Wilt to Indiana

Yeah, this would hurt. Great to have guys advance and I guess overall it shows PJ surrounds himself with good coaches, but I don’t care for the turmoil. Hope the new guys we add to the staff will be hotshot recruiters. I wouldn’t mind seeing if we could get Addae to come back to Minnesota but it might be hard to get him away from Georgia.

This is disappointing, if true.
Yeah, would like to see a link of some kind before totally buying into it. But if he is getting a promotion it makes sense. As much as we would love for assistants to stay put as long as they are advancing it is a good thing for them and can't really fault them for it.

Yeah, would like to see a link of some kind before totally buying into it. But if he is getting a promotion it makes sense. As much as we would love for assistants to stay put as long as they are advancing it is a good thing for them and can't really fault them for it.
My buddy said he saw it on GI. So if Burns is reporting it, its likely happening.

We had a Co-DC spot open with Harasymiak leaving so this is disappointing unless Wilt is actually going to get to call the plays for Indiana. You can make an argument these two were the most important guys on staff outside of Fleck/Rossi/Ciarrocca. Both of these guys had very good reputations as teachers in addition to being two of our better recruiters they did both parts of the assistant job as well as anyone on staff.

To Fleck's credit he constantly finds guys, so I hope he can do it again. The number of guys who have left for raises and/or promotions over the past 3-4 years is very impressive. On the other hand, I'd sure love to read about whoever coaches Iowa's secondary getting a DC job somewhere and some poaching of some key pieces of the Wisconsin staff as well.

This is all just part of being a better program.

People notice that Minnesota is having success and their coaches become more attractive for promotions. Most of the top programs have a good deal of assistant coach turnover each year.

The alternative is to muddle along in mediocrity and have 58 page threads complaining about the coaching and QB for a solid 3 pages followed by 55 pages of vaccine debates

Huge loss. Wilt was the first DL coach under Fleck to last more than one season and that consistency is one of the reasons the DL had a monster 2021 season. It's a compliment to have great coordinators and position coaches, but dang we need to retain some of those guys

Yeah, this would hurt. Great to have guys advance and I guess overall it shows PJ surrounds himself with good coaches, but I don’t care for the turmoil. Hope the new guys we add to the staff will be hotshot recruiters. I wouldn’t mind seeing if we could get Addae to come back to Minnesota but it might be hard to get him away from Georgia.
This is the pitfalls of Coaching U. PJ Fleck encourage his coaches to follow their dreams. How about finding some experienced coaches who want to stay for the long haul?

This is the pitfalls of Coaching U. PJ Fleck encourage his coaches to follow their dreams. How about finding some experienced coaches who want to stay for the long haul?
Hard I think to find that. Even those who say they want to be in for the long-haul and build something get faced with a hard decision when another team shows $100k+ over their current salary.

I don’t want coaches who don’t want to advance. Being content as a DL coach for 20 years isn’t a good thing

I don’t want coaches who don’t want to advance. Being content as a DL coach for 20 years isn’t a good thing
Agree. What Kill had was rare in having a group of guys with seemingly no desire to advance their careers. Either that or they weren't viewed as good options that people wanted to hire.

The fact that our assistants are in demand says that Fleck is doing a good job finding quality people. Sucks to lose them but can't fault guys for taking promotions and looking to advance in the coaching ranks.

It's college football. Pretty rare anyone sticks around long term to coach a position group.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...*cough* robwenger *cough*

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...*cough* robwenger *cough*
I liked the way our rush ends played last year and I really liked not giving up any turnovers on punt return and having strong punt/ko coverage. If we got a long term DL coach who checked all of the big boxes, I'd be 100% in.

Other than missing on Lantz, I think most of the things that annoy people about our special teams come straight from PJ. I understand the frustration/opinion that people want more out of the return game, but I think that annoyance should probably be aimed directly at PJ. I get the sense that calculated stylistic decisions come directly from PJ.

One of Fleck's issues with assistant coaches are some of his ties to east coast and Schiano. Often assistants have a draw to move closer to familiar territory. Also guys who have be HC's in the past are going to look to be Coordinators if possible.

One of Fleck's issues with assistant coaches are some of his ties to east coast and Schiano. Often assistants have a draw to move closer to familiar territory. Also guys who have be HC's in the past are going to look to be Coordinators if possible.
In the end I think continuity as the coordinator position is way more important than continuity at the position coach level. Don't get me wrong, best case you have both, but as long as the voice at the top of the offense and/or defense stays consistent the team will be in decent shape overall.

Just read his job at IU is DC, not co-DC. Not sure if that was clear above. Replacing their DC that just left for North Carolina. If so, can't blame him at all. Nice promotion. The Rossi tree.

This off season just feels like one step forward, 1.5 steps back so far. Need to get some momentum going.
Getting rid of Sanford was more than one step forward. Unless that one step is kind like this step (sultry or not):

GiantStep.gif

Top Bottom