Will the City of Mpls lift restrictions around the U on gamedays?

No, but I do think that the loss of Washington makes a return of the band to University even less likely. There are ways to run the band down University that don't impede traffic to the majority of the parking. In fact, the only parking that is affected would be the University Ave Ramp. However, that is high roller parking so I can't see them making it harder to get in there.

There are so many ways to generate enthusiasm and interest on gameday.

Why doesn't the band march down Scholars Walk on gameday? Is that not possible? I know that Mr. Diem is not in favor of the band marching down University Ave. as the equipment/etc is all at TCF. Weak.

I wonder how far the UW band members walk to get to the Union?

I always get a kick out of the fools who chose to live near the UofM and Saint Thomas and then spend a good chunk of their lives complaining that their neighbors are behaving too much like .... college students.

It would be great if there were a few smart students, who have political aspirations, that would organize the student-residents in the Dinkytown, Stadium Village, Prospect Park, Marcy Holmes and Como neighborhoods to take over the neighborhood organizations and steamroller the complaints of the fussy vocal minority in those neighborhoods.

The meetins are open to the public. The u also has a designated neighborhood liason in the office of student affairs. The problem is that the neighborhood assn meetings are not the open forums they promote...

Right now the busses from St. Paul come through the the transitway, turn right on 25th Ave. SE, then turn left on the road behind the Thompson Center for Environmental Management before turning left on 23rd Ave. SE. If they changed the busses to turn left at 6th St. SE instead of the road behind the TCEM, they could close that road and put food trucks, beer vendors, etc. there (like the Plaza at the Dome). All the entrances to the parking is from 6th St. SE so there's no other reason to have that road open. There are no houses anywhere near there, so it wouldn't affect anyone.

Right now the busses from St. Paul come through the the transitway, turn right on 25th Ave. SE, then turn left on the road behind the Thompson Center for Environmental Management before turning left on 23rd Ave. SE. If they changed the busses to turn left at 6th St. SE instead of the road behind the TCEM, they could close that road and put food trucks, beer vendors, etc. there (like the Plaza at the Dome). All the entrances to the parking is from 6th St. SE so there's no other reason to have that road open. There are no houses anywhere near there, so it wouldn't affect anyone.

Another great idea. I know all the older alums who remember the traditions really want everything on University, but this and Oak would be the best alternatives we could hope for. Its just getting everyone to compromise and realize on all sides what is best for everyone's enjoyment.

I'm sure I read more than once the new requirment was 80,000. What I seem to be seeing now is 70,000. And yes the NFL has made exceptions, which is the question I asked.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Final Four? The NCAA ruled in 2009 that all Final Four venues must seat at least 70,000 (though, reportedly, they are currently reconsidering this rule).

There are so many ways to generate enthusiasm and interest on gameday.

Why doesn't the band march down Scholars Walk on gameday? Is that not possible? I know that Mr. Diem is not in favor of the band marching down University Ave. as the equipment/etc is all at TCF. Weak.

I wonder how far the UW band members walk to get to the Union?

I think the issue with the Scholars walk would be that it's not very wide in many places so there would be much more limited opportunities to view the band. This is the sort of thinking that needs to happen if folks do want to see the band march again though.

This. You'd lose some of the historical pagentry (going by the frats and all that) but logistically things become a lot more manageable.

I was speaking of the 2009 to 2010 years where Washington WAS open and all lots/garages could be accessed even with University closed off. The city pushed back, the U never tried. Obviously now University is the only vein in for those parking spaces and the U can't afford to close it down. My point was that the lack of spine on the U's part and the arrogance that they'll get their way on the city's part was clear from the get go (despite the U marketing the band down Univ as a key memory to be utilized with a new stadium).

I like any idea that isn't the band simply marching around the stadium. Scholar's walk seems limited, Oak could be cool if they tied it in with a big student block party at the Super Block where the band leads a giant group of students to the stadium. I dunno. SOMETHING.

Really? I had no idea. I remember trying to park the first year, but never tried it since. Anyone do this, are there spots available. We have three tailgate spots, but need parking for others joining us.

Anyone?

I was speaking of the 2009 to 2010 years where Washington WAS open and all lots/garages could be accessed even with University closed off. The city pushed back, the U never tried. Obviously now University is the only vein in for those parking spaces and the U can't afford to close it down. My point was that the lack of spine on the U's part and the arrogance that they'll get their way on the city's part was clear from the get go (despite the U marketing the band down Univ as a key memory to be utilized with a new stadium).

I like any idea that isn't the band simply marching around the stadium. Scholar's walk seems limited, Oak could be cool if they tied it in with a big student block party at the Super Block where the band leads a giant group of students to the stadium. I dunno. SOMETHING.

To be picky, the issues from a parking access perspective are the same now as they were then. Even back in 2009 and 2010, the University Ave ramp would still have been blocked off. Even with Washington closed to traffic forever now, every ramp and lot except the Univ Ave ramp would be accessible if they only closed University Ave starting at Church St. LRT would make the impact of closing University slightly more noticeable because of volume, but ultimately the primary issues from the U's perspective remain the same.

If I hear one more comment regarding the marching band going down University I'm going to throw up. Get over it. Other than Homecoming it just isn't worth the effort. Marching from the stadium to the Coffman Union THROUGH CAMPUS makes much more sense. I would actually like to see the band do a big circle around campus and hit all the tailgating lots and dorm areas (but keep off the streets as best you can).

So why is it that Viking fans can have charcoal grills and bonfires but we can't? Is it the U? Mpls? Neighborhoods?
As we get into late October and November its a big deal when it gets cold out. When we really don't have any options outside of handwarmers and more clothes for keeping warm it is no wonder the tailgating traditions at Minnesota are so poor. Everyone will stay home and MAYBE just show up for the game. I propose that the U of M takes it upon themselves to provide a legit bonfire adjacent to ALL tailgating lots beginning the first week of October. The fire would be run by U of M employees (probably students). I know they would just get a rinky dink fire pit, but just imagine if they took this to the next level and made large bonfires and became a gameday tradition that people could count on during colder games. I think it could turn into something pretty neat. I'm in lot 88/86 and there is a huge grass area between our lot and the river and it would be PERFECT for a nice bonfire where everyone could go hangout at when they got cold.

Just an idea.

If I hear one more comment regarding the marching band going down University I'm going to throw up. Get over it. Other than Homecoming it just isn't worth the effort. Marching from the stadium to the Coffman Union THROUGH CAMPUS makes much more sense. I would actually like to see the band do a big circle around campus and hit all the tailgating lots and dorm areas (but keep off the streets as best you can).

So why is it that Viking fans can have charcoal grills and bonfires but we can't? Is it the U? Mpls? Neighborhoods?
As we get into late October and November its a big deal when it gets cold out. When we really don't have any options outside of handwarmers and more clothes for keeping warm it is no wonder the tailgating traditions at Minnesota are so poor. Everyone will stay home and MAYBE just show up for the game. I propose that the U of M takes it upon themselves to provide a legit bonfire adjacent to ALL tailgating lots beginning the first week of October. The fire would be run by U of M employees (probably students). I know they would just get a rinky dink fire pit, but just imagine if they took this to the next level and made large bonfires and became a gameday tradition that people could count on during colder games. I think it could turn into something pretty neat. I'm in lot 88/86 and there is a huge grass area between our lot and the river and it would be PERFECT for a nice bonfire where everyone could go hangout at when they got cold.

Just an idea.

I like your take on this. I don't know, but I would be very suprised if the City of Mpls is the reason you can't have fires or grill with charcoal at the tailgate lots. I bet it's a U policy.

Marching from the stadium to the Coffman Union THROUGH CAMPUS makes much more sense.

Which is why no other band anywhere (that I'm familiar with) does a loop like that with their whole band...Seriously, that's quite a bit of marching, most of which would happen in parts of campus that aren't set up well for people to watch (i.e. any space between buildings). It would also involve crossing over the LRT line, etc, etc. Awesome in theory, not so much in practice. I love big ideas, but when the marching band leadership seems opposed to any changes from the current structure it might be more productive to focus on something good but smaller scale that has a shot.

I would agree that this is the U's call. Charcoal grills means the U has to provide a place to safely dispose of the coals. There are probably insurance issues too. There are DEFINITELY going to be insurance issues with bonfires, which honestly aren't needed for a majority of the games anyway (layers people).

Top Bottom