Will The Gophers Play Another Game This Year?

Seems like the final crossover game would be likely to happen even if the Nebraska game gets cancelled (too early to say on that one). So yeah, I think we play again but who knows.

Seems like the final crossover game would be likely to happen even if the Nebraska game gets cancelled (too early to say on that one). So yeah, I think we play again but who knows.
I think big ten may end up canceling everything the last week except the championship

As odd as it sounds I bet we get a bowl invite. By then it’s probably herd immunity
If the players want to play then, sure.

2 weeks of trying to slow the spread should work. How many players will be out and what position groups are affected will be the deciding factor. PJ said everyone is doing okay and that the cases are mild. Hopefully they can start practicing again this weekend. With limited players and a long delay Nebraska could crush us.

As odd as it sounds I bet we get a bowl invite. By then it’s probably herd immunity
If the players want to play then, sure.

I suppose the odds of testing postive would then be lower but I don't believe B1G's process (or anyone's?) includes "well they tested postive before and are better so rules don't apply to them" as far as contact tracing and such goes.

Something in my gut tells me it will all get shut down. Maybe a few bowls, but not many.

There are two to three (if not four) times too many bowls anyway. This team doesn't deserve to play in a bowl. Would be interesting to lace them up one more time to keep the badger rivalry streak going. Other than that, meh, shut er down.

I can't believe it, but at this point I don't really care. Hell, even after sitting through Nebraska scoring 80 some points on us, I was still up for every game that year. This is something way different though. It's just too much of a crap shoot to invest any more emotion into this year.

I think big ten may end up canceling everything the last week except the championship
Why even play the championship then, if it's a farce (Ohio St can't go in the East). Frankly after NW's performance, not sure that Wisc wouldn't get it anyway with NW losing two or more games in a regular season. Their super bowl was against the Badgers at home. Forgot to show up the next week.

But on the other hand, TV money dictates that the Big Ten will try to fulfill as much content as it can muster, without looking like it tried to "force" teams to play against the best judgements for player health.

I say we won't. They will play some games for money but I think with 40+ cases we are too far down the hole to essentially start over for 1 game. They will also never say this but with no Bateman, Faalele, Dunlap etc plus being 2-3, there really isn't much reason to play

Another question, when will Nebraska football have their first positive covid test? Really incredible how they have dodge the virus even though it is running will in NE.

For the Gophers, it all depends on the 21-day timetable. How many players come off the covid list by the 12th, and how many more come off the list by the 19th?

And beyond that - is it worth playing if multiple starters are out and you have to throw out a lineup dominated by 2nd- and 3rd-string players just to avoid canceling a game?

the other consideration is the "total population" percentage. with so many staff members testing positive, it could be difficult for the Gophers to get the total percentage low enough to allow the team to play.

“We’ve had a high number of positive cases over the past week,” Coyle said. “And fortunately over the past couple of days, those have dropped dramatically.”

The Gophers haven’t practiced since just before the Nov. 20 Purdue game, when they missed 22 players from a combination of COVID-19 and injuries. Some of those positive tests were from weeks ago with players still sitting out the mandatory 21 days for isolation, cardiac testing and recovery, per Big Ten policy. But the team then paused team activities the evening of Nov. 23 before officially shutting down the next day when nine players and six staff tested positive from Nov. 19-23..

Fleck said he is unsure of how the outbreak started and spread within his team.. “These are student-athletes. They live in dorms. They are around 55,000 other students somehow, someway, even if class is virtual,” Fleck said on KFAN, adding he did everything he could to create a synthetic bubble around his team but knew some kind of outbreak was likely inevitable.

Of the 47 cases, Fleck said most have exhibited mild symptoms. He said the whole team is disappointed to miss games, especially many of the recent positive players, who will likely miss the Nebraska game as well.

“Our players are champing at the bit to be able to get an opportunity to get back out there,” he said. “But they also understand people looking out for them.”

So we'll probably go to Lincoln short-handed, including obviously Bateman opting out.

Hope enough lineman are able to play. I know this season is BS asterisk, but it would still suck very much to be one of the two-wins all season for both Michigan and Nebraska. Suck with a capital S.

Another question, when will Nebraska football have their first positive covid test? Really incredible how they have dodge the virus even though it is running will in NE.
It looks like they are self isolating in Nebraska. No practice, no class. Stay in your dorms and come out on Saturday to play a football game and retreat until the next Saturday.

So we'll probably go to Lincoln short-handed, including obviously Bateman opting out.

Hope enough lineman are able to play. I know this season is BS asterisk, but it would still suck very much to be one of the two-wins all season for both Michigan and Nebraska. Suck with a capital S.
Agree wholeheartedly. I really hope they don't go to Lincoln and lose with a bunch of backup OL and DL or whatever position groups are most impacted. While the playing time is valuable for younger guys and SOME fans would understand the situation, the public perception of dropping that game and going to 2-4 wouldn't be good.

On the other hand, pulling out the win in Lincoln and then going on the road to Sparty or Penn State and winning that, would be a nice way to end this s__t-show.

Maybe they found the forum and are not playing anymore this season. Oh wait, they did. And that happened.

championship of what? Cheesecake?
Not sure if you’re serious. But the big ten championship.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they played the big ten championship and canceled the other 6 games.

Not sure if you’re serious. But the big ten championship.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they played the big ten championship and canceled the other 6 games.
Watching Gophers vs badgers (and hopefully not turning it off after a quarter) and then a championship with new blood sounds good to me. Cancel the others

This college football season has proven to be a wreck, avid sports fans that I know aren't even watching.

Top Bottom