Wills and Weber

draftnik2

Reaction score
An NFL scout friend of mine told me that Jeff Wills is the only player on the team that has a draftable grade this year (even on Mel Kiper's board). He also said that Adam Weber is on a lot of teams lists - pretty much guaranteed to be an Undrafted Free Agent at minimum.

At least they have something to look forward to after this season is over! :)

I would pay to see Weber start on an NFL Team...it may be 'Youtube' worthy...

I've been more impressed with Wills this year than I was expecting. I still consider him to be average, but he has come a long, long way since his first game last year. He has a long ways to go if he is going to play in the NFL, but I give him credit. I would think if he can continue to get in shape and get stronger, he would be a good person to get on the practice squad (draftable? eh... free agent signing? sure).

I wonder how many on this board will actually root against Weber making it to the nfl out of pettiness?

wills would be so slow compared to other nfl players he would make hayo carpenter look fast!

After seeing Wills match up well with Kerrigan of Purdue i'm buying the kool-aid... I don't think he allowed him to get a sack that game.

I wonder how many on this board will actually root against Weber making it to the nfl out of pettiness?

I know one for sure. We'll just call him Thaill E.

Naw...too obvious. How about T. Eagle.

I know one for sure. We'll just call him Thaill E.

Naw...too obvious. How about T. Eagle.

THIS.

I hope Weber has a great career. He's given the U every ounce that he has. He never sits out, which means he plays hurt. And Weber has always represented the U in an exemplary manner off the field. If everyone wanted to win as much as Weber, the team would be a lot better.

THIS.

I hope Weber has a great career. He's given the U every ounce that he has. He never sits out, which means he plays hurt. And Weber has always represented the U in an exemplary manner off the field. If everyone wanted to win as much as Weber, the team would be a lot better.

I still think he should be on the bench. I understand that the coaches (Horton) say it gives the team the best chance to win, but to what end? What are we winning? I truly believe the guy is giving everything he has for the team, but again, to what end? Start getting me excited for next year. I understand that if you put in Gray, not every play will be a Sports Center highlight, and we should expect some hiccups, but let's get those going now, instead of during the non-con season next year.

I still think he should be on the bench. I understand that the coaches (Horton) say it gives the team the best chance to win, but to what end? What are we winning? I truly believe the guy is giving everything he has for the team, but again, to what end? Start getting me excited for next year. I understand that if you put in Gray, not every play will be a Sports Center highlight, and we should expect some hiccups, but let's get those going now, instead of during the non-con season next year.

I agree with what you're saying. I blame the coaches for Gray not playing. I do not blame Weber for continuing to play. Players wanna play, and I can't blame Weber for continuing to play. It's the head coach's job to sit his starter and get Gray experience for next year.

Yup. With everything that this team has gone through this year, I think the great unanswered question about this year will always be "Why not?"

The QB situation is so bizarre, you can't help but feel paranoid: maybe someone promised Weber he'd get all the snaps? To add to his historic stats? Gray at WR is a convenient excuse to keep him always out of the backfield this year? (Not suggesting he shouldn't play WR, only that it's odd he can never take QB snaps, even when the game is hopelessly lost, as with tOSU). It will be interesting to see if the Gophers are way down in the second half in East Lansing if all these questions are quashed by Gray being put in in the waining moments.

Wills

The coaches are not going to put someone in who is not ready. Let the young QB's learn on the sidelines instead of putting them in to fail. How would the Gopher faithful feel seeing the future gp down the tubes. Let them have something to hold onto for next year. Time will tell..........

Pad'em Weber won't start on any NFL Team be real. He's a great kid & will excel in whatever he does in life but it's waaaaaaay too many fundamentals he lacks to be even a Backup QB in the NFL...

what is the break down in percentages between weber just sucking and the fact that he has had 5 systems in 5 years?

I'm going to say 30% systems 70% lack of skill. If he had the same system for 5 years he would be a middle of the pack big ten qb, instead of the worst.

Wills has size and I wouldn't be surprised to find him at least on an NFL practice squad next year. He was too heavy last season and put in the time to get in better shape. He gets a chance to work on his technique a little more (and at a higher level) and he's someone who could really blossom.

Wills needs to keep working to get in better shape and stronger. If he had been in a good training program for four year, he would be a lot better now. He still has upside.

Really happy for Jeff and his family. I thought they handled the criticism last year with class, and the OL is one of the most improved, and probably best units on the team, and Jeff is the best of that bunch.

There is an old tale often told in the teaching of Zen about swordsmanship.

In the tale, you meet a young man who's never been in a sword fight. One day he is confronted by a master swordsman and forced into a duel. Not having ever picked up a sword before, the young man defends himself purely on instinct. He has no technique, yet he surprisingly fights the guy off and escapes to safety.

Later, we meet another young man who has been practicing his swordsmanship for some time now. He would be easily classified in the novice category. He's got some technique and appears to know what he is doing with a sword. When he is confronted by the same master swordsman, this young man is quickly defeated.

Now, the moral of this story is that natural instincts and the will to survive are king compared to a little bit of knowledge and technique. Until you have truly devoted yourself to your craft, you are no better than someone simply trying to survive.

Look at Adam Weber his first and second year. The kid was just trying to survive out there - using his basic instincts. Now tell me how much better he got once big bad Jedd Fisch came in to teach him the ways of the quarterback. Who really thought Jedd Fisch and High School Tennis background would be capable of teaching a college athlete how to play quarterback (how he's coaching the same position in the pro's now is beyond me). You want to know WHY Weber regressed? There's your answer right there. Lord knows his Head Coach during that time sure didn't know sh*t about QB play either.

Under proper coaching, Weber could have been a good QB, but I guess we'll never know. Here's to hoping he catches on with a practice squad, learns football from some real professionals, then goes on to a coaching career. I think he's got the perfect personality and presence to become a quality football coach. Hopefully becomes a master of football knowledge to go along with that skill set.

Note to the unqualified Weber bashers...

What the heck do you people think you know about being anything????? Adam Weber is in the top 5 ALL TIME Big Ten Quarterbacks in many catagories. What the heck have you Weber bashers done in Big Ten play?????

Note to Adam Weber: Never let these unqualified Adam Weber bashers get you down.

Note to any U of M perspective quarterback recruits from any and every where: Just take a good look at the way these unqualified Adam Weber bashers, backstabbers and expert know nothings, be nothings and do nothings try to trash a great Minnesota kid who came to the University of Minnesota, answered the call every time the coaches handed him the ball, played through injuries, played without an adequate offensive line, running game, defense, special teams, receiving corps and other support systems, had a constant change of systems, coaches and offensive coordinators and still finished in the top 5 in so many Big Ten catagories. These peole who hate Weber will also hate you young perspective quarterbacks if and when you accept a scholarship to the U of M. The University of Minnesota would be a GREAT choice for you, but beware these bashers, mobbers, trashers and fools.

Note you Adam Weber bashers: It is time that some decent people stand up to you and say "Knock it off..."

Knock it off! NOW.

Note to the unqualified Weber bashers...

Inadvertently duplicated post deleted by author...

Adam Weber is near the top of many categories simply by being a four year starter, that won't reflect in his draft status. They will look at his physical tools, intelligence, and play making ability. I hope he is able to impress when he gets a shot in an NFL camp.

If Weber doesn't look as good as he did it's Brewster and Horton's fault. They have left this guy in games way too long, destroyed his confidence, locked in bad habits. Any other coach put's his backup's in to give the starter time to think about his play and to give the other guy's experience. And often the change of pace excites the other players and they play better. I sat at the 55-0 Iowa game @ the dome until Brewster put in Mortenson....I had to wait until just about the end. You could see the trend then. It's been the same ever since. The two times last year that Gray played he moved the team...tOSU 2nd half and the Insight Bowl 2nd half (yeah he fumbled away the win). How players look in practice and how they play in a game are not necessarily the same. Gray is a better scrambler and right now you need a scrambler! BTW, I'm not advocating you start Gray...just give the other guys a shot at some extended playing time. I've been attending games just so I could see when they would put in a backup---but they never do. And I don't blame Adam for that...he loves to play and he should if they ask him to.

Please...

Thaileagle is right. I can't think of anything funnier than seeing Weber try and survive on a pro football field. And I've said before, anything he shows in the pros will only show how horsecrap his coaches here at the U were. Could be Brewster ruined an average Big Ten qb and turned him into this...

Please...

Thaileagle is right. I can't think of anything funnier than seeing Weber try and survive on a pro football field. And I've said before, anything he shows in the pros will only show how horsecrap his coaches here at the U were. Could be Brewster ruined an average Big Ten qb and turned him into this...

So, you actually want that to happen...sad.

Please...

it is pathetic that little people feel the need to come on this board and turn every adam weber thread into a hate thread.

weber is a minnesota kid who told the badgers to screw themselves. he is a four year starter in the four years in which the Gophers were arguably the worst they have ever been (and they try to peg every loss on his shoulders). those of you who do not like him, fine. we have heard your complaints.

the worst that can be said of adam weber is that he is inconsistent. i can imagine that having a good four or five years holding a clipboard behind a quality QB and a quality offensive line might help him gain the confidence to become a serviceable number 2 QB on an nfl team.

there are people on this board who would be upset if weber went on to have an NFL career, and that is what makes me ashamed to be a gopher fan.

Top Bottom