Wills makes it official and signs national letter of intent

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Per U of MN communications

Wills Signs With Gopher Football Program

University of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster has announced the signing of Jeff Wills (Laurelton, N.Y.) to a national letter of intent.

Wills is a 6-foot 7-inch, 350-pound offensive lineman, who will be transferring to Minnesota from Lackawanna College in Scranton, Pa. Wills was a 2008 First-Team All-Northeast Football Conference selection for the Falcons this past season. Wills helped Lackawanna to a 7-4 record and led the Falcons to a No. 3 national ranking in rushing offense during the 2008 season.

“Jeff is an extremely large young man with outstanding athletic ability,” Brewster said. “We couldn’t be more pleased that he has decided to become a Minnesota Golden Gopher.”

Mills and Lackawanna finished their season on Nov. 22 at the North Star Bowl in Rochester, Minn. The Falcons dropped a hard-fought, 19-13 decision to Rochester in their bowl game.

Wills graduated from Campus Magnet High School in St. Alban’s, N.Y. In addition to football, Wills also competed in basketball and threw the shot put and discus at Campus Magnet.

Wills is expected to enroll at Minnesota in January and take part in the Gophers’ spring drills, which are set to begin in March. He will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending two seasons at Lackawanna.

This might be the most important signing this year IMO. The timing couldn't be more perfect for him AND the Gophers. Seems like he's flying under the radar a little bit which is nice cause I've heard teams like Alabama and Oklahoma associated with his name. Glad we could sign him before those other schools got serious.

I think I share the same ever optomistic outlook and can see this young man developing very nicely for the Gophers. Being able to come in and join the team in Jan is HUGE for JC transfers. That and our new OL coach makes me want next season to start already. All the tools are there for this guy to develop into a draftable OT, he just has to put the work in.

Improved OL play is the key to improving in 09. We need bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Assuming Wills and Carufel step up, our chances look much better. The Spring Game may give us some idea what improvements we can expect.

Top Bottom