way to use him.

Top Bottom