Will the Gophers season translate to better ticket sales?

How much will this magical season impact season ticket sales?

• Total voters

Oregon Gopher

Guardian of the Western Front
Reaction score
Everyone is excited about the direction of the program - but will that result in Minnesotans opening their wallets?

Yes there will be more butts in the seats. There will be a lot of hype going into 2020.

I’d say in the 10% range. If they can average 48-50k next year that would be great

The last two home games, where the stadium sold out with high prices, will do more than anything to raise season ticket sales. Some of the secondary market prices for some seats for those games were approaching season ticket price levels.

I’ve said it a few times before, but I’ll say it again: student season tickets should sell out next year. Tickets to the Badger game we’re going for as much as $80. Season tickets are $99. Hype will be off the charts.

That's an incredible deal for students. $100 for the entire season, are you kidding me? Plus $10 to tailgate at river flats or state fairgrounds.

What matters is the TV audience. Football has changed and with the advent of big screen, and almost every game being on TV, many folks choose to watch it vs attend. The new analytics metric has to do with total viewers, increases TV rating, and live attendance. Live attendance is down in most College markets. However, based on TV ratings, the Gophers are as popular as ever!

Most definitely it will. Fans are pumped. We have some guys coming back, we have the best coach in the Big Ten. They are going to challenge for a BT title next year. That place will rock all season. Gopher football is finally on the map. Keep PJ around and gone are the days of the past.

That's an incredible deal for students. $100 for the entire season, are you kidding me? Plus $10 to tailgate at river flats or state fairgrounds.
Not to mention $175 for a package of football and basketball (or one night of hockey) and $260 for all 3. I’ve always bought the football/basketball without hesitation.

I think we'll see a slight uptick

I'm renewing my 2 and while my friends aren't getting season tickets, I have friends that are eager to get back to more games next year

What matters is the TV audience. Football has changed and with the advent of big screen, and almost every game being on TV, many folks choose to watch it vs attend. The new analytics metric has to do with total viewers, increases TV rating, and live attendance. Live attendance is down in most College markets. However, based on TV ratings, the Gophers are as popular as ever!
Maybe more people will go to games after that espn commercial fail.

As long as we don't do something dumb like raising ticket prices yet again

I'm guessing the Flats will be off limits from now on.
Probably. Isn’t it true they only caved in because it was short notice this fall?

I think fairgrounds can be a great alternative. Just can’t go there for labor weekend games. SOL for those games.

Stupid thing is, I bet the city probably made a minimum of $10 x 100-200 vehicles per tailgate. For a weedy patch that won’t be doing anything better those weeks.

I believe attendance will be up noticeably next year, but not sure how much season ticket numbers will improve. You still have the annual scholarship donation fees which are way too high. We gave up our tickets of ten years this year and went to the 3-pack (plus trip to Iowa) with our friends and that was fine. I think you will always (except for the rivalry games) be able to find tickets for sale online or outside the stadium at or less than face value, without the donation.

This feels like a positive wet blanket...

I think season and singles game ticket sales will go up, but I don't think the former will rise too significantly. The latter will remain dependent on the team's performance during the course of the season. Having the Iowa game early will help because we should win both games beforehand and the memories of 2019 will be fresh. Having Michigan on the slate will help too in the sense that casual fans want to see games that matter against big teams instead of C-USA, FCS, and lower tier Big Ten teams like Purdue. BYU isn't what it used to be but is also a brand name team and represents a legitimate effort to schedule better non Big Ten games.

However, any significant and long term increases in ticket sales won't be dependent on the performance of this one amazing season. Visible and sustainable increases will stem from multiple strong seasons with few to no dips in between in order to get dormant fans or non fans to truly buy into Gopher Football full force. The 2019 season seems to be viewed as a fun, perhaps once in a lifetime, adventure. I don't get the impression that most of the general public (meaning not those who are already Gopher football hardcores) sees this past season as a sign that now we will perpetually run with the likes of Wisconsin in the Big Ten West and the days of 7-5 seasons and minor bowls are over.

I've been to >90% of home games the last decade and haven't bought season tickets since I was a student. Single game tickets are just a far better value. This year was the first season that i haven't saved significant money doing so and I still probably broke even this year (thanks to buying the WI tickets off stubhub far in advance). I'm on the fence about caving and buying season tickets next year.

Last edited:

I would hope we can sell out a 50,000 seat stadium ! Sure attendance is down at a ton of places but there are still schools that fill over 75,000 seats by a long shot. Plus TV eyes do matter but there are bowl games with far better ratings than ours. Keep winning is the only answer.

Top Bottom