Will the 1st game EVER be at home?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Okay, the college football season begins on the Saturday preceding Labor Day.
The Great Minnesota Get Together ends on Labor Day.
TCF Bank Stadium's neighboring lots are used as park-and-rides for the fair.

Do the above 3 statements mean that we will never start the season at home?

The 2010 Schedule already has 1 away non-conference game (9/11 @ UNLV). Does that mean we'll have a 2nd away nonconf game on 9/4?

THere was talk at one point about legislation specicially stating that The Bank couldn't host a game until the fair had finished, but my memory is that nothing "official" was ever passed. But whether official or not, I just can't see how we could host a game during the fair.

Okay, the college football season begins on the Saturday preceding Labor Day.
The Great Minnesota Get Together ends on Labor Day.
TCF Bank Stadium's neighboring lots are used as park-and-rides for the fair.

Do the above 3 statements mean that we will never start the season at home?

The 2010 Schedule already has 1 away non-conference game (9/11 @ UNLV). Does that mean we'll have a 2nd away nonconf game on 9/4?

THere was talk at one point about legislation specicially stating that The Bank couldn't host a game until the fair had finished, but my memory is that nothing "official" was ever passed. But whether official or not, I just can't see how we could host a game during the fair.

Well, the TBA game on 9/4 next year is listed as a home game @ Gophersports.com. We're also slated to open the season at home in 2013 (UNLV on 8/31) and 2015 (SDSU on 9/5). So the answer for right now appears to be yes, there will be home games during the State Fair.

When you consider one of the big negatives about the dome (could there have been more negatives?) was the schedule conflicts with the Vikings and Twins, it would seem very odd to have a conflict this obvious in their new, on campus, exclusive home.

state fair

The ultimate goal is for the majority of the fair goers to use mass transportation to the fair. One Saturday using fair parking is no big deal. The fair could use this situation to their advantage for more revenue.

When you consider one of the big negatives about the dome (could there have been more negatives?) was the schedule conflicts with the Vikings and Twins, it would seem very odd to have a conflict this obvious in their new, on campus, exclusive home.

Do you mean odd or ironic? I'd agree that it's ironic but disagree that it's odd. Odd implies that the U should have known better or done something about this. But what could the U do? The college FB season starts Labor Day weekend and the State Fair ends after Labor Day. Neither will change. The U doesn't have infinite parking and some of the football parking also gets sold for the State Fair. That's not going to change either. It is what it is.

Jay, the revenue argument might make sense if it weren't for the fact that the State Fair lots are ALREADY pegged out to their capacity, including a turnover.

I think that UNLV game has been bumped back again(seems like for the third time), this time til 2012.

Traffic and parking will just be that much heavier when the two conflict. I really don't think ANYONE should expect the U to give up a home non-conference game because the state fair is happening the same weekend. Plan accordingly, whether you're a fair-goer or ticket holder.

Joel Maturi addressed this during an interview yesterday at the U of M stage.

The U's current contract runs through the end of the 2012-2013 school year. During that time, they can't have a home game Labor Day weekend. After that all bets are off.

Top Bottom