Will the change in D philosophy help our DL?

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
As I've been reading about the change in D philosophy, particularly in what is expected of the DL, it makes me wonder if some of our players will actually be better in this new style. Take Garin for example, he was a pretty good pass rusher in HS, but looked lost last year. Could that have been due to him having to make various reads instead of just attacking the backfield? With simpler and more aggressive duties, will he be in a better position to utilize his skills? Any other DL, that might blossom in the new scheme?

What about Michael Carter? If I remember correctly, his strengths in HS were as a man-to-man, cover corner. Cosgrove's D employed more bend, but don't break zone. From the sounds of it, Kill mostly puts his CBs on an island in coverage. Will that play to Carter's strengths and allow him to contribute more?

Any other positions/players whose skills are better suited to the new scheme?

I'm not nearly the film or talent analyst that some of you are, so I'm looking forward to other opinions on this. Have at...

As I've been reading about the change in D philosophy, particularly in what is expected of the DL, it makes me wonder if some of our players will actually be better in this new style. Take Garin for example, he was a pretty good pass rusher in HS, but looked lost last year. Could that have been due to him having to make various reads instead of just attacking the backfield? With simpler and more aggressive duties, will he be in a better position to utilize his skills? Any other DL, that might blossom in the new scheme?

What about Michael Carter? If I remember correctly, his strengths in HS were as a man-to-man, cover corner. Cosgrove's D employed more bend, but don't break zone. From the sounds of it, Kill mostly puts his CBs on an island in coverage. Will that play to Carter's strengths and allow him to contribute more?

Any other positions/players whose skills are better suited to the new scheme?

I'm not nearly the film or talent analyst that some of you are, so I'm looking forward to other opinions on this. Have at...

Several guys should benefit from an aggressive style, Cosgrove's D was so bend don't break it was scary.
Garin, Wilhite, Kirksey, KGM all have some skill at getting upfield from the DL, they should all be better.
It will be interesting to see how the secondary players digest and translate to Claeys's D, Carter could be really good.

Every single year since Brewster was hired the coaches have said the defense is going to be "more aggresive", "reactive", "less thinking", and "more attacking". It has not been any of those things, so until there are changes on the field it's all just talk.

Every single year since Brewster was hired the coaches have said the defense is going to be "more aggresive", "reactive", "less thinking", and "more attacking". It has not been any of those things, so until there are changes on the field it's all just talk.

Except we have video evidence that they will employ this scheme based on their long history together. Why would they change what got them to this point?

Except we have video evidence that they will employ this scheme based on their long history together. Why would they change what got them to this point?

Could be the players don't have the right skill set to get it done.

Could be the players don't have the right skill set to get it done.

But what else is he gonna do? When you've always coach this more aggressive defense, how do you go about learning how to coach something else? Kill made it clear, he's gonna do whatever it takes to find the personnel to fit what he wants to do. If there are no DLs capable of rushing the passer, well then try a LB. I just don't see him changing much of what he's done for so long, especially when you have evidence last season of how not being aggressive didn't exactly work like a charm either anyway.

I read in a post above ,that Carter was in a browm shirt today!!! Maybe best not to count too heavily on him.

I read in a post above ,that Carter was in a browm shirt today!!! Maybe best not to count too heavily on him.

"Carter's shirt said I let my teammates down on the back and Minnesota Lophers on the front."

Tweet from Marcus.

"Carter's shirt said I let my teammates down on the back and Minnesota Lophers on the front."

Tweet from Marcus.

My distinct hope is that Carter, being the only "Brown Shirt" out there, is not getting a bad attitude or trying to prove to the coaches that he knows better than them. For all I know, of course, he just had a bad practice. That is my hope, anyway. Not jumping overboard just yet, but it is disappointing that he is the one wearing the shirt.

But what else is he gonna do? When you've always coach this more aggressive defense, how do you go about learning how to coach something else? Kill made it clear, he's gonna do whatever it takes to find the personnel to fit what he wants to do. If there are no DLs capable of rushing the passer, well then try a LB. I just don't see him changing much of what he's done for so long, especially when you have evidence last season of how not being aggressive didn't exactly work like a charm either anyway.

Coach it, but don't go blabbing about how aggressive the D is going to be. That's a chump Brewster move.

They were just explaining how they teach defense. They don't read the play and react; they try to beat the blocks by going up the field hoping to disrupt the play before it forms. Kill never said it was the best defense to play, or that he knows they will succeed, but it is the one he teaches and believes in.
You don't have to take their word for what they will do, if you came to the Goph-NIU game last year you saw it.
You have the right to be skeptical all you want, but spare us the cynicism when the facts are clear to anyone who wants to look at NIU game film from last year.
You don't have to believe they will succeed, but that is what they will coach, an attacking defense. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but that is what they will teach.

My distinct hope is that Carter, being the only "Brown Shirt" out there, is not getting a bad attitude or trying to prove to the coaches that he knows better than them. For all I know, of course, he just had a bad practice. That is my hope, anyway. Not jumping overboard just yet, but it is disappointing that he is the one wearing the shirt.

Don't jump overboard. Coach said that while he's not going to comment on Carter's shirt, he said that if it was something serious or whatever, he'd shoot to us straight from the hip and inform us what's going on. But he just said Carter's just on his 'special team' right now and that everything's all ok.

Top Bottom